Parenting

I'm allergic to sex...(bubs, can you help?)

Ok, so maybe that's not TOTALLY right, but it is starting to seem like when DH and I start having sex frequently I get a UTI (or at least UTI symptoms) After 3 rounds and 6 weeks of dealing with this I went to my GYN instead of my family doc. My GYN told me that some of her patients have this issue and they take a pill after having sex and it has helped a lot. Soooo... my symtoms came back and I called her about it. I picked up the script tonight and its "Nitrofur" generic for Macrobid and the directions say to take 1 daily and there's 20 pills in there. Grrr. I have to call them tomorrow and see if this is A: the right med, and B: do I take daily or only on the sex days? Macrobid is what they always give me to treat the UTI, that's why I'm confused.

So... this is a vent and also a request for advice, info... anything.

Re: I'm allergic to sex...(bubs, can you help?)

• I used to have this problem and the two things that helped a lot were peeing right after sex and taking a cranberry pill daily.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • imagejessicaclare:
    I used to have this problem and the two things that helped a lot were peeing right after sex and taking a cranberry pill daily.
    I do pee and clean up right after every time. I did ask her about the cranberry thing and she said it was a myth... but I was thinking of trying it just to see if it would help.
  • Loading the player...
  • i ahve to pee immediately after having sex. It's so romantic :) but it saves me every time!
    Christmas 2009 image
  • Question. Are you drinking alcoholic beverages on these sex nights?

I was having issues in my 20's and it ended up being whatever wine coolers I was drinking at the time.

• I don't drink very often, like really rare (maybe 1x a month if that)...
  • I had the problem years ago and it ended up being interstitial cystitis. I took a daily antibiotic and detrol LA for a year. Sadly, I think those two meds are what screwed with my stomach and gave me horrible issues for years after that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs Manners:
    I had the problem years ago and it ended up being interstitial cystitis. I took a daily antibiotic and detrol LA for a year. Sadly, I think those two meds are what screwed with my stomach and gave me horrible issues for years after that.
    So when you stopped taking the meds did the symptoms come back?
  • I'll second the cranberry pill.  Time-released vitamin C also works for me.  I went through a year or two when I was having the same problem.  A nurse at my CNM's office told me to take the time-released vitamin C twice a day every day and drink tons of water.  I never had another problem.  It may be a myth or in my head, but it worked for me.
  • imageCiarrai:
    I'll second the cranberry pill.  Time-released vitamin C also works for me.  I went through a year or two when I was having the same problem.  A nurse at my CNM's office told me to take the time-released vitamin C twice a day every day and drink tons of water.  I never had another problem.  It may be a myth or in my head, but it worked for me.
    I'm really bad about this, I don't like drinking water. Sometimes I get on a water kick and do good for a few days, then it's back to not drinking much or drinking soda/juice/tea. I don't drink much in a day mostly because I don't want water, and I know I shouldn't drink soda.
  • imageamiamish:
    imageCiarrai:
    I'll second the cranberry pill.  Time-released vitamin C also works for me.  I went through a year or two when I was having the same problem.  A nurse at my CNM's office told me to take the time-released vitamin C twice a day every day and drink tons of water.  I never had another problem.  It may be a myth or in my head, but it worked for me.
    I'm really bad about this, I don't like drinking water. Sometimes I get on a water kick and do good for a few days, then it's back to not drinking much or drinking soda/juice/tea. I don't drink much in a day mostly because I don't want water, and I know I shouldn't drink soda.

That might be part of the issue? You need to drink a lot to flush the infection out too. Can you do a mix of juice and water, or water with lemon in it? I'm not great about it either, but usually if I make sure to fill up a big bottle (I have a Camelback) in the morning, it helps. 

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Jessica, yeah... I do need to try to be better. I'll add that to my list of things to better myself. LOL I'm serious, I have a list going...just need to get motivated to switch from mom-hag to mom-fab.
  • I had the same issue a few years ago. My doctor gave me Macrobid and said to take after sex. It worked wonders.
  • imageEliseB0323:
    I had the same issue a few years ago. My doctor gave me Macrobid and said to take after sex. It worked wonders.
    really?! So Macrobid is the right med? Thanks!
  • Re: not drinking water....I was a horrible water drinker and drank a ton of diet coke. I started using that Mio water flavor and I'm obsessed! I drink all water now and don't even want pop now! I love the berry pomegranate.
  • imageamiamish:
    imageEliseB0323:
    I had the same issue a few years ago. My doctor gave me Macrobid and said to take after sex. It worked wonders.
    I think the "after sex" Macrobid was a lower dose than the UTI Macrobid, but I do not remember. But, yeah, just take it on sex days.
  • imagebellabeck:
    Re: not drinking water....I was a horrible water drinker and drank a ton of diet coke. I started using that Mio water flavor and I'm obsessed! I drink all water now and don't even want pop now! I love the berry pomegranate.
    I've seen that! where do you buy it at and how expensive is it? How much do you add to your water?
  • imageEliseB0323:
    imageamiamish:
    imageEliseB0323:
    I think the "after sex" Macrobid was a lower dose than the UTI Macrobid, but I do not remember. But, yeah, just take it on sex days.
    Ah I see
  • imageamiamish:
    imagebellabeck:
    Re: not drinking water....I was a horrible water drinker and drank a ton of diet coke. I started using that Mio water flavor and I'm obsessed! I drink all water now and don't even want pop now! I love the berry pomegranate.
    I've seen that! where do you buy it at and how expensive is it? How much do you add to your water?
    It retails for around $4 which I know seems crazy expensive but for me to drink water, it's worth it. Plus since it's newer there have been some sales on it. I've gotten it at Target and my grocery store by the drink mix. I just put a couple squirts in. It's seriously the only thing I want to drink now other than coffee!
  • imageamiamish:
    imageEliseB0323:

yup, this was the same for me.  only thing that sucked was that I couldn"t be on the pill. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You need to go see a Urologist.  If it is every time you have sex, I doubt it's an infection.  It may be Interstitial Cystitis (which is what I have)  The Macrobid is an antibiotic, if there is no infection it is useless.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"