Houston Babies

Using a sippy cup - question

DS uses a bottle for his first and last serving of formula each day (we aren't off formula quite yet) and he has been using a sippy cup for his 2 daytime servings for about a month. The weird thing is he has to lie down to drink from his bottle or sippy cup to do it unassisted. He drinks from the sippy cup just fine if he is laying down. I just don't know how to get him to use it sitting up.

I have tried showing him how to tilt the cup (or bottle) up, held it for him, let him watch me drink, and even give him a drink from a real cup. He just doesn't seem to get (or want to) use his arms to hold it up.

Anyone else go through this? Any suggestions on how to teach him?

Oh, and we have tried cups with straws and when he is really hungry/thirsty he gets frustrated. If he isn't hungry/thirsty he just plays with it or chews on it. He won't drink much (if anything) from it.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

Re: Using a sippy cup - question

• Carter wont tip the sippy cup either, he has to lay down to drink from it. He does get straw cups and does fine on those. So I just tend to give him straw cups for juice or water and milk in the regular sippy cups. I don't remember how Kaley figured it out. I just go with the flow and figure since he has straw cups figured out hes fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I tired juice again in the straw sippy cup yesterday and he was able to use it just fine. I wonder if he finds it comforting to drink milk while lying down. Hmmmm.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Loading the player...
  • imageSigmundsGirl:
    I tired juice again in the straw sippy cup yesterday and he was able to use it just fine. I wonder if he finds it comforting to drink milk while lying down. Hmmmm.

i've heard of other babies being like this.  C definitely would drink MORE out of the bottle than the cup.

you may just have to go cold turkey.  i packed away all the bottles on his first birthday.  We are still finishing out a can of formula and the first few days of no bottles i had to offer the cup often to get him to drink it all.  Now, he's doing great.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageSigmundsGirl:
    I tired juice again in the straw sippy cup yesterday and he was able to use it just fine. I wonder if he finds it comforting to drink milk while lying down. Hmmmm.

A few things:

1- we're still giving DD formula with her morning and nighttime sippy. We switched to toddler formula around 11 months and plan to keep giving her half milk and half formula in the am and pm until she is at least 18 months, 24 if we can get her to. She gets about 8 oz a day, 12 on a day I feel like she didn't eat super nutritious food.

2 - when we switched her morning and evening bottles to sippy, I switched her to the Nuk active cup which is more like a bottle to me me and we kept putting her in her nap nanny and handing her the sippy like we did her bottle. Being in the same spot she took her bottle made the transition easy for us.  Maybe if you put him in the same place he gets his bottle then he'll adjust better?

DD didn't have any issues with tilting but she did have to learn when to tilt and when it was a straw cup (she kept tilting them and of course wouldn't get much out). She eventually figured it out with us correcting it for her. Now we're straight straws during the day (milk or water, she rarely gets juice) and the Nuk for the morning and evening milk. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"