January 2011 Moms

Letting people hold LO

Anyone else still having a hard time letting people hold their LO. Easter is next weekend and I am nervous about DH's family wantin to hold him. There is probably going to be 10 people that want to come and take him out of my arms and hold him/meet him. I am so nervous. I dont know if i am going to let them or not.

Re: Letting people hold LO

• Nah, I have no problems letting him go. As long as it's family or close friend. I do miss him at the end of the day after other people holding him, even though it's nice to get a break! What I have trouble with is him crying and people still wanting to hold him. It drives me nuts and I try to politely take him back...but that feels awkward to do.
  • lol, I practically shove her toward people.  Her chubby ass is HEAVY, dude.

I think if you do a little soul searching and ask yourself exactly *why* you're nervous, you'll feel a lot better about it.  Any showering of sickie spittle can be done just as comfortably when they rub his little nose, grab all over his little fingers, blow raspberries at him, etc.  They aren't going to drop him, run away with him or lick him.  What exactly is there to be nervous about?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe him getting sick. Possibly people putting their fingers in his mouth. Or people who have some sort of food juice on their finger putting it on his lips to taste. Silly thing, I know that he will be fine but i'm having some anxiety over it.

• imagejcole32444:

Maybe him getting sick. Possibly people putting their fingers in his mouth. Or people who have some sort of food juice on their finger putting it on his lips to taste. Silly thing, I know that he will be fine but i'm having some anxiety over it.

Have you had similar thoughts of anxiety like this over other things? If so, maybe it's something to mention to your OB.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you really don't want others holding him, consider wearing him in a wrap.  It should help deter people from asking.  I don't think there's much you can do about people wanting to touch him, and at a certain point it's actually detrimental to shield him from all germs as long as people aren't infected with pertussis or RSV or something.  You can absolutely ask them to wash their hands before touching if you want.

I personally would put my foot down firmly about people trying to give my DS tastes of food, but there's a family history of infant food allergies on my side so I have pretty good reason to do so.  We won't be introducing foods other than BM until six months, and we're backed by our pedi in this.  You can always blame things on your pedi ("Pedi says since it's still cold and flu season everyone must wash their hands!"), just don't overuse it or they'll stop listening.  Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself - you're the parent, so if it's a health/safety issue in particular, your rules go.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKC_13:
    imagejcole32444:

Maybe him getting sick. Possibly people putting their fingers in his mouth. Or people who have some sort of food juice on their finger putting it on his lips to taste. Silly thing, I know that he will be fine but i'm having some anxiety over it.

Have you had similar thoughts of anxiety like this over other things? If so, maybe it's something to mention to your OB.

Only with handing LO off to a bunch of people.

• I'm okay with handing him to certsain people... if I don't give you my child, you will not hold him. Friends and family can have him all they want; it's anyone else I growl at. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With MH's family yes. I am not comfortable with them holding him at all, mostly b/c I don't like them but also b/c since he was born they have only come to see him twice and they live 45 minutes away. :/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Nope. Doesn't bother me at all.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I havent been until recently b/c she is always sucking on her hands, and when people touch them it makes me a little worried with the germs etc on their hands.  It's perfectly normal to worry about your LO, if you're not comfortable with the pass the baby game, wear the baby.  These are your feelings you shouldn't feel like they're wrong. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"