Military Families

What makes a good...

...Ombudsman, in your opinion? I recently volunteered for the Ombudsman position at my husband's command and will be taking over for the previous one next Friday. I have the week long training course to attend and know that I have a lot to learn but am extremely excited! Our last Ombudsman was not very involved and almost made you feel like it was a burden to approach her with any questions or concerns. I was wondering if you ladies had any input on what you think makes a good Ombudsman and any advice for me going in with no experience? Many people say it's almost like taking on a second job, without the pay, of course and that it's often times a thankless job. Expect to get phone calls and questions morning, noon and night, etc. I am also prepared for the side-eye when they ask me how many children I have and then I tell them none...as of yet! This was advice another Ombudsman gave me a couple days ago. Thanks in advance and I appreciate the comments Big Smile
TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
8/2012 Started seeing new RE
9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???

Re: What makes a good...

• When we were Navy, I never had the need to go to our ombudsman, however I do feel our ombudsman was a good one. Our ombudsman contacted us a couple of times during deployment just to check in and to make sure we all knew we could come to her with any problems. This made me feel comfortable that should I ever need her assistance, comfort, advice, whatever that I could approach her without feeling like I was a burden.

I liked this approach better than the experience I had with the first FRG in the Army because the FRG emailed us 2 or 3 times a day and it got to be such overkill and talked about every little thing that A. I started to ignore the emails, and B. I felt like an outcast for not going on every little outing they'd set up, so I felt if I ever did approach them I'd be just "some random wife."

So, I think it's important to make sure everyone knows you are excited about this position as their new ombudsman, and that you want everyone to feel comfortable approaching you whatever the need. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • PS - I do think you'll probably get some side eye from the wives with children. But, not having one of your own yet doesn't totally "disqualify" you. I actually felt like I was less important to the FRG because I didn't have kids. I would have l liked it if at least one of the ladies in charge remembered what it was like to be a military spouse without children.

I guess, just make sure that everyone, those with children and those without, know that you are willing to do what it takes to get them the answers/information/support they need.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Respond to calls and e-mails.  I've heard complaints about that in regards to the ones for my H's ship (I think there are a total of 5).
  • What I would expect out of an Ombudsman would just be for you to be friendly and  available.  Sending out email/facebook updates about things going on in the husbands' unit is great as well.  And organizing events for the wives to attend together (even if you don't do all of the planning, finding someone who wants to organize and plan them could be good).  Good luck!

• i like the newsletters to keep us informed about stuff going on at base and other happenings. Also making sure the phone tree callers are on top of their game. last 2 deployments my phone tree caller never called me. Thankfully the ombudsman was my friend and she told me but i was hate to be the wife who never got the call. there were 4 guys at homecoming whose wives werent there because they never got called :(

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"