Philadelphia Babies
Options

School districts in Montgomery County

Hi ladies!  My DH and I are currently trying to move back down to PA to be close to family.  We are looking at Montgomery County and trying to figure out what school districts would be good to live in.  I went to school down in Upper Moreland, but I know a lot has changed since I was down there.   Any recommendations of where to go and where to stay away from??  

Any advice is much appreciated.  TIA! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: School districts in Montgomery County

• Options

www.greatschools.org is a site where you can research all of the school districts in Montgomery County. If you focus your search on just high schools, you can check out the PSAA scores which should be very helpful!

Good luck! We love it here : )

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I currently live in Jenkintown and attended Jenkintown school district. Personally, I loved it, but it is not for everyone. It is a small school district - 35 kids in my entire graduating class and yes we all graduated. No buses, the borough is a square mile, if a kid wants to participate in an activity but limited choices on friends. Great community vibe/atmosphere. My husband having grown up in the city thinks it is too small.

When it is time for school, we will be moving into Springfield Twp school district, in the Oreland area. If you go to everyhome.com you can search for houses by school district. Springfield is a little bigger than Jenkintown but not as big as Abington. I have heard good things about Lower Moreland. I would stay away from Cheltenham more bc the taxes are crazy but I had friends that went to Cheltenham Schools and loved it. I have family in the Abington school district and they all like it, personally for me it is too big.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I live in Lower Merion... schools are great here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lower Merion schools are fantastic!  A lot of the housing in that district can be pricey, but there are some affordable places.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a product of Abington and love it! Also Hatboro Horsham has a great school district. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I just bought a house (yesterday!!) in upper moreland school district and I'm so excited - I've heard fabulous things about the school district and think it will be great!!

Other great districs - upper dublin, lower moreland.

Stay away from - Cheltenham (taxes extreme, schools not great)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imageBOH1025:

I live in Lower Merion... schools are great here.

I also live in Lower Merion and agree, schools are top rated here.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    North Penn is a great SD.  GL with your search!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We recently were house hunting in Montgomery county and going through the same decisions about school districts you are.  My finding were...

1. Lower Merion and Upper Dublin SDs seem to both consisitently rank the best in statewide rankings.  Property taxes are higher in these areas but you are getting quality for your money in my opinion.

2.  Most of the other SDs mentioned in this thread also rank pretty good and not that different than one another.  So in my opinion if you have a good student they would excel there.  I think it gets a little more tricky if you have a student that needs extra help bc some districts are known to have better support staff.

The only other SD I would throw out there that wasn't mentioned that I personally liked was Wissahickon.  The property taxes were low and the quality seemed to be there.  Unfortunately we couldn't find a house we liked there so we ended up a bit more north in the Central Bucks SD.  Good luck!

• Options
    Another vote for Lower Merion, the schools are rated as some of the best in the state.
  • Options
    imagemrsh0606:
    North Penn is a great SD.  GL with your search!

this!  Went to NP my whole life and recently moved back
  • Options

I am a Central Bucks school teacher so if you go to Bucks county that is an excellent district. 

I live in Montgomery County and both Spring-Ford and Methacton are great as well.

• Options
    We're in lower merion as well...we moved here just for the schools.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"