Pre-School and Daycare

SCARED OF PUBLIC POTTY

Any ones kid scared of public potties. DD wants to only use her bathroom at home. She's 3 and been potty trained since 2.

Re: SCARED OF PUBLIC POTTY

• My daughter used to be. I got the advice on here to sit behind her on the big potty. Like her back to your stomach...I think my daughter was afraid of falling in. Plus, you sitting in front of the auto flush sensor won't make it go off right away :) Hope that helps ya!
  • My 3 year old used to get nervous with public potties.  She finally told me that they are really high and she is afraid of falling - we used to always use the handicapped stall so I had more room but now we don't and she does so much better.  I have also used the stand behind her method which also helped a ton.  Basically (this is a bit gross but sometimes you have no choice) I stand over the toilet and then have her sitting in front of me so my legs are sort of around her and she can totally feel me behind her.  I only had to do this a handfull of times before she got over the fear.  I also always have a travel potty in the car - just in case - I bring it with us to places that I know will have long lines or no bathroom close by.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • CD+ALCD+AL member
    DS was afraid of the autoflush until I figured out how to totally, fool-proof outsmart it.  I keep post-it notes in the diaper bag (would keep in my purse if I didn't have another LO and need the diaper bag) and stick one over the sensor.  On occasion for one reason or another, I won't have the diaper bag w/me, and as long as it's not the wall-mounted type of sensor, I can improvise by draping a piece of toilet paper over the sensor instead.  As long as I do one of these two things, DS is cool with the public potty.

• imageCD+AL:
    DS was afraid of the autoflush until I figured out how to totally, fool-proof outsmart it.  I keep post-it notes in the diaper bag (would keep in my purse if I didn't have another LO and need the diaper bag) and stick one over the sensor.  On occasion for one reason or another, I won't have the diaper bag w/me, and as long as it's not the wall-mounted type of sensor, I can improvise by draping a piece of toilet paper over the sensor instead.  As long as I do one of these two things, DS is cool with the public potty.

I do this.

I also used to squat in front of her and hold the small of her back while she did a death grip on my neck.

- Jena
  • My DD was scared of the auto-sensors, the height, and the fact that there were other people and toilets flushing that weren't ours.  

The sensors I didn't find a solution, but it sounds like PP have a trick for that.  The height issue I could help by squatting in front of her, let her hang onto my neck, and I would hug her, which made her feel more secure up there.  The other people being in the bathroom issue, I would try to go into the family bathroom/companion assist bathroom, which was a single stall private bathroom.   That wasn't always available, so I would just to wait it out a bit to see if the bathroom emptied, but really time and talking about it just fixed this.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ditto the above, cover the auto sensor, sit with peanut.... still dd would hold it all day and then ask to go home rather than go to the potty until recently. yes, this went on for 2 years... all thanks to the New Orleans airport. ; )  
  • I carry post-it notes in my purse to put over the sensors and would hold DDs arm when she would be afraid of falling in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• DS is like this. He hates the ones that flush automatically. I think it's because they're so loud. He's getting better but still has anxiety about it sometimes.
  • CD+ALCD+AL member
    I forgot to mention that I take the kids out of the stall before reaching back in to uncover the sensor.  For one, the loud flush scares them, but it's also kind of gross to be right there in the stall when it flushes b/c they flush so hard and spray everywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"