Trouble TTC

Stupid paranoia? What if they IUI the wrong sperm?

Big Smile

Okay, so paranoid, I know.  But I can't help thinking about it. I hope they double and triple check that jizz to make sure it is my husband's and not some random guy. lol.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Philo

Baby N conceived after 1 miscarriage and more than 2 years of TTC. Diagnosis was low sperm count. We found success after 3 months of anastrozole to increase DH's testosterone and one IUI.
Some charts AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. - Happy Gilmore

Re: Stupid paranoia? What if they IUI the wrong sperm?

• I think that probably crosses everyone's mind! I know I would think the same thing. Double and triple check birthdates, names, labels to ease your mind :-)
    Off BCP 1/09 ~ TTC actively since 4/09 ~ Metformin 4/09 ~ BFP Father's Day 09 ~ Loss 6/09 ~ RE testing, HSG, and more: 10/09 ~ 2010: testing year while still TTC. SA for hubby good ~ 2011: Labs show no insulin issues once again, but started 4/11 Glucophage XR 750 mg for other PCOS symptoms. Took a break in second half of 2011 with meds due to career change, hoping for BFP naturally. ~ Began Met again 1/12, then ended due to nausea ~ 06/12: Lost weight, working out, on Femara. BFP on 6/28/12!
    Beta #1 6/29: 56 Beta #2 7/9: 6,346
    imageDiagnosed 2009, but kinda knew all along
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Haha I never thought of that.  But at our clinic, we go to the lab (one floor above where the IUI is) where he drops off his sample and we pick up his sample and at each step they verify his name and DOB and I literally bring the vial down to my IUI. So if there is one tech doing the washing and one person he's handing it to, I think the chances are pretty slim :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsVoMrsVo member

***sneeking in 'cause your siggy says SAIFW***

I was terrified of this as well but our RE had me check the sample tube 3 times, sign a form, and then they checked it against my wrist band 3 more times.  Made me feel much better!

Diagnosed PCOS 2/07, TTC #1 since 8/09
    11/10 - Clomid Round 1 = BFN
    12/10 - Clomid Round 2 = BFN
    1/11 - Voluntary Break = BFN (duh)
    2/11 - Clomid Round 3 = BFN
    3/11 - Femara + IUI = BFP * Beta#1=56 * Beta#2=266
    *Cautiously expecting baby girls on November 28, 2011*
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If we get to that stage, I would be the same way.  ::thinks DH should accompany sample for the journey::Hmm

"When the world says, 'Give up,' Hope whispers, 'Try one more time.'" -Anonymous

• My office has me check every container/test tube/cathader that the sperm was in and confirm that it has our name on it - including the one we brought the sample in - then sign off on it.   I'm sure they need to do this to protect themselves and us, just in case.    My first IUI was on their last appt. on a Saturday morning - and we were the only people there - so I felt really sure there was no mix-up.  :) 

But the chances of that happening are very very slim - but I understand it is hard to not think about. 

TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• The nurse always has me double check the vial to make sure it is the right person right before they do the procedure.  I think there are enough checks in place so there should be no worries.
  • ~I'm a lurker, but I had to drop in because this made me laugh!~

I am always terrified of that, too!  I've done it 6 times and I'm still worried every time.  I guess we just have to trust that they are VERY organized and don't have a habit of multi-tasking!  Good Luck to you!

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• haha.  Thanks everyone.

I just imagine the nurse gets distracted talking to someone and grabs the wrong vial and voila, I have a different man's baby. haha.

Baby N conceived after 1 miscarriage and more than 2 years of TTC. Diagnosis was low sperm count. We found success after 3 months of anastrozole to increase DH's testosterone and one IUI.

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive. - Happy Gilmore
  • I think it's normal to be concerned.  My RE office handles it the same as several others with the double checking, verifying and signing off on a form. 

My RE office even has DH show his ID when he has to give a specimen for the IUI.

<3 Tons of love and hugs to Ricola & Baby Alex <3 <br> MySweetBaboo, IRL friend, always rooting for Baboo #2, love ya girl!<3 <br> 7.7.11 BFP | 3.19.12 EDD | 3.14.12 Baby Girl's BDay
    | Purse Blog |
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I totally hear you. My office also has me check the vial and sign off on it. They also color code each patient. So, DH's sample is blue, my sheet is blue and his sheet is blue, etc.

Confession: I've also had the thought "well if they mix up the sample, at least there might be enough sperm to get me pregnant...."Embarrassed

(And yes, I give myself the side-eye for thinking that, but DH has even joked about it, so it's all good!)

Edit: Terrible spelling!

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • DH and I definitely thought about that too. our office checked it every step along the way though, so I felt pretty confident. DH said they asked him to check 5 different stickers as they put it on the vial, the cup, everything in sight. Then they asked me to check the vial before they put it in AND after. Big Smile seemed like overkill but it did make me feel pretty secure....

• i think all of these things too everytime. I also think what if there's a crazy sperm washer who uses his sperm instead on everyone. i know i watch too much law and order, lol.
  • imageSunnyface5:
    i think all of these things too everytime. I also think what if there's a crazy sperm washer who uses his sperm instead on everyone. i know i watch too much law and order, lol.

OMG! Ahh!  I never thought of that one.  Now that's creepy.

• imageSunnyface5:
    i think all of these things too everytime. I also think what if there's a crazy sperm washer who uses his sperm instead on everyone. i know i watch too much law and order, lol.

Me too Sunny!

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • DH joked about it at either the first or second IUI.  I told him that if I birthed a black baby then we would know that something got screwed up somewhere.  The RE laughed so hard at that.  I even brought up that story about the mix up with the couple who had another couple's embryos transferred and he said that there is no excuse for that kind of thing to happen.  That made me feel better that they are very thorough.  I also don't think they do that many IUIs on any given day at my office, so my chances of a mix up would be slim.
    Mrs. Little Drew 10/25/08
    Blog
    TTC since 1/2010 - Dx with Stage IV Endo
    11/10 - 100mg Clomid + trigger + IUI + Estradiol + Progesterone = BFN
    12/10 - Unmedicated cycle due to RE not doing treatments in December = BFN
    1/11 - 100mg Clomid + trigger + IUI + Estradiol + Progesterone = BFN
    2/11 - Same sh!t, different month = IUI cancelled due to no response = BFN
    IVF #1 - Start stims (Follistim) 5/10, add in Ganirelix 5/14
    ER 5/21 - 13 retrieved, 7 mature, 5 fertilized; ET 5/26 - transferred one perfect 1AA blast. 3 snowbabies.
    Beta 6/3 - 15.8; Beta 6/7 - 21.8; Beta 6/10 - 7 :(
    FET - Transferred 1 AA blast 7/11. Beta 7/20 - 311! Beta 7/22 - 784!! First u/s 8/10
    *~PAIFW/SAIFW~*
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"