October 2011 Moms

No u/s for me.. :(

So I guess my MWs can't find any medical reason to suggest an u/s for me right now so insurance could pay for it and we can't exactly afford any elective u/s so I wont be seeing my baby until 20 weeks... :( It also sucks that my MWs don't see me every 4 weeks and I have 6 weeks between my last apt and the next one... So I wont hear the HB until then either. Ugh! :(

Okay. Pitty party over.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: No u/s for me.. :(

• I feel your pain.  I had one u/s at 9 weeks, and then have my next at 19 weeks.  My dr. said that unless they see a medical reason to do one later, my 19 week anatomy scan will be my last u/s.  I am jealous of those ladies that get them more often!!
    Maranda
  • imageJessie0706:

So I guess my MWs can't find any medical reason to suggest an u/s for me right now so insurance could pay for it and we can't exactly afford any elective u/s so I wont be seeing my baby until 20 weeks... :( It also sucks that my MWs don't see me every 4 weeks and I have 6 weeks between my last apt and the next one... So I wont hear the HB until then either. Ugh! :(

Okay. Pitty party over.

Hmm, this is very interesting to me. My midwives follow my state's accepted standard of care when it comes to pre-natal care. Which means they see me every 4 weeks, then 2 and so on (the same schedule OBs follow). I can also get a prescription for an ultrasound at any time. They even let me schedule random appointments just to hear the heartbeat.

Are you happy with the coverage you are getting? Do you know if they are CNM or CPMs?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Do a web search for Angel Sound Jumper Fetal Monitor.  I got mine for less than $30 and it works REALLY well, helps relieve some of that anxiety between appointments!  And much cheaper than an u/s!
  • It does stink. I have reasons: twins, over 35 & with m/c and I still havent seen my LO since my 8 wk u/s. I guess they feel if anything were to happen it would be natures course and they couldnt/wouldn't do anything to stop it so why bother with the u/s. It definitely sucks for the moms who just want to see their LO healthy and OK
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • That really sucks. I also have never seen a midwife. I have Kaiser insurance and see an OB every time I go (or a nurse if it's just for bloodwork). I didn't realize how many women actually see a midwife instead of an OB. I had an 8w3d scan, a 13w scan and I'll have my next at my anatomy scan, which will be in about 4 weeks. And I'm sure I'll have at least 1 or 2 more after that.

I can't believe they don't at least want to do 1 to make sure the baby is progressing okay or to get an exact due date, which you can only do from an u/s.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• That's pretty standard unfortunately. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and don't get another one until 20 weeks. Makes me crazy :)
  • imagechristinaramirez08:

That really sucks. I also have never seen a midwife. I have Kaiser insurance and see an OB every time I go (or a nurse if it's just for bloodwork). I didn't realize how many women actually see a midwife instead of an OB. I had an 8w3d scan, a 13w scan and I'll have my next at my anatomy scan, which will be in about 4 weeks. And I'm sure I'll have at least 1 or 2 more after that.

I can't believe they don't at least want to do 1 to make sure the baby is progressing okay or to get an exact due date, which you can only do from an u/s.

This is not true. I have an exact dude date. I was charting and know exactly when i ovulated. You can't get much more exact than that. The ultrasound did confirm my charting date though. Also, I don't think ultrasounds after 20 weeks are all that common.

ETA: By exact due date I mean I know the conception date and go 40 weeks from there, not that I can guarentee the baby will be born then.

• My ultrasound isn't until 22 weeks! I've been having a pity party over that for awhile!! ; )
    www.mvstephenson.wordpress.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagechristinaramirez08:

I don't understand why it's so important to know the EXACT due date. In fact, it seems that u/s move people away from their true due date, basing baby's 'age' on size as opposed to gestation. If a baby's big or small, I am not convinced that changing one's due date is necessary. Human gestation is 40 weeks. We grow out of the womb at different speeds; why wouldn't we in the womb? 

• Thanks for the sympathy, ladies. I am envious of all of you who at least have SEEN your baby! I have not and wont until June! :(

And I pretty much know the day I conceived down to one or two days so that is actually more accurate than an u/s on determining the due date... I just want to see the baby and see that everything's okay. But I guess they aren't concerned at my appointments, so I shouldn't be. 

We went to an OB before we switched to MWs because he was not open to following the birth plan how I wanted, so I went to people more pro-natural birth than my OB was. (He was very pesimistic when we would talk about the plans we wanted, like trying drug-free, possibly sitting on a birthing stool to give birth or maybe a water birth, walking around during labor, and eating during labor -- all of these he frowned upon and was rather rude.)

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagerachaelski:
    imagechristinaramirez08:

I don't understand why it's so important to know the EXACT due date. In fact, it seems that u/s move people away from their true due date, basing baby's 'age' on size as opposed to gestation. If a baby's big or small, I am not convinced that changing one's due date is necessary. Human gestation is 40 weeks. We grow out of the womb at different speeds; why wouldn't we in the womb? 

I may be missing your point - if an u/s moves you away from your original EDD, that IS based on size as seen on the ultrasound.  I think the concern generally is that many OB offices tend to base the EDD on last menstrual period, but as we all know, we don't all ovulate on CD14 of our cycles.  Having an early ultrasound can help the doctor to get a better idea of the true EDD. 

It isn't a big deal now, but if their estimated date is off by two weeks, they could push to induce because they think you're "overdue" at 41+ weeks based on LMP when the baby is really only 39 weeks because you ovulated later.  If you're going to a MW, they're probably less likely to jump the gun, but it is a good thing to know, IMO.

And speaking of charting.  I charted too, but my baby was measuring behind my charting O date for weeks in the beginning.  I will probably never know if my CHs O date is correct or not, because I think the baby caught up by the NT scan.  Even with charting, it is not foolproof.

• I only get one u/s, too.  I know how you feel!
  • *Bre**Bre* member
    I haven't had one and wont' have one until june either. meh, I'm not really that upset over it. It would be nice, but I don't want to pay for it.
  • You only have four more weeks to go until that ultrasound. Try to find ways to distract yourself in the meantime... decorating, shopping, etc. I'm sure the time will pass quickly. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imageLillyMD:
    That's pretty standard unfortunately. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and don't get another one until 20 weeks. Makes me crazy :)

This is the same for me.  I have an appointment with my OB next Wednesday, but I'm 99.9% certain there will be no u/s as it is at the medical offices.  For my first ultrasound I had to go to the u/s lab. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"