Preemies
Options

Delays

My lo was a 26 weeker and has been doing awesome.  He just turned 1 on the 15th of April.  We went in today for his Baileys test.  He did very well in everything but fine and gross motor skills.  He was at the 12mo level for the other categories but at his adjusted age level for fine and a little behind for gross.  At 12 mo. he is just starting to scoot forward, for awhile he went only backward and stands holding furniture but doesn't cruise.  I realize some babies are doing far beyond this but I really didn't think he was that behind for his regular age and definitely not that behind for his adjusted, apparently I was wrong! They are recommending physical therapy.  Any thoughts? How concerned should I be?  Thanks for any input.

Re: Delays

• Options

Andrew was a 26 weeker. At his 1 year adjusted appointment he was considered on track for his adjusted age after having OT/PT for the previous year.  He armed crawled at 9 months adjusted (12 actual) and gradually 4-point crawled after that until he was doing it all of the time. At 13 months actual, 10 months adjusted he could pull to a stand but only very briefly.

We quit OT/PT at that time (he was doing so well) and then he walked very late (18 months adjusted).  Since he hasn't not progressed much. He is almost 28 months old.  We are now finding out it's due to some muscle tone issues, causing him to walk with pronation.  This is impinging on his development. This has also carried over into his fine motor and speech is slow as well - all probably partly neurological as the root cause (he had a level 2 and 4 bleed at birth). Nobody seemed concerned that he walked late (you hear that some kids just do) but I wish we had had an eval sooner or kept him in PT to recognize some of these issues.

At 12 months adjusted, I think I would definitely expect a baby to be 4 point crawling - - and would have my child in PT if not.  I wouldn't necessary but super worried, but PT doesn't hurt!

Because the EI process is slow, and because therapy itself is also slow, I would schedule an eval now. You are not committed if you change your mind.  But if progress continues to be slow, then you'll have the process in route.  It will take at least a month, at least in Indiana, to get a PT in your home.

• Options

I don't think it hurts to have an eval done, and get some tips as to how to help him progress. Would I panic, no. Evan didn't crawl until 16months actual 12 adjusted, and he didn't walk till 20months actual 16 adjusted, he's considered "low muscle tone" by some, and gross motor has always been his weakest skill. However, he is now considered average for his actual age, and no longer qualifies for services. I do believe a fair amount of his delays were caused by NO floor time because he couldn't tolerate it without vomiting.

When it comes to "delays" it always helped me to think of it in terms of what's next on the list for him to do, and what can I do to help him do that, and try not to focus on the fact that a delay exists or compare to other kiddo's. Easier said than done I know.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the input.  Here is the thing I didn't crawl or move really at all until I was 15 mo and my husband never crawled.  I am all for physical therapy and am going to go asap but I just think they were a little harsh.  He is "army crawling" a little and they said he doesn't show weak muscle tone.  He is also excelling in the other areas.  I am totally being a protective mom here who thinks her child is perfect but when I read my baby books they say they should be crawling by 12 mo.  He really is only 8mo. 20 days adjusted and he is almost walking and can can stand by himself for a few seconds!  Were they harsh or am I just not wanting to believe he is falling a bit behind?
  • Options
    If he's just going to be 9months adjusted, he honestly sounds like he's doing fantastic to me. Absolutely fantastic.
  • Options

imagewitt0198:
    If he's just going to be 9months adjusted, he honestly sounds like he's doing fantastic to me. Absolutely fantastic.

I am an idiot and I read it as 12 months adjusted.  SORRY! 

Agreed if he is 9 months adj I would not worry.

• Options
    Thanks so much.  I have to admit you guys had me a little nervous.  So you think I should go ahead with PT but not freak out?  He is definitely army crawling around and walking very well when he hold his hands.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"