March 2011 Moms

Poop ? or lack there of

So LO did not poop yesterday, she usually poops 2-3 times a day. She is 6 wks and EBF. I'm going to call the Dr's office today but I just want to see if you ladies have had this happen. I'm sure some of you have but I want to hear it just so I feel better.
BFP 7/17/12 DD#1 3/10/10 BFP 3/26/12 Natural MC 4/11/12 #2 Due 3/30/12

Re: Poop ? or lack there of

• when we had this happen the doctor said to dab some vasoline on a rectal thermometer and insert about 1/2 inch to stimulate LOs bowels in case she is a little backed up.

He also said to give her a little syringe of water mixed with Karo Syrup.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJJSunshine817:

when we had this happen the doctor said to dab some vasoline on a rectal thermometer and insert about 1/2 inch to stimulate LOs bowels in case she is a little backed up.

He also said to give her a little syringe of water mixed with Karo Syrup.

I've had to do both of these.  On the Karo Syrup - she said I could put 1 teaspoon in his bottle 3 times a day.  Make sure it's the DARK Karo Syrup, not the white stuff.  Both methods worked.  But when the thermometer doesn't work, then I had to move on to the syrup.

• Loading the player...
  • One day of not pooping is not cause for karo syrup and anal probing. Babies systems change around that age and may start pooping less frequently. Going 5 days between BMs is worrisome, going 7 days is the definition of constipation. She only missed one day- give it time. This may be your baby's new poop schedule.

• At 6 weeks old and being EBF, it's perfectly normal for the number of dirty diapers to slow down. Their digestive system is starting to become more efficient so they process almost all of the breast milk, leaving very little waste. Between 5-6 weeks LO went from 2-3 dirty diapers a day to 1-2 every other day and he is completely content. All the other suggestions such as Karo syrup, rectal thermometer, prune juice, etc should only be used for constipation. This is when the poop is hard little nuggets and LO strains and grunts when going. Constipation is not just pooping less frequently. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD went from going at least once a day to not going for 3 days this week. She would grunt and fart a lot, but nothing would come out with it and she'd get really fussy. After trying to just rub her belly and push her legs up , we tried the rectal thermometer which did the job. I'm not a fan of giving karo syrup, so I was definitely avoiding that.
  • At this age going 7 times a day is normal or going every 7 days is normal...especially when EBF. EBF they get so much out of what they're eating that sometimes there isn't a lot of waste.

If baby isn't looking like they are in pain, straining, or have a hard tummy I wouldn't worry until you get past the week mark.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • imagemelissar617:
    DD went from going at least once a day to not going for 3 days this week. She would grunt and fart a lot, but nothing would come out with it and she'd get really fussy. After trying to just rub her belly and push her legs up , we tried the rectal thermometer which did the job. I'm not a fan of giving karo syrup, so I was definitely avoiding that.

Thanks ladies! She has be farting A LOT but nothing is coming out but she is content. I called the Dr's office and nurse said I could use a thermometer tomorrow if she hasn't pooped but I'm in no rush to do that. It makes me feel better to hear from other mom's.

BFP 7/17/12 DD#1 3/10/10 BFP 3/26/12 Natural MC 4/11/12 #2 Due 3/30/12
  • Im having a similar issue. My LO was constipated yesterday for some unknown reason. So I ended up heading to Walgreens and buying some Little Tummy's Laxative. I use to give it to my 2yr old too when she was an infant. Then sure enough 4am we had poop, as well as a few more times after. Seemed to help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker m/c#1: 12-22-09 m/c#2: 5-22-11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"