North Carolina Babies

Working moms -- workouts?

If you are a working mom with 2 or more children (or one child), how on earth do you fit in working out?  It was so much easier when it was just DD#1.  But now with two of them, it seems harder to step away during the weekend to workout.  And then on weeknights, I'm torn with trying to do more work after they go to bed to stay on top of my job and getting other things done around the house.  Not to mention, wanting a little time to relax before going to bed and starting over again. 

I feel guilty if I have our nanny stay late for me to workout since that should be time I'm spending with the girls.

Anyone having luck with achieving working out, being successful at your job, spending time with your children and husband, and maintaining your sanity?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Working moms -- workouts?

• I don't think I manage all but I try.  I try to run at least once during the weekday and once in the weekend.  If I get 3 runs in the week it is a miracle.  Either as soon as I get home or right after Nic eats I try to go out for a jog.  I have a running stroller so I run with Nic and Pebbles.  We also just started doing a exercise tape last night and I did it after Nic went to bed (8pm).  I think we are going to try to exercise with the tape once or twice a week, and I'll keep trying to run twice a week.  It is really hard  but I do need at least 2 runs a week to keep my sanity.  My favorite are my Saturday morning runs.
  • Recently I've started working out in the early AM again.  My YMCA opens up at 5:30, so I try to get up and get over there as early as I can.  I hate getting up that early, but I also hate being overweight, so it is what it is. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageECUGirl2004:
    Recently I've started working out in the early AM again.  My YMCA opens up at 5:30, so I try to get up and get over there as early as I can.  I hate getting up that early, but I also hate being overweight, so it is what it is. 

Do you end up having to go to bed earlier, and then get less done after Nate goes to bed?  This is the quandry I end up in when I start considering getting up earlier....but I really should just do it.  Do you want to call me to wake me up? :P

• I don't really go to bed much earlier.  I try to go to bed around 10 pm no matter what.  Sometimes I'm exhausted and I go to bed at 9 or 9:30, but that's pretty rare.  It is a big challenge not having much time after Nate goes to bed, since sometimes I don't get out of his room until almost 9.

We pretty much clean our house on the weekends and don't do much other than dishes and laundry during the week.  If there are evenings I need to do more work from home (which I avoid unless I have a big deadline), I just sit down and do it after Nate goes to bed.  Unfortunately, last Thurs I was so exhausted that I made some really stupid mistakes in something I was doing at 9:30, so I've learned my lesson about that.

On days I work from home, I can re-work my day around working out.  I'll take Nate to daycare around 7:30, then go to the gym and get a workout, and get home at 8:30.  Then I'll work for a bit, take a quick shower, and work the rest of the day.  That's what I did when I worked from home full-time and it worked well for me.

• I have a hard time with it too.  What was working best for me (before I got pg and had more energy) was going straight from work to the gym.  DH would pick up Eli and then I got home shortly after.  I get off work at 4, so I could get to the gym and get a quick workout by the time DH got home with Eli at 5.  It really only means Eli's at daycare 30 mins longer, which I'm sure he barely notices. 

But it's still tough, because I know there are so many other things I need to do too.  Sometimes I go straight home instead and have 30 mins or so to myself to get laundry started or something cleaned up.  Or I have errands to run.  It's always something, but I just do the best I can. 

Now that it's staying light outside longer, do you have a place you could run or walk after the girls go to bed?  I did that alot last summer.  This year we're just doing lots of family walks together.  I figure it's better than nothing.

• I am at the gym by 4:45am (I belong to a 24/7 gym). That allows me to get in a good 1 hour or so workout in and then home by 6am (gym is less than 5 mins from our house). This works out very well for me.
  • After DS was born and I went back to work I'd squeeze in a run or workout during my lunch hour. Is that an option for you? I found it worked well for me. It was nice to be done with my workout before I got home so I could spend time with DS and DH.

Good luck. It's hard finding time for yourself as a Mom!

Catching up on sports news...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJPNx2:
    I am at the gym by 4:45am (I belong to a 24/7 gym). That allows me to get in a good 1 hour or so workout in and then home by 6am (gym is less than 5 mins from our house). This works out very well for me.

Holy hell, that is early!  Way to go.

I workout after Al goes to bed, but that is pretty early these days (thank goodness).  And although I always bring my laptop home to catch up on work, I rarely log on.

A key tip that I learned (based on my daily schedule) is to put your workout clothes on as soon as you get home/done from work (sports bra, socks, running shorts, etc).  That keeps me slightly uncomfortable and is a constant reminder to get out there and exercise.  When I do that, I am annoyed just enough by my short shorts and supertight compression bra that you won't find me lounging around.

I'm now in an outdoor exercise mode, but for a while was doing Jillian Michaels 30-day shred.  Each day's workout is only 20 minutes, and you can buy it on amazon for $1.99 an episode for instant download (there are 3).  That helped me get through those days when I didn't feel like I had time, but was compelled to work out.

I hope you find what works - GL!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageraceyrae:

Anyone having luck with achieving working out, being successful at your job, spending time with your children and husband, and maintaining your sanity?

PS - That's a tall order!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJuberP:
    imageraceyrae:

PS - That's a tall order!

I agree! I do all that minus the working out! Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What do you consider a workout? Running, lifting weights, etc? I don't have any time to go the gym, but I do try to run once on the weekend (by myself) and then walk with both kids in the double jog stroller during the week. It might not seem like much, but pushing over 65 pounds of kids and walking a dog up hills is an awesome workout! And I do run with them in the stroller (just downhills). Do you have a double jog stroller and running trails near your house? It is a great workout and a great way to get exercise and spend time with them (we talk, sing songs, etc). Good luck!
  • Its been touch and go with AT ever since he was born of course. Ive done pretty welll though for the exception of last summer with working out. Lately its gotten pretty easy for me. I swear its all to do with meal planning, AT loving to watch a little TV while I get 30 min in and then just it fitting into our routine. We just have those 30 min carved out...DH vegges out, I work out and AT plays or watches tv bf we take baths and get ready for bed.

Ive moved the workout room to the basement which is also his play area. So that helps keep him occupied. Hes also getting better at riding in the stroller if we walk in the n'hood. Thats a hard workout too.....pushing 35lbs is hard! I mostly do Jillian videos and walk. So Im never doing more than 30 min. I try 4 days a week. Mon-Thurs.

What if you take one of the girls with yuo for a walk/run and leave the other with DH just 3 days a week. See how that works and then maybe you can squeeze more time in. Sat, and sun morning are prob your best bet with 2. I feel your pain. I ask myself all the time how am I going to do it when I have 2.

I swear Ill be in the best shape of my life when my kids are grown. Tongue Tied

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"