Health & Exercise

Zumba?

Is it safe for me to be doing Zumba fitness during my pregnancy? I am 18 weeks and 5 days. I know exercise is good but Im not sure if Zumba is too much because of all the jumps and turns and fast pace dancing? Thanks!

Re: Zumba?

• I am a Zumba instructor, and I would check with your Doctor. Were you doing it regularly before you got pregnant? If so you should be able to keep your regular routine. You can always still do it and modify with lower impact moves.
                     7/08, 1/12, 2/14, Due with baby #4  2/12/16 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You can if you had already been doing it.  Just switch to low intensity.
  • Loading the player...
  • I took Zumba up until the day I delivered.  I actually participated in a Zumbathon (3 hours) at 38 weeks.  As I got bigger, I naturally slowed down.  I still did some high impact moves up till the morning before I went into labor.  My pregnancy was not a high risk pregnancy, and I was very active prior to getting pregnant. 

• Man, I appreciate the OP for asking this question. I'm going for my Zumba certification May 7th and I was wondering how active I could be in it once I got pregnant. It's good to know I don't have to give it up completely.
    Anniversary Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Definitely check with your doctor. I am a Zumba Instructor and have been doing it for 2 years now and am 19 weeks pregnant.

My doctor said if I was doing it before, I can do it now. The only difference now is I monitor my heart rate throughout the class. My students know if my rate goes up too high, I slow down and they can keep going at the intensity they feel is appropriate for them. Pregnant or not, I have always told my students to modify the workout to themselves and to "listen to their bodies".I even got one of my additional certifications for Zumba during my first trimester and although I was exhausted, it was ok.

I watch some of the Zumba videos on dvd or even at the Zumba Convention last year and I have seen many pregnant women who are far along and are dancing up a storm! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"