Health & Exercise
Options

Yoga/Prenatal yoga

What exactly is the difference between good old yoga and prenatal yoga?  I have been taking yoga classes for a while now and we are about to TTC LO#2.  My gym does not offer prenatal yoga classes, but, if I revert back to beginner poses, is that the same as prenatal?  Are there forms I should not do?  I know I could ask the instructor if/when I get a BFP, but I thought I would check here.

Re: Yoga/Prenatal yoga

• Options

I just kept going to my all-levels vinyasa class. I modified as I needed to.

1st tri: gave up wheel pose, stuck to bridge

2nd tri: started scaling back my twists, stayed off my belly once I had one (around 20 weeks) - so no cobra, etc.

3rd tri: backed off further on twists, took more care with balance poses, minimized time on my back (but still did a bit, if it didn't bug me).

If you do more advanced poses, like headstands or shoulder stands, you'll probably cut those out early.  I just went with a "do what feels good" approach. I also did some prenatal stuff on my own from podcasts and videos, so I knew if it was in those, it was fine to continue with.

• Options

That's a great question. I've taken good ol' yoga and just started prenatal. I got a DVD at Walmart and I love it. There are three ladies (1 in her first Tri, another in her 2nd, and the last in her 3rd), so it's something that can be used during the entire pregnancy. What I noticed that was different was they explained how this is good for the baby and were always mindful of the moves. Yoga, in general, is good for pregnancy but there was something soothing about knowing how it was safe for the baby.

Hope this helps!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby 2! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The main difference is that the poses are adjusted to decrease the pressure on your spine. Prenatal yoga should not included any movements that require you to lay on your back as well. 
    Nugget Ticker image
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

I just kept going to my all-levels vinyasa class. I modified as I needed to.

1st tri: gave up wheel pose, stuck to bridge

2nd tri: started scaling back my twists, stayed off my belly once I had one (around 20 weeks) - so no cobra, etc.

3rd tri: backed off further on twists, took more care with balance poses, minimized time on my back (but still did a bit, if it didn't bug me).

If you do more advanced poses, like headstands or shoulder stands, you'll probably cut those out early.  I just went with a "do what feels good" approach. I also did some prenatal stuff on my own from podcasts and videos, so I knew if it was in those, it was fine to continue with.

She is right on.  Most importantly if you have done a version of yoga like corepower in the past which incorporate an ab work out like crunches ditch those immediately and exchange for some good ol' cat/cows.  I completely agree with the do what feels good approach but I think its important to have a teacher that has been educated - even if by experience- in pre-natal yoga, they can offer you some great alternatives and provide a safe environment.

• Options
    s00zs00z member
    imageClareML10:

She is right on.  Most importantly if you have done a version of yoga like corepower in the past which incorporate an ab work out like crunches ditch those immediately and exchange for some good ol' cat/cows.  I completely agree with the do what feels good approach but I think its important to have a teacher that has been educated - even if by experience- in pre-natal yoga, they can offer you some great alternatives and provide a safe environment.

This. I switched to prenatal yoga around 20 weeks. The prenatal class I take focuses on back-stretching/strengthening poses (like cat and cow) and hip openers (like pigeon), while keeping me in what I feel is a safe environment for both me and the baby. If you are used to a vigorous yoga workout, then this will be a change. But, it will also allow you to slow down and really pay attention to what your body and baby are telling you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"