Houston Babies

Potty Training Poll

Since there have been several potty training posts lately and I have yet to experience that particular joy, I thought I'd ask.

At what age did you first start potty training?  First introduce the potty? 

How did you know they were (or weren't) ready?

Tiny potty seat or ring on the regular toilet?

At what age was your kiddo potty trained? (If it's happened yet)

What method/trick/bribe did you use that worked?

Anything you would do differently if you could do it over (or with the next kid)?

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
Hipster dog is not impressed.

Re: Potty Training Poll

• We bought a kiddie potty about a month ago. We're not really training, just getting her ready/acclimated. She's pretty good about signing "diaper" after-the-fact so we have her sit on it for a little while each day.
  • imageSuzi-G-:

Since there have been several potty training posts lately and I have yet to experience that particular joy, I thought I'd ask.

At what age did you first start potty training?  First introduce the potty? #1 2years 4months We introduced the potty around 2 years 2 months.  #2 we introduced the potty at 18 months

How did you know they were (or weren't) ready?I didn't we just went for it.

Tiny potty seat or ring on the regular toilet? Potty seat because he was scared of the big potty.  Gabriel just used the big potty, no ring, no seat.

At what age was your kiddo potty trained? (If it's happened yet) #1 2.5 #2 2

What method/trick/bribe did you use that worked? We did the three day method with both boys.  Lots of bribes M&M and Skittles were popular.

Anything you would do differently if you could do it over (or with the next kid)?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD#1 was introduced to the potty at age 2.5y.  We didn't start training in earnest until she turned 3.  She was 85% trained within 6 weeks.  By age 3.5 she was consistently waking up dry in the mornings so we ditched her nighttime pull-ups.  She had occasional accidents until she started pre-K.  She turns 5 in June and I can't remember the last time she had an accident.  I consider her 100% potty trained, but it's taken us a long time to get there.

With DD#2 I did a few things differently.  I put her in panties at age 2.5.  She trained almost immediately, mainly because she'd spent all that time watching Big Sister use the potty.  She had a major PTing regression when she turned 3 but has since stopped wetting her pants constantly.  She's still not night trained so we continue to put her in pull-ups at night.  She very very rarely has poop accidents - she hates to be dirty.  But she doesn't mind being wet for some reason.

I didn't use a consistent reward system but I do remember occasionally rewarding them with candy.  The second time we potty trained I felt more relaxed about it.

I think PTing can be very frustrating.  I'd rank it right up there with BFing in the parenting Olympics.  I hear stories of moms who had no trouble PTing their children (or BFing for that matter), but that definitely wasn't my experience.

• We are going to start real training with big boy underwear next month, but we first introduced the potty around 18 months. We have a little Elmo potty seat upstairs and a ring on our guest bath toilet downstairs. He doesn't seem to care all that much, although I like the ring better since it takes up less space.

We started off a couple of months ago giving him a lot of water before bath. Then he would sit on the Elmo potty, and he would just so happen to pee because we'd filled him up. I think that taught him what it felt like to have to go. We praise like CRAZY.

Now, we put him on the potty after he wakes up, after all meals, before bed, and whenever he says he needs to go. He pees and poops in the potty several times a day and seems to have dry diapers much more often than he used to. One thing that I think helped is telling him to say, "Come on body, you can do it. Go pee pee. Etc." That seemed to help it click for him that he needs to help his body do what it needs to do.

He gets one treat for pee and two for poop. The main treats are yogurt-covered raisins, but he also gets gummi bears, M&Ms, or whatever else is lying around the house. Sometimes he forgets to ask for the treat, and we don't remind him! I think it'll eventually phase out because he'll be going so often. 

I am sure we could go to big boy underwear now, but I want to have three full days when both my husband and I are home and focused on the task at hand. Having two of us around wouldn't matter as much if I didn't have the baby's needs to meet at the same time as William's. He inevitably needs to go to the restroom when I'm feeding the baby or putting him down for a nap.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At what age did you first start potty training?  First introduce the potty?  We bought one (a Bjorn potty and a ring) around his first birthday.  We started really sitting him on it before bath around 18 months (expecting nothing - and nothing has happened!  lol).  I just wanted him to know what it was and have a positive experience on it before we "really" start training.  I don't think that will be until he is closer to 3.  He doesn't tell me when he has dirtied the diaper, so I am guessing he could care less right now!  He does want to sit on the potty if DH or I say that we need to go.  He says "MY TURN!" and wants to go ahead of us - but as stated before - nothing comes out. 

How did you know they were (or weren't) ready?  See above- don't think he's ready b/c he doesn't associate dirty diaper with potty.

Tiny potty seat or ring on the regular toilet?  We have both.  I think he prefers the seat b/c he can touch the ground and it's more comfy.

At what age was your kiddo potty trained? (If it's happened yet) N/A (you should add - girl or boy!)

What method/trick/bribe did you use that worked?  N/A

Anything you would do differently if you could do it over (or with the next kid)?  N/A

• At what age did you first start potty training?  First introduce the potty? We didn't introduce the potty until we started formal potty training. No need to drag out the process, IMO.

How did you know they were (or weren't) ready? She was almost 3...time to be ready.

Tiny potty seat or ring on the regular toilet? ring

At what age was your kiddo potty trained? (If it's happened yet) about a month before her 3rd birthday

What method/trick/bribe did you use that worked? gummy bears (1 for pee, 2 for poop)

Anything you would do differently if you could do it over (or with the next kid)? Nope, it was a breeze and I plan to do it the exact same way with DD #2 when the time comes. Unless she is basically begging to do it, I won't initiate PTing until close to age 3.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At what age did you first start potty training?  First introduce the potty?  We bought a potty ring probably 6 months ago, and used it sporadically, but he never took to it. We bought the Fisher Price frog potty a couple of months ago along with some big boy underwear and used that sporadically also until we decided to use the 3 day method about three weeks ago.

How did you know they were (or weren't) ready?  He was going longer and longer with dry diapers and would tell me after he pooped that he needed to be changed.

Tiny potty seat or ring on the regular toilet?  We have both, but don't use the potty ring at all. He much prefers to use the regular toilet without it (tip for moms with boys... sit them on it backward and have them lean forward a little. We haven't had any pee on the floor incidents that way and you don't have to point "it" down)

At what age was your kiddo potty trained? (If it's happened yet) I would say he's 99% trained. He does much better when we're out and about than when we're at home, but I think that's probably because we're more diligent about just taking him potty vs letting him tell us. He is 100% trained at night and at nap time though. 

What method/trick/bribe did you use that worked?  We used the 3 day method and went straight into underwear. No pull ups at all. We also use skittles or jelly beans or M&M's as a reward. We've also used Matchbox cars as a reward, which he actually prefers over candy. 

Anything you would do differently if you could do it over (or with the next kid)?  I don't think I'd do anything differently. G has been pretty easy to train overall I think, it's just a really frustrating experience. Nobody tells you about PT before you have a baby. And nobody tells you how much freaking laundry you'll do either. PT laundry should be its own category on a parent's budget spreadsheet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • At what age did you first start potty training?  First introduce the potty? 

We introduced it at 14mo for DD. She was a regular 2x a day pooper and she started pooping in the bathtub so I started whipping her out of the bath and plopping her on the potty to avoid cleanup. She thought it was fun. By 18mo she stopped pooping in her diaper and would yell poopoo and run for the potty. We did not do PTing until 22mo when we attempted a version of the 3 day method to get her peeing on the potty. It took 2 weeks to get accident free, but she's been in underwear since 22mo.

We just kind of fell into it without a plan. I wasn't putting pressure on her, so I figured no harm in trying.

Started on a toilet ring, but had to introduce a potty seat later because she needed one at daycare (they didn't have toilet access until the 2yo room)

22mo. At least for awake time. She wore diapers for naps for at least 6mo after that. She still wears diapers at night but I *think* we're almost ready to give those up. She's waking up dry more often than not these days.

We did no bribes. We cheered and sang a song when she pottied.

We have introduced the potty to S already, but he doesn't poop on a regular schedule so it's harder to catch him in the act and introduce the concept. He has peed on the potty several times, but I think that was just a brief phase. But I am following the same concept - try out the potty early, but don't push and let him lead.

- Jena

Bought an Elmo potty between 18mos and 2 years to let him get used to the idea. He would sit on it but never did even a drop in it that I can recall. We kept it out in the bathroom for a good while though. C expressed interest a couple of months before turning 3. He announced to us that he wanted to go in the potty and  "no more diapers."

How did you know they were (or weren't) ready? See above.

Tiny potty seat or ring on the regular toilet? Ring on the regular toilet is what he preferred.

At what age was your kiddo potty trained? (If it's happened yet) Right about the time he turned 3. We spent about a month after he was pee trained having at least twice daily poop accidents though.  Was night trained about 6 weeks or so after being 100% day trained.

What method/trick/bribe did you use that worked? Did Skittles at first, then moved to a sticker chart where he earned a sticker everytime he used the toilet and after a certain number of stickers got a small prize. To finally stop the poop accidents, we offered a much bigger reward, even putting a picture of the toy on the fridge to remind him what he was working towards.  I'd say it took about 2 weeks using that bribe to be 100% poop trained.

Anything you would do differently if you could do it over (or with the next kid)? I think we'll stick with letting the kiddo lead and showing interest.

• At what age did you first start potty training?  First introduce the potty? **It was right around age 2 for both of them, I think.How did you know they were (or weren't) ready? **We really just followed the lead of the school they were in at the time.  They just started sitting them on the toilet occasionally during the day, so we did the same thing at home.  Sam got the hang of it quite easily.  Hannah, of course, seemed to be ready  RIGHT when it was time for us to move overseas.  I really think this is the biggest reason why we're still struggling with her potty training.  (She just turned 4 in March.)Tiny potty seat or ring on the regular toilet? **Both
    At what age was your kiddo potty trained? (If it's happened yet) **Sam was fully trained (including night time) by age 3.  Hannah...it's still a work in progress at age 4.  There are times when she will go days with hardly one accident, but most of the time she still has multiple accidents each day.What method/trick/bribe did you use that worked? **Nothing.  Everything.  I don't know.  It's all a blur at this point!Anything you would do differently if you could do it over (or with the next kid)?  **With Hannah, I would have gone ahead and tried to fully potty train her before we left for Singapore instead of only doing it halfway until we arrived.  I think we missed our window.
  • Oh my lord...I can't even begin to comprehend PT Cooper.  I know he just wouldn't get it.  Right now, the bathroom means that he can run in and try to unroll the toilet paper.
  • imagekreeper611:
    Oh my lord...I can't even begin to comprehend PT Cooper.  I know he just wouldn't get it.  Right now, the bathroom means that he can run in and try to unroll the toilet paper.

This exactly. Evan is just learning the concept of putting objects in a container. The last thing I want is for him to start putting things in the toilet.

The only thing we do so far is acknowledge we he is going poop (you can totally tell by the look on his face) and then go change his diaper. I read that doing that is supposed to help him associate what he is doing with diaper changes.

Duchess - L is very advanced. I am very impressed.

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• We introduced a potty chair at about 18 months, no training just letting him know what it is and trying to get him to sit on it.  He *can* pee and poop on it...he just *WON'T*.   

*sigh*  He'll probably go to college in diapers.   :( 

We use this potty chair https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-Price-Precious-Planet-Froggy-Friend-Potty/10727394?sourceid=1500000000000003260330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10727394

It was the only one we found that was high enough in the front that I don't have to worry about him peeing all over the floor!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image

-we started doing EC at 10 months old about half the time

-she made it pretty clear when she was pooping, so I just said, why not have her go on the potty?  Because we started so young, there was never really an issue of readiness

-potty ring on the toilet

-when she started MDO at 18 months, she was in panties in the daytime and able to tell her teachers she needed to go.  We dropped the pull up at night on vacation over Christmas (she did that totally on her own) and she was 26 months old then.

-just communication

-we plan on doing the same thing with Eliza and even now put her on the potty before bathtime

• I started potty training my kid when he was 2 years old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"