Hawaii Babies
Options

Transitioning out of the crib?

When did you (or do you plan to) transition to a toddler bed?

A has been sleeping on the floor for naps and the first half of the night (before he comes into our bed). He does much better there than in his crib, but I'm hoping to try some other options, like letting him sleep on the crib mattress placed on the floor so it's not too bad if he rolls off. He can climb out of our bed safely, but I'm not sure I trust him in an actual bed just yet.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Transitioning out of the crib?

• Options

when you say transition out of the crib, do you mean not in a bed at all? or to the toddler bed?  I am not near transitioning into a toddler bed, but my friend has a son who is 3 & she transitioned him into a toddler bed probably around 2 and then a twin bed right around his 3rd bday. 

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but hope it helps!

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We transitioned our oldest from the crib a few months after she turned 2.  Our youngest is almost 2 and we'll probably start the transition soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it just depends on the kid...will he stay in the toddler bed?  I know for sure Ashton's will be out of the toddler bed and right back into mine:-)
  • Options

I'm trying to get him to enjoy the sleeping arrangements in HIS own room a little bit more. So, however that might happen, I'm open to experimenting... ;-)

imagemrs.winter:
    I think it just depends on the kid...will he stay in the toddler bed?  I know for sure Ashton's will be out of the toddler bed and right back into mine:-)

I figured since the crib is definitely not working for us (standing and screaming, or trying to pull himself up and onto the railing), maybe the mattress on the floor would work. He naps and starts his nighttime sleep on the floor as it is... but yeah, I think he'll eventually want back in our bed. We enjoy it, but I'm still hoping something might "click" and help him stay put.

• Options
    imagelola808:

imagemrs.winter:

I figured since the crib is definitely not working for us (standing and screaming, or trying to pull himself up and onto the railing), maybe the mattress on the floor would work. He naps and starts his nighttime sleep on the floor as it is... but yeah, I think he'll eventually want back in our bed. We enjoy it, but I'm still hoping something might "click" and help him stay put.

Yeah, B hates his crib like crazy but only for naps. He's able to go down in his crib for the night and sleep until 7:30am, but for naps, he won't go down at all so I often just Ergo him if I want him to nap at all. I haven't thought of having him nap on the floor though...or having a mattress. Would you be doing this in your bedroom? I know B would definitely be back into our bed again if he was in the same room =P

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options
    imageinamra:
    imagelola808:

imagemrs.winter:

Yeah, B hates his crib like crazy but only for naps. He's able to go down in his crib for the night and sleep until 7:30am, but for naps, he won't go down at all so I often just Ergo him if I want him to nap at all. I haven't thought of having him nap on the floor though...or having a mattress. Would you be doing this in your bedroom? I know B would definitely be back into our bed again if he was in the same room =P

I would put the mattress down in his room, which is right across from ours. He naps there and usually calls out or wanders out (announcing himself) when he wakes. If I left him there in the night, I'd turn the baby monitors back on again... but I'm sure he'd just come into our bed when/if he wanted. Still, somehow that seems better than me always rescuing him from his crib in the middle of the night. And then there's that glimmer of hope that maybe he'd like the new arrangement and stay more often than not??? I don't want to give up trying!

Of course, last night he did great and stayed in his room without a peep until 4 am! Waaaaay better than normal!

• Options

Many mamas on the AP board who bedshare transition their toddlers to Montessori-style floor beds. Some put their own mattresses on the floor and then put the crib mattress or twin sized mattress next to theirs so the kiddo gets used to the new sleeping arrangement but still has mommy and daddy close. Then, once that is established they moved the mattress away from theirs but still in the same room and then, finally, move the kid's mattress into their own room. You might check out the AP board...lots of mamas who bedshare post there.

For us, we got Libby out of our bed and into her crib in her room. We plan to keep her in her crib as long as possible and then will either convert it to a toddler bed (if baby #2 doesn't need it) or transition her to the twin sized daybed that's already in her room. I am thinking at least until 2 years old she'll be in her crib.

• Options
    imagevanceandlori:

Thanks!

• Options

wow i wish i could get LO to sleep on the floor like that :)  sounds like that is what they do at daycare too... i have never tried seeing what would happen if i did that. i think she'd play too much to settle down though :P

i don't think we plan to transition her until she starts trying to climb out of the crib.  she rolls all over the place while she is sleeping and i don't see how she'd stay put even in a toddler bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"