Military Families

Military Id...

About how long is the process?  I know every case is probably a little different.  I"m just trying to decide if I would be ok bringing my two youngest with me or if I need to try and find a sitter.  My husband made it sound like it would be a very lengthy process.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Military Id...

• first time it took me 3 hours., second time it took me 5 minutes. just depends on how many people are there.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Sorry for the naive questions - this is brand new to me...is it something where youc an schedule at appointment?

• Loading the player...
  • are you newly married? are you already in the system? What branch is he in? If he is in the navy and you are on his page 2 and it is all updated that takes away some time. you cant make an appointment (at least I have never been at a base where you could). My first time there were like 15 people waiting to get ID cards and one person working. it took a VERY long time. the second time I was the only one and it took 5 minutes. getting the id card is very quick it is just long if there are people in front of you or if your husbands records arent updated

Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• also call before hand to ask which documents they particular base requires. When i got my original card they had just made a new rule that you had to bring your social security card (not just know the number) and this girl in front of me threw a hissy fit because she had already been waiting over an hour.

image"">

• No not newly married, just new to the Army.  DH is in basic right now and I just got the packet to take in to get my id and then I think he said I need to go talk to someone about Tricare?!? 
  • Thank you I will definately call ahead!
  • you are automatically enrolled in standard but you can go switch to prime. I married my husband after 14 years in the military and I was not allowed to get an ID card or switch to prime on my own. he had to be present or I had to have a special POA for those things. I am not sure the rules for doing those things on your own when your husband is in basic though but if your husband is already in you cant do that stuff without him without a special POA. heck, yesterday I couldnt even check out a book from the library without him present because I had never done it before... silly rules

image"">

• imagemylesmomma:

Sorry for the naive questions - this is brand new to me...is it something where youc an schedule at appointment?

Think of it as going to the DMV.  At least that's what I compared it to when DH took me. You go, you sign in, and you sit for as long as it takes. 

• We have gone twice and it took less than 20 mins both times. We made an appt first.
  • If the sponsor is not present, you will need the signed DD 1172 and a special power of attorney authorizing you to obtain an ID card along with whatever other paperwork that was sent to you.

Marraige certificate, birth certificate and SS Card should cover any possible requirement. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just my two cents:  Make sure that they?ve put everything on it right like your medical status, the date of issue etc. The first time I issued my id card I had to go back three times because they just couldnt get it right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!image
  • Here you need an appointment, some bases you can just walk in. Some you can do either. And I got mine at an AF base and the wait was almost nothing, here at Ft Lewis you could wait a very long time unless you show up right when they open. But you may want to check if your base requires an appointment.
  • I made an appointment and it took 10 mins, tops.

You will need two forms of ID. H brought everything with him to basic (he was told to - marriage cert, my SS card, my birth certificate) so I had to wait until after I saw him at his BCT graduation to get my documents from him (I didn't want it going in the mail).

If he sent you something, that means you should already have your signed and notartized 1172, so you're good there.

Unless you want to enroll in Tricare Prime, you do not need to meet with the Tricare office.

• I don't remember how long it took me when I got my first one but I just got my 2nd one and it didn't take long at all.  Thankfully it wasn't busy.  My husband did have to be present as he needed to sign something and we brought our 2 sons (3yr and 18mos) with us. We just made sure we had a couple of toys, food and drink for them in case it took a long time.

ETA: I also needed 2 forms of ID.

• The process itself isn't very lengthy. When I got my first one it was actually super easy in and out (I had my husband with me, though). The most recent time I got one I made an appointment, but even with the appointment I had to wait about 20-30 minutes until I was called back. Then it was 5 minutes tops.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It took us about five minutes.  I would suppose that if there are a lot of people ahead of you then it could take longer, but no one else was there when we went.

• I am at a small Army Post and it took 10 minutes max.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • It only took me about 30 min. but that's because I was technecially already in the deers system.  I am previous Navy so they didn't have to do much except change me from AD to Dependant in the deers and make me an ID.  I'm sure it won't take that long as long as you show up to your appt. on time with all the proper paperwork.(including marriage license)

Being married to military you qualify for Tri Care(medical one) You need to make sure they put you in the deers system when you go for your ID then you need to go over to the Hospital and go to the Tri Care office to sign up and get a provider.  You have to pay for the Tri Care Dental but the tri care office will give you the paperwork for that and you can mail it in and have it come out of your husbands pay automatically.

Hope this info helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"