Georgia Babies

Dentist vent/teeth PSA

Last week we had our first dentist visit and everything was awesome (no apparent cavities) until they did the xrays and found lots of cavities in the spaces between DD's teeth. 

We don't have dental insurance, and the quote for filling the cavities was THOUSANDS ofdollars (it will require anesthesia).  We rarely give DD juice (usually just at parties), she doesn't eat much candy or other crappy, gummy food, and yet we ended up with a ton of cavities because her teeth are so, so tightly spaced that they are really conducive to cavities.  Now we have to use fluoride toothpaste, floss and use a special brush--on fluoride to keep things under control. And now every morning is a huge battle to get everything done in time to get wherever we need to go. 

So, learn from my mistakes!  If you have a child with tightly spaced teeth, you may want to start flossing them ASAP.  I have been putting off flossing, using fluoridated toothpaste and the dentist visit, and am now totally kicking myself. 

Re: Dentist vent/teeth PSA

• Its likely genetic. Don't beat yourself up. Flossing might not have made all that much of a difference. Just saying.

• If I may ask....how old os your dd?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • L, Sam and I must have the same teeth. I am prone and susceptible to plaque and tartar. Girl, I floss like crazy and I still get fussed at every single dentist appointment. It's just the way my teeth are all lined up. Sorry for the unexpected expense...but the key, is being religious with flossing and dentist visits.

Also, William loves flossing...Maybe because he sees me do it. He loves those disposable kiddie floss.

• Ugh, I'm so sorry- that sucks!  I am also very prone to cavities- always have been.  Part of it is genetic (my mom and dad were the same way) but I am also terrible about flossing.  And I really have no idea how I am going to get Gavin to floss. He barely lets me brush his teeth!  I will have to find those kiddie floss things donna mentioned.  He needs to go to the dentist but I can't remember if we added him to our dental insurance this year or not.  For some reason, I thought they didn't have to go until 4 and then the dentist sent us an email to schedule his first cleaning last month so now I need to find out.  I am praying that our kids inherited their dad's teeth.  He rarely flosses and has never had a cavity.  So unfair.

• DD is 3.5, but she got her first 4 teeth at 20 weeks, so I really should have taken her to the dentist sooner.

@ slw, if you didn't add Gavin, you can get an Aetna prepaid card that will at least reduce the expense of  dental services (up to 60% in some cases).  Definitely get something before you take him if you think he is prone to cavities!  Sam actually really likes the kiddie flossers.  We got some at CVS that have fluoride in them, and she likes to collect them every day (totally gross, but at least she lets me floss).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"