South Florida Babies

convertible car seats and new AAP recommendation

I'm looking into getting a rear-facing convertible car seat for Elise soon.  She is getting too big and too heavy for the carrier.  Even if I leave the carrier inside the car, it is difficult to take her in and out of it because of it's design.

I'm looking into different models and I would like to leave her rear-facing for up to 2 years like the new guidelines recommend.  However, I notice in the descriptions of the car seats that they are rear-facing for certain weight ranges and then forward-facing for another weight range.   Does that mean that when the child reaches that weight, the seat MUST be changed? Or, can you still use it rear-facing?  Also, do you think new car seat models will be made soon that will adhere to the new guidelines?  Lastly, which would you recommend to leave rear-facing as long as possible?

Re: convertible car seats and new AAP recommendation

• Does that mean that when the child reaches that weight, the seat MUST be changed?

Yes, you have to go by the RFing restrictions for height and weight per the seat's manual.  Many convertibles are RFing until 35 lbs (Britax Marathon Classic, True Fit etc) and then have a FFing limit of around 65 lbs.  Some of the newer Britax models RF until 40 lbs.  Some have an even higher RFing limit like the Sunshine Kids 80 which RF until 45 lbs.  

Also, do you think new car seat models will be made soon that will adhere to the new guidelines? 

Well there are plenty of options out there now for extended RFing.  Some manufacters are starting to put new seats out there that have slightly larger RFing limits like Britax.  But eventually there will probably be more on the market.

Lastly, which would you recommend to leave rear-facing as long as possibl e?

Yes, they are 6 times safer RFing than FFing.  I don't want to move Andrew FF until we absolutely have to. 

Andrew is almost 2.5 years old and he's still RFing at approx 32 lbs.  I haven't weighed him in a while though.  I've been meaning to because our seat maxes out at RFing at 35 lbs.  FWIW he's usually right around the 50% for weight and 70% for height, not a big or small kid.

Remember their weight gain slows way down during the second year.  They may only gain 3-5 lbs.  Your pedi may help you figure her approx growth based on her growth chart. 

So if you get a seat that RF up to 40 lbs, she could be in it until 3 yo or so depending on her growth.  Do remember that there are also height restrictions for RFing.  Their head has to be so many inches below the top of the seat.

The car seat manufacters websites are usually pretty good for comparision on the restrictions. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With Sophia we turned her around at a year. With the new guidelines we are planning on keeping Isabelle rear facing until she is two....which boggles my mind because Sophia is so leggy I am not sure how that would have worked.

Either way, take it a step at a time. Isabelle is currently rear facing in a convertible car seat and has been for sometime now. She outgrew her infant carrier pretty quickly but then the infant carrier was older (from when Sophia was an infant) and smaller than the ones manufacuterered over the last few years. She is going to stay rear facing in her Evenflo Titan until she is old enough for us to turn it around. That carseat lasted with Sophia until just a few months ago when we gave it to Izzy and put Sophia in a convertible carseat that will eventually convert into a booster. I have been a big fan of the Evenflo carseats both because of their ratings, reviews, and ease of putting in and out.

You are right, tho, I imagine these new recomendations already have carseat manufacturers scrambling to create even better carseats.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • we switched sarah before the new AAP rec came out, but we're not switching her back.  Flame me if you have to, but ours fits both girls perfectly FF but with one RF, There's not room for either myself or DH in the car. 
  • imagebritishbride05:
    we switched sarah before the new AAP rec came out, but we're not switching her back.  Flame me if you have to, but ours fits both girls perfectly FF but with one RF, There's not room for either myself or DH in the car. 

Do you have a Camry? LOL. The rear facing infant carrier made the passenger seat in our Camry sooo uncomfortable. We had been avoiding getting a minivan until that point.

Anyway, its a rec, not a rule and if my kid had already been switched and used to being forward facing I would not switch her back either.

• Thx for the input!  I have to get 3 seats! That's why I need to make sure that the model we choose will last a long time for her.  I did see the Britax @ BRU that you can keep RFing for up to 45 lbs, but the price is a little steep x3.  

Mel, I'm going to look into the Evenflo seats.  I think Justine mentioned she got an Evenflo for J.

Jenny, don't worry.  I was going to wait until she was 1 to get a new seat and just put her FFing.  But, now with the new guideline, I'm thinking I might as weel get the convertible now and then keep it RFing as long as possible.

• imageMellyMelB:

imagebritishbride05:
    we switched sarah before the new AAP rec came out, but we're not switching her back.  Flame me if you have to, but ours fits both girls perfectly FF but with one RF, There's not room for either myself or DH in the car. 

Do you have a Camry? LOL. The rear facing infant carrier made the passenger seat in our Camry sooo uncomfortable. We had been avoiding getting a minivan until that point.

Anyway, its a rec, not a rule and if my kid had already been switched and used to being forward facing I would not switch her back either.

I WISH!! I have a corolla and a yaris... both smaller than the camry!  lol 

• A friend of mine has a civic and 3 boys - 8 yo and 2 under 2!  She had to put the youngest  FFing at 6 months b/c he outgrew his infant carrier (he's a BIG boy) and it was the only way she and her hubby would fit with all three boys.  
  • imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

Thx for the input!  I have to get 3 seats! That's why I need to make sure that the model we choose will last a long time for her.  I did see the Britax @ BRU that you can keep RFing for up to 45 lbs, but the price is a little steep x3.

Mel, I'm going to look into the Evenflo seats.  I think Justine mentioned she got an Evenflo for J.

Jenny, don't worry.  I was going to wait until she was 1 to get a new seat and just put her FFing.  But, now with the new guideline, I'm thinking I might as weel get the convertible now and then keep it RFing as long as possible.

Yup! I got the Evenflo Triumph Advanced 65 in the Oh! pattern from BRU :) J loves it! I believe it's on sale for $119 now.

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"