Potty Training
Options

Mothers of Boys- potty training at 2 yrs old?

DS will be 2 in May. Monday, he turned to me and said "potty mommy?" I was shocked that he even really knew what that was... I guess maybe he sees/hears the other kids at daycare go to the potty.

So, I asked him, "Do you want to go to the potty?" He got really excited and said "YES!" and took off running to the bathroom. So, I just so happened to have a little potty that I bought him, so I brought it out and he sat on it for a couple of minutes. He didn't ever do anything.

Last night, he did the same thing. He started pointing to his diaper and said "Potty Mommy??" So, I took him to the bathroom to sit again... He never did anything but sit there.

So, I am wondering: Is this too early? Should I not press the issue and just let him sit when he wants to sit, or should I jump on this and start the training process?

Also, do you have any suggestions for books that I can read about potty training??

TIA!

Re: Mothers of Boys- potty training at 2 yrs old?

• Options

We're in the same boat and I hope you get some great responses. Andrew gets so excited to sit on the potty but he doesn't really do anything while he's there. I think he knows what he *should* do though.

I too am trying to decide if we should just plunge in or wait a little longer. I'd planned to start this summer after MDO is over. Maybe I shouldn't wait??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's a good sign that he's showing interest, but I would not take it to mean that he's ready for full-scale PTing.  Encourage his interest and try to figure out which method he's most comfortable with (sitting on small external potty, toddler seat on actual toilet, etc - DS actually stands on a stool and pees standing up) and then just see how it goes.  I would cheer him on and let him sit on the potty as much as he wants, but would wait for incentives, going potty every hour, etc until he's a bit older or shows more signs of advancement.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't think 2 is way too early at all!!  I'm in my early 30s and most of my generation and earlier were PT BY 2 years old.  In fact, 2 was considered old.  I think disposable diaper companies are the ones that convinced parents to PT late and coined the "not ready phase".  I mean in reality your never 100% ready for anything, it is the unknown, but you can always be 100% prepared.  My DS was PT at 17 months- daytime, naps and nightime- it was very easy.  At 14 months he was telling us but we put it off because I was prengant at the time.  My 1 year old DD is now coming to us whenever she poops to be changed. 

We just ditched the diapers one day and went straight to underwear.  For us pullups were pointless since we CD.  We set a timer and took him every 30 minutes.  He got an M&M when he went.  The next day we set the timer every hour and did the same thing.  Each day we added 30 more minutes.  He never wore diapers for anything- naps and nightime.  By day 5 we stopped using the timer and he was telling us.  That was over a year ago and we've had no issues.  Best of luck!

I wanted to add: your DH is a great tool for your DS- make sure he takes him with him whenever he goes.

• Options
    image*LrCg*:

I don't think 2 is way too early at all!!  I'm in my early 30s and most of my generation and earlier were PT BY 2 years old.  In fact, 2 was considered old.  I think disposable diaper companies are the ones that convinced parents to PT late and coined the "not ready phase".  I mean in reality your never 100% ready for anything, it is the unknown, but you can always be 100% prepared.  My DS was PT at 17 months- daytime, naps and nightime- it was very easy.  At 14 months he was telling us but we put it off because I was prengant at the time.  My 1 year old DD is now coming to us whenever she poops to be changed. 

We just ditched the diapers one day and went straight to underwear.  For us pullups were pointless since we CD.  We set a timer and took him every 30 minutes.  He got an M&M when he went.  The next day we set the timer every hour and did the same thing.  Each day we added 30 more minutes.  He never wore diapers for anything- naps and nightime.  By day 5 we stopped using the timer and he was telling us.  That was over a year ago and we've had no issues.  Best of luck!

I wanted to add: your DH is a great tool for your DS- make sure he takes him with him whenever he goes.

I agree, i'm pt-ing ds now.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagewheelsonthebus:
    image*LrCg*:

I agree, i'm pt-ing ds now.

same here! DS is 25 months and we went cold turkey last week. He was totally day-trained in four days.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"