VBAC
Options

Getting Medical Records UPDATE

I posted here a while ago about being nervous to request medical records (thanks for the responses by the way) and I did go ahead and request what I wanted to see. they sent me a bill for $180 !!!!!!!!!!! For copies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew there would be a charge, but seriously?

Anyway, I spoke to someone in medical records at the hospital where R was born and they said that I can make an appointment to come in and read the records and make a list of what I need copies of. It will be inconvenient and time consuming, but it won't cost me $180! Jeez!

Re: Getting Medical Records UPDATE

• Options

I went through this when I wanted DS's records.

My experience was that if a Dr/OB requests them, you don't get charged. I just met with a few OBs that I liked & made my choice, then I requested my records, and I scheduled a time to review my old records with the new OB. We discussed pros/cons of my delivery together, and she was able to refer to it & answer my questions.

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I realize it takes them some time to make copies (which represents a cost) but $180 does seem pretty outrageous.  I was able to get a copy of my surgical report myself for free.  Just went in and picked it up.  For the other records from my previous pregnancy, they just faxed the midwife and didn't charge me anything.

I know that ultimately you'll be glad you got them (one way or another) but sorry you're having to go through the hassle!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine would be sent to my new provider for free, so I had them send it to my midwife.  Had I requested personally, I would have been charged.  My midwife gave them to me when she was done with them so I could have them.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

That's outrageous.  I think they are required by law to provide records at a "reasonable" price, for whatever that's worth.  It seems like they are trying to deter people fro requesting their records on their own.

You might want to have the records sent to another doctor's office so that it won't cost you anything.  Then talk to that office about looking at the records or making copies. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

They are "technically" a reasonable price. They cost about as much as making copies at a store...usually $0.10-0.12/page. After xx number of pages, then price decreases.

Most people don't ask for the "proper" things out of the record, so they are charging for the cost of copying the whole record. The new OB will only need a couple of things from the record, but if you really want a copy for yourself, you can request for the operative records & the physicians notes. This is what your new OB will need to review for a VBAC.

Oh, and FYI, if your last OB sent copies of your prenatal record to the hospital for the record (most do, to have on your chart during your stay), you'll need to request from your old OB, since the hospital can't technically release those records to you. I found this out the hard way.

I'm sure this might vary per state, but most states use the same kinds of rules. I would have the new OB request for the records, and see if you can get a copy of them after you review then w/the OB.

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"