North Carolina Babies

when is it normal to start losing mucus plug? (TMI)

So, since I've never been this pregnant before (yay!) I'm not sure if this is normal or not.  I just took our dogs for a 10 min walk and when I came back **TMI warning** I had a lot of brownish discharge.  I had to keep wiping and wiping (sorry for all the gory details).  I'm 36 weeks.  I'm thinking it's not that big of a deal as long as I'm not having contractions, etc.  DH wants me to call the OB since it's Friday and a holiday weekend just to be safe and I probably will.  But I was just curious if this is the normal time for this to start or if it's a little early.  I know it doesn't mean labor is imminent but still wondering about the timing.

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: when is it normal to start losing mucus plug? (TMI)

• I would err on the side of caution and call.  I started having some bloody discharge (TMI, sorry) at the same time contractions started and Nic was born 2 days later. 
  • Mine started coming out around week 35-36 and I'm still pregnant (and now past date)...so it may not be a sign at all that labor is coming on anytime soon. My doctors don't want me to call unless I'm in real labor or my water broke. They said mucous plug isn't necessary to call your doctor alone. I'd just start paying close attention to see if anything else comes out or happens.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • With #1 I lost it around 36 weeks, and it wasn't brown (that sounds like old blood) it just looked like (TMI) a glob of green snot. I went into labor at 38w 5d. You can lose bits of it for quite a while, it doesn't mean labor is coming!
  • I lost mine at 37 weeks, and as you know, Liam stayed in until 41 weeks.  GL!  Hope those contractions hold off a few more weeks for you!
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies.  Yep, I know it doesn't mean labor is coming anytime soon necessarily.  I was more just wondering if this was around the time it was normal to lose it.  

I did call since my OB said to call with ANY change given my preterm labor history (and to calm DH down!) and she said essentially not to worry but also to be less active.  Since it's usually an indication of the cervix beginning to prepare for labor (which yes, could still be weeks away), she'd like for me to take it easy until at least 37 weeks to try and keep him cookin' as long as possible.  I would LOVE to be able to take this baby home with me when I leave the hospital this time!  :)

Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ditto pp... may or may not be a sign of upcoming  labor... plus it can grow back... LOL. 

i hope for your sake though that baby keeps cookin!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"