July 2011 Moms

Cold Tummy?

Hello all, this is my first post, but I've been reading/lurking since I was about 11 weeks.  I have a question/slight worry that I haven't been able to find any information on from the internet or my doctor.  The question is, is it normal for my tummy to be colder than the rest of my body?  It has been since pretty early in the pregnancy, about 12 weeks was when i first started noticing a temperature difference.  Now that I'm (SO much) bigger, the temperature difference is definitely noticeable.  And not just to me, my SO can definitely feel it too.  It's a good 4-6 degrees colder than the rest of my body.  Anybody else notice this?  I asked my doctor at our last appointment and she said "Isn't that strange?  Hmm, I've never heard that before" and just dismissed it. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cold Tummy?

• Well, you have more fat deposits on your belly than in pre-pregnancy. Blood flow/circulation does not go to fat. So fat will usually feel colder to touch than the rest of your body (It's why my hips and butt fell cold when the rest of me is warm, lol). Weird that fat is insulation, but will be colder to touch than muscle.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's a new one on me, but I do know that in places there's there's more fat between the skin and the muscle (like the tummy, thighs, butt), those places will be colder than other parts of your body.

Ever feel your butt during winter? It's ice cold!

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Loading the player...
  • I wasn't very big before I got pregnant, so I don't think there's alot of fat "insulating" my tummy.  It's fine I guess, just a little strange, especially when I'm under the covers all nice and toasty, and my tummy is still cold to the touch.  Everyone I have asked seems to have no idea what I'm talking about.  My SO says she's a vampire ;)

And I'm sure it's so simple, but how in the world do you get all the cute little things at the bottom of your posts?  I see where you create them, but I dont see where you can post it onto all of your posts like a signature... 

• Like the PP said, fatty body parts are colder to the touch. It doesn't take much fat either- back in college on wore a size zero and still had a cold booty. 
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemiller4285:
    Well, you have more fat deposits on your belly than in pre-pregnancy. Blood flow/circulation does not go to fat. So fat will usually feel colder to touch than the rest of your body (It's why my hips and butt fell cold when the rest of me is warm, lol). Weird that fat is insulation, but will be colder to touch than muscle.

This is exactly what it is. Doesn't have to be a ton of fat either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • might sound strange but...i have the same thing, although i always have it, not just during pregnancy.  i went to a fertility acupuncturist when we were trying for this LO and he said it is a "cold uterus."  i was told not to eat anything raw (even if it was just blanched it was better than raw) or cold (lunch meat, salad, etc) and not drink cold drinks (put ice in my drinks).  i followed his "diet" and i guess it worked :)  i have relaxed about it since being pregnant, but still dont drink really cold drinks.  

soooo...long story short...it is fine and can be normal.   

• imagedamabo80:

That's a new one on me, but I do know that in places there's there's more fat between the skin and the muscle (like the tummy, thighs, butt), those places will be colder than other parts of your body.

Ever feel your butt during winter? It's ice cold!

Even if it doesn't feel like a lot of fat, there is a little layer that forms naturally (even on those skinny women with cute teeny bumps). Even if really thin, it'll insulate the heat in and still is a layer with no blood circulation in it, and feel cold to touch. My belly feels colder, too. It did after I gained weight while NOT pregnant and put on a pooch! My hips and butt are SUPER cold for this reason, lol! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for your responses!  It makes me feel better knowing she's not a little vampire in there or anything.  :)

PS- Best dessert ever:  Peanut butter chocolate ice cream with oreos and reeses shell chocolate syrup.  Just thought I'd share ;) 

• Mine is cold, too, and I didn't have a lot of fat there before.  My extremities (and my butt!!) are also cold, so it's definitely a blood flow thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"