Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Babyproofing the dog's food and water bowls?

There's a challenge for you. Anyone have tips to keep a crawling baby out of the dog's bowls? Splashing in the water bowl is his favorite thing right now. As soon as we set him down he makes a beeline for the kitchen so he can 'wash his hands'.
image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Babyproofing the dog's food and water bowls?

• We are in the same boat as you.

DDs had a few kibbles as well. yuck

• It's really not a good solution but we had the same problem and have started keeping the water/food bowls behind a closed door so that DS can't get ahold of them. Of course doing so we now have to let the dogs in and out of the room so that they have access to their food/water.

Sorry I'm not much help but I do relate to your plight.  

• Loading the player...
  • Yes I imagine it's a common problem! Was hoping maybe there was some magical high tech food and water bowl that babies couldn't get into or something. I hate to put up the dog's water out of reach where he can't get to it. Sigh!

• I have been picking them up when ds is in the kitchen. I might have to gate it off because he knocks the water bowl over and it is one of the gallon ones that slowly let out water.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • our dogs get fed twice a day and eat it all or it goes away anyway until the next feeding (this is a pain but was necessary as my male would eat the whole 35lb bag in one setting if i let him :)... the water well i've just been getting her attention and telling her no.. today she moved on to something else (of course it was the blinds on the french doors butt :) )

good luck 

• imageStephanie2167:

We are in the same boat as you.

DDs had a few kibbles as well. yuck

This too.  DD has had her fair share of dog food recently if I'm not quick enough to get her out of the kitchen.

What we've started doing is feeding the dog in the morning while DD is eating in her high chair, then we take the food away if he hasn't eaten it (sorry, buddy!), and then we put more food down once she's in bed at 6 pm.  He's learned to eat when the bowl is down!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • imagekellygirl_1997:

our dogs get fed twice a day and eat it all or it goes away anyway until the next feeding (this is a pain but was necessary as my male would eat the whole 35lb bag in one setting if i let him :)... the water well i've just been getting her attention and telling her no.. today she moved on to something else (of course it was the blinds on the french doors butt :) )

good luck 

We do the same for our dog regarding food. Our dog is crated during the day (she's a neurotic mess and would eat the walls if we let her roam), so she has a water bottle on her crate instead of a bowl (like a hamster would have). DS has not yet discovered the bottle, but as often made a bee-line for the open crate.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We don't free feed our dogs because they are like 50 lb Hoovers and no food is left after about 2 minutes.  You could try and work on training your dog to eat at certain times of the day.  Maybe offer the food for a certain amount of time, let him eat as much as he wants, and then take the bowl up.  You could start out doing this several times a day and then remove one offering  a week until you are down to two times a day.  Not sure if it would work (I'm not a dog trainer or anything!) but it's an idea.  

As for the water, we just put the water bowl up when Liam is in the kitchen and when he is not then we put it back down.  We are also just really vigilant about watching him when he's around the water bowl.  So far he's only dumped it twice and gotten into it maybe 4 times.  

image image
  • I'm with the pps who only leave food out at certain times, and if they don't eat it, it goes away. As for the water, we will probably ditch the indoor water bowl and just let them use the outdoor water bowl. (We have a water bowl that is hooked up to the spigot outside, and automatically fills. It's a godsend for lazy pet owners.) That should be OK until next fall when it starts freezing again. Then, I'm not sure what to do, maybe LO will be old enough to understand "no".
  • Yeah the dog food isn't the issue - our dog inhales his cup of food as soon as we give it to him. It's the water bowl. And our baby also likes to throw the empty bowls all around the kitchen because they are loud.
  • Ok, honestly, not five minutes after reading this, my DD got into the water bowl for the first time ever. WHY, BUMP, did you give her these crazy ideas??! Stick out tongue

Anyhow, I feed the dog outside only now, otherwise DD was finding these peices of kibble, somehow magically, even after I cleaned them all up after the dog ate. It's like they have a secret alliance and the dog hides some kibbles for DD to find later, just to freak me out. So. Food outside, water inside a baby gate.

• With DS1, we had to put the water ball in a room that the dogs were in a lot but DS was never in (like the basement) after a couple months of that DS started to walk and it wasn't that *big* of a deal anymore. We still had to teach him to not play with it.
  • I keep the dog's food and water in the laundry room, and DD doesn't play in there. 
    Shot first, questions later.
  • imageSTAR15:
    I'm with the pps who only leave food out at certain times, and if they don't eat it, it goes away. As for the water, we will probably ditch the indoor water bowl and just let them use the outdoor water bowl. (We have a water bowl that is hooked up to the spigot outside, and automatically fills. It's a godsend for lazy pet owners.) That should be OK until next fall when it starts freezing again. Then, I'm not sure what to do, maybe LO will be old enough to understand "no".

I need to know more about this water bowl that is hooked up to the spigot!!  What is it called and where did you find it??  I'm in florida, and when I leave the water bowl filled up outside - it just breeds mosquitos!!

TIA

Expecting a bootiful baby Girl this Halloween
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I heard that the best option is to set up a wide board across a doorway that the baby can't crawl over (this is for the early days), and have that be the dog's baby-free zone.  You could keep water and food in there.  I haven't tried it yet (still pregnant), but it's also supposed to provide a place that the dog can get away if the baby is bugging it- better than having the dog get aggrivated to the point of retaliation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"