Maine Babies
Options

Introduction

Hi Everyone,

I am 30 weeks pregnant today with my first child and at my 19 week ultrasound, my husband and I found out that our baby has a condition called gastroschisis - this is where there is a hole in the baby's abdomen and the baby's intestines are outside of his body.

He is going to have to be born early and as soon as he's born, he's going to be rushed straight to the OR. The surgeons are going to try to place all of his intestines back into his belly. He's going to be in the NICU for at least a month after he is born because he won't be able to eat anything until his intestines start working (usually takes about 3-4 weeks after the surgery before they start to heal). Until then, he will be hooked up to an IV that will give him fluids.

As difficult as this is, I am so greatful we were able to find out about the baby's condition before he's born, that way everyone who needs to be at the birth will be ready for him. There will be the OBGYN team, the NICU team, and the pediatric surgeon team present when I deliver. I don't know how early the baby will have to come. I am going to weekly ultrasounds to check on him and make sure he's doing ok. The closer I get to the due date, the worse the baby will be doing.

There's still so much that we don't know and so much we won't be able to know until he's born. It's difficult knowing that I won't be able to hold him or feed him or comfort him when he's born.

Our website for keeping everyone up to date on the baby's condition is:

Any other high-risk pregnancies in the area?
Gastroschisis Mommy and Angel Mommy 1st child; diagnosed with Gastroschisis at 18w5d, born at 35 weeks 5/1/11 2nd child; miscarried 11/17/11 Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Introduction

• Options

Hi! 

I'm from aroostook county, and I have a friend who's son I believe, was born with the same condition, if it's okay with you I'm going to send the link to your caring bridge, and the link to this post to her she might have some insight?  Her son is 9months now I think, maybe not quite that old... he was in the hospital for the first few months of his life, I'm sure she can tell you more info than I can

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My son also had gastroschisis.  We also found out at about 19 weeks. I had frequent ultrasounds and it was decided at 34 weeks that it was time for the C-section.  My son had bowels that were dilated and since they continued to grow larger over a period of time, the Dr decided that it was time for the baby to be born.  Long story short-Porter spent the first 4 months of his life in the NICU.  His condition was much more complex than your standard gastroschisis. It really was a rollercoaster ride.  I had a carepage during those months and I will attatch the link here.  Good luck with everything and feel free to contact me more if you would like to.

https://www.carepages.com/carepages/PorterRayBell

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"