Military Families
Options

What have you done re: transfer season

DH and I are transferring in June. We are moving about two hours from where we are now. I've been looking at places to rent on Craigslist but it's hard to look at places when you aren't there to actually go by and check the place out.

I've found a place that hits all our wants. We weren't planning to move until June. This place is available May 1st. Obviously we haven't seen the place yet, but would you rent a place early is it was the perfect house?

We were planning a weekend trip out to check places out the first weekend in May. I'm hoping I can have them kind of hold it if they knew we were willing to sign a 2 year lease.

WWYD? What have you done before?

Thanks!

Re: What have you done re: transfer season

• Options

We're moving next month and have been searching for rental houses for the last few weeks. We found the perfect place and put in our rental application, and fortunately the owners are willing to hold it for us without charging rent....just like you said, they know we're willing to sign a 3 year lease, so they're being pretty flexible.

It's worth asking! The worst they can say is no...and even then, if you REALLY think it's perfect, go for it...but keep in mind that as PCS season approaches, more and more houses will start going on the rental market. They'll disappear faster, but there will also be more available.

I really hate this in between time -- the stress of an impending move with the added bonus of not having a clue where you'll be living!

Also check out www.militarybyowner.com It's usually my first stop when looking for rental homes...it can give you a good idea what neighborhoods are popular with military families.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We found the "perfect" house before we PCSed, just like you. We paid rent for the two weeks before we got there so we wouldn't lose it. We moved in and loved it. After living there for a year, we hated the neighborhood and the distance from post. So we moved on post. We will not be doing that again. I will choose a house when we arrive where we're moving, that way I can see the neighborhood and surrounding areas before moving in. And I'll know the distance from post as well (and not just on a map) in driving time in real life traffic.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If I were only two hours away from where we were PCSing I would make several trips to get a feel for the area and pick a house.  Even if I had to go by myself because of DH's schedule.

For our last PCS we made a special trip (10 hours in the car with a toddler) to visit and look for a place to live.  I'll never rent a place without seeing it.  Pictures and descriptions can be far too deceiving especially considering they are written and taken by the person who wants your money.  They have their best interests at heart, not yours. 

• Options
    imageArmyQM:

If I were only two hours away from where we were PCSing I would make several trips to get a feel for the area and pick a house.  Even if I had to go by myself because of DH's schedule.

For our last PCS we made a special trip (10 hours in the car with a toddler) to visit and look for a place to live.  I'll never rent a place without seeing it.  Pictures and descriptions can be far too deceiving especially considering they are written and taken by the person who wants your money.  They have their best interests at heart, not yours. 

Agreed!

I meant to add this info to my previous post -- *definitely* make a trip to look at places. We've made two separate trips to our new station (which is fortunately only 3 hours away) to look at houses. We were already familiar with the area, but this allowed us to become more familiar with the neighborhoods. One of the houses that we saw looked amazing online, but was a total dump in person and had a very awkward layout. I was completely convinced that we'd love it, but we walked out saying, "NO WAY!"

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks Ladies.

We are heading out there in two weeks to look at places. Keeping my fingers crossed we find the perfect place and multiple trip aren't neccessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"