Military Families

In need of some advice...

We recently found out we are pregnant after only 3months trying. Neither of us expected it to happen this fast and now everything is overwhelming. I went to the clinic last week, and got it confirmed by blood test, and talked to a nurse a little bit. Today I am 5W+6 due December 21.

The next appointment will be at 8 weeks. It's a pregnancy class with up to 5 other women where they go through this packet of do's and dont's then give you one on one time with a nurse to ask questions and set up the first OB appointment. My first appointment with an OB won't be until about 12 weeks and it is completely freaking me out! The nurse assured me this is standard (BTW we are Tricare Prime and using the military doctor), since most M/C happen in the first trimester they wait until most of the risk is gone to schedule your appointment. Is this normal? I hear of so many women having ultrasounds etc as early as 7 weeks, and I realize that the military has their own way of doing things, I guess I just need some reassurance.

Any stories about your experience with prenatal care and military doctors would be greatly appreciated. This is my first pregnancy and need to know when I should push to have something done sooner, or when it is ok to go with the flow. It's so easy to be worried, not knowing what's going on inside me.

BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
imageimage

Re: In need of some advice...

• NSLNSL member
    That appointment timeline is standard in both military and civilan practices. It's unnerving when it's your first, but you're not receiving substandard care. Get some prenatals and try to be patient.
  • I had a miscarriage and went every single week for an appointment and us and sometimes twice. No amount of monitoring can stop a miscarriage if it is going to happen. When they did your blood work did they check your progesterone and thyroid? That is the only thing I can see being helpful but even if they are out of whack and they put you on progesterone and thyroid medications it may not even help. 30% of pregnancies end in miscarriages and although they suck I think there is probably a reason why the baby didn't survive but going to the doctor earlier/more frequently won't stop a miscarriage from happening if it is going to happen.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Loading the player...
  • imageNSL:
    That appointment timeline is standard in both military and civilan practices. It's unnerving when it's your first, but you're not receiving substandard care. Get some prenatals and try to be patient.

This.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In my experience, you will have an ultrasound between 8-10 weeks. It will be an appointment all on its own. Around 11-12 weeks, you will see the actual OB, and you will have a pap done. It is completely standard when going to a MTF.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Completely normal.  My first appointment which is the class/blood work I will be 9 weeks and then we schedule the next appointment.

It was the same thing when I was pregnant with my son in 2009 too.

Try not to stress to much, it will all be fine! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all so much for the replies. It is comforting to know that this is standard procedure. Patience has never been my strong quality but it's never too late to practice! 

I heard a horrible story about a woman here that didn't have her first u/s until 20 weeks only to find out that her baby was dead. I try not to dwell on the sad stories, and understand that there is probably nothing that could have prevented this, but I can't help but think that the emotional damage may have been less if she found out sooner. 

I am determined to keep happy thoughts and try to enjoy every minute of this pregnancy. Having the input of other women who have already done this and/or are going through it right now really does help. Especially since we have not told family yet. Thank you all again! 

BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
    imageimage
  • imageTussie Mussie:

Thank you all so much for the replies. It is comforting to know that this is standard procedure. Patience has never been my strong quality but it's never too late to practice! 

I heard a horrible story about a woman here that didn't have her first u/s until 20 weeks only to find out that her baby was dead. I try not to dwell on the sad stories, and understand that there is probably nothing that could have prevented this, but I can't help but think that the emotional damage may have been less if she found out sooner. 

I am determined to keep happy thoughts and try to enjoy every minute of this pregnancy. Having the input of other women who have already done this and/or are going through it right now really does help. Especially since we have not told family yet. Thank you all again! 

Trust me there's nothing that makes it easier when you find out earlier.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"