TTC after 35

Are the odds of IUI working different for each person?

Hello! Sorry if this is a dumb question but this is totally new to us.

We were given a 60% chance of success with the first IUI & he feels that we will end up pregnant after 3 attempts since my problems are mostly age related and the meds should help. I am wondering if they base that on age, history  and/or diagnosis?

Did your doctor give you any odds of success with the first IUI and if you don't mind answering, how old are you?

I just turned 41 years old.

The other thing I am confused about is he said the risk of IUI leading to multiples is 2% and I am wondering if you doc gave you the same %. I am anxious about ending up with triplets (for many reasons) but he said, "Don't even think about it, it will just create more stress. I feel we will be lucky if we end up with a pregnancy and onehealthy & full term baby"

Do you know of any 40- 41 year olds who had IUI and it worked right away?

Thank you.

Re: Are the odds of IUI working different for each person?

• The short answer is yes. I have heard/read percentages like 10-20% for a normal person using IUI and half that for someone with endometriosis (such as myself).

The problem with IUI is that percentage chance success rates are not cumulative-- every time you have one, it is like starting over chance-wise.

60% chance success rate for an IUI seems awfully high to me-- that is on the order of success for IVF for a younger person at a good clinic.

We have ladies over 40 here who have found success with IUI (not sure about right away).

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Yes, the odds are different depending on your situation. I agree that 60% sounds extremely high. I've never heard that before. What drug are you taking? The percentages go up with injectable drugs versus clomid/femara.

Here's my situation: I'm 37.  I did clomid on the first IUI. I was given a 6-8% chance of it working. Rather crappy, right?

I just did my 2nd IUI but with a good dose of follistim(injectable). We still only have a 15% chance of it working. 

I have lower odds since my FSH is elevated/AMH is lower than it "should' be. But I've never heard of 60% odds for an IUI--sounds more like IVF figures to me.

As for multiples: you need to be monitored by ultrasound to make sure you only have a few follicles at most.  If you produce too many, your RE should cancel the cycle since the risk of high order multiples would be too great.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • I mostly lurk on this board but I have some experience with successful IUI.  Both DH & I had full work-ups to make sure nothing was missed but we still ended up with that scary monkier "undiagnosed infertility".  Ugh. Google that term.  Not good at all.

Anyway, I am 36 (will be 37 when I deliver) and got PG on my 1st IUI.  I know it takes a painfully long time for most other women and I was completely prepared to be on this journey for a while but we got very, very, very lucky.  My RE reminded me that this doesn't happen that often.  In all my research, I never came across anything like a 60% chance of a +.  Maybe based on your age and overall health this is his educated opinion? 

And as far as multiples go - We were told a 2-3% chance higher than natural conception.  Also, with the follicle studies you do beforehand you will know exactly how many eggs are there and ready to be fertilized.  I don't know if I could have gone through  with an IUI if I ever saw 3 big, fat eggs waiting....

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• I appreciate your input so much! I will clarify with him when I see him at our next appt. Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed when I am  getting hit with so much information and I want to make sure I heard that correctly.

Thank you

• What my RE told me is that the average person has about a 20% chance of getting pregnant each month and you can drop that by 5% if you are over 35, but bump it back up if you are on meds.

Twins are about 7% on a drug like Clomid. When my RE saw two healthy follicles during my monitoring ultrasound, he said chances of twins are now about 10%. Triplets is less than 1% on Clomid.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • We were told 60-70% with IVF. IUI is arounf 10-15%. I'm 35, DH is 45. We don't have any issues other than age (all tests have come back in the normal range)

• I had my first IUI this morning after Clomid and Injectable....my RE says he has high hopes that I will be pregnant with this cycle.....maybe with twins. I don't mind twins, it means that I will be done!

All my tests came out great, including the in between blood tests.  Fingers crossed. 

BTW Im 39, 40 in Dec

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Me - 41 DH - 28 **** Proud mom to Christopher, dob 7/15/92 **** Nathaniel dob 1/18/05 -1/18/05 (8 mos) in heaven **** bfp 8/26/10 m/c 10/14/10 at 7 wks. **** D&C 10/15/10 **** Cycles 1-4 BFN's **** Cycle #5 - 100 mg Clomid **** IUI #1 - 04/23/11 and 4/24/11 - 5/8/11 IUI #1 = BFFN BFP 10/14/11 - EDD 6/22/12** Stick little one Stick! Athena Jane 5/31/12 - 8/28/12
  • imagecalibride2005:

I had my first IUI this morning after Clomid and Injectable....my RE says he has high hopes that I will be pregnant with this cycle.....maybe with twins. I don't mind twins, it means that I will be done!

All my tests came out great, including the in between blood tests.  Fingers crossed. 

BTW Im 39, 40 in Dec

Good Luck!!!!

• These are the odds my RE gives for IUI success:

Donor insemination with cryopreserved sperm 10 to 15%
    Abnormal husband?s sperm count 4 to 8%
    Cervical mucus factors 10 to 15%
    Antisperm antibodies 10 to 15%
    Unexplained infertility with clomiphene citrate 5 to 10%
    Unexplained infertility with gonadotropins 15 to 20%

They also said that after 3 or 4 IUI's success rates drop.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My dr didn't talk to me about multiples.  :

I had three IUI's

#1-Clomid-two mature follies=BFN

#2-Clomid and Trigger-two follies=BFN

#3-Injects, Trigger and progesterone-two follies-BFP-Both took-twins

I was 37 with Emerson (my singleton) and 39 with Hudson and Landry.  DX was unexplained secondary IF.

GL to you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"