Pennsylvania Babies

School districts in Carlisle area?

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms (based on opinions in post below!)... but not being from the immediate area (I grew up State College) I know nothing about the school situation.

So, let's keep it civil... but what are the generally regarded best school districts, etc.? We could potentially be moving for a long period.

Interested not only for home resale value, but DS and future #2 as well.

TIA.

In my bag: Canon 60D, 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430exii Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: School districts in Carlisle area?

• Public school wise you have three districts in the immediate Carlisle are, Carlisle SD, Cumberland Valley SD and South Middleton SD.  Cumberland Valley is the best of the three, followed by South Middleton then Carlisle.  CV is one of the top 50 schools in the state.  In all honesty while Carlisle and West Shore are the bottom around here, all the schools in the area are excellent and better than most.  Pennsylvania schools are known for their stringent standards.  My top choices in the area would be Camp Hill, Cumberland Valley, South Middleton, West Shore, Mechanicsburg, Carlisle, East Pennsboro.  This is based on not just test rankings but also class size and extra curricular offerings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • EMTXEMTX member
    Thank you!

In my bag: Canon 60D, 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430exii Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagerider5344:
    Public school wise you have three districts in the immediate Carlisle are, Carlisle SD, Cumberland Valley SD and South Middleton SD.  Cumberland Valley is the best of the three, followed by South Middleton then Carlisle.  CV is one of the top 50 schools in the state.  In all honesty while Carlisle and West Shore are the bottom around here, all the schools in the area are excellent and better than most.  Pennsylvania schools are known for their stringent standards.  My top choices in the area would be Camp Hill, Cumberland Valley, South Middleton, West Shore, Mechanicsburg, Carlisle, East Pennsboro.  This is based on not just test rankings but also class size and extra curricular offerings.

This.  Makes total sense.  I'm not TOTALLY biased.   

BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • EMTXEMTX member
    Thanks, guys. So we looked today. There is a home in Carlisle (I don't want to post where, as I don't want anyone else to swoop in and "steal" it - LOL - it's in the nicer "quadrant" near campus) that we liked and is our #1 choice so far, and a major fixer upper in Boiling Springs that my DH and realtor thought had some nice potential. To be honest I didn't fall in love with Boiling Springs, but everyone raves about it. Maybe it was just this particular street. It was RIGHT by the schools. I think we'll be going back next weekend, too. Really appreciate all of your help and input!

• imageEMTX:
    Thanks, guys. So we looked today. There is a home in Carlisle (I don't want to post where, as I don't want anyone else to swoop in and "steal" it - LOL - it's in the nicer "quadrant" near campus) that we liked and is our #1 choice so far, and a major fixer upper in Boiling Springs that my DH and realtor thought had some nice potential. To be honest I didn't fall in love with Boiling Springs, but everyone raves about it. Maybe it was just this particular street. It was RIGHT by the schools. I think we'll be going back next weekend, too. Really appreciate all of your help and input!

I think a lot of the 'nicer' homes in boiling springs are more toward the outskirts rather than right in near the schools.  Congrats on finding some potentials how exciting!  

BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Several of my coworkers live in the Carlisle area and they've all chosen South Middleton SD. From what I've heard Carlisle is also fine but the smaller class size of SM is a draw to some. I think any of the nearby school districts are above average. It really depends what you're looking for in school size. I'd personally probably choose CV if you want to stay close to Carlisle but the HUGE size of that school doesn't bother me at all where others are totally turned off by that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • EMTXEMTX member

imagekross605:
    Several of my coworkers live in the Carlisle area and they've all chosen South Middleton SD. From what I've heard Carlisle is also fine but the smaller class size of SM is a draw to some. I think any of the nearby school districts are above average. It really depends what you're looking for in school size. I'd personally probably choose CV if you want to stay close to Carlisle but the HUGE size of that school doesn't bother me at all where others are totally turned off by that.

Thank you! I am also not turned off at all from large districts. I went to State College which has excellent schools and is very big. I think there are lots of benefits to having more activities, sports, music groups, and other opportunities.

• My little (taller than me now :() brother attends Carlisle SD.  He love it there!  He seems to like the teachers and has growing up throughout school.  They have pretty "normal" standards just like most schools around this area.

Cumberland Valley seems to have larger class sizes.  I for one am not a fan of the CV district, but everyone has their own opinions Big Smile  

I am a little partial to West Shore though.  They have great teachers Cool

Check out each districts website.  Most contain a lot of useful info on curriculum, mission statement, etc.  Good Luck!!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • CV... aka Cumberland Valley
    BFP #1= DD, We've been TTC DC #2 since 8/11. BFP #2 on 4/18/12, BO confirmed on 5/21/12, natural mc 0n 6/1/12. BFP #3 on 10/11/12.... Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"