Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Missed m/c possible d&c today...

Today I had my second ultrasound to follow-up last week. We found out last week the the baby was 2 weeks behind measuring 6w2d when we thought we were 8w6d, didn't have a heartbeat. So today (a week later) we had another ultrasound and the baby is measuring the same and no heartbeat. I should be 7w2d i guess.

So the Dr. gave us the option of a D & C later today or Monday, or wait 2 weeks to see if I miscarry on my own. I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to get it over with today, but the other part is what if they were wrong...I know deniel. But I am also scared of waiting for it to happen and scared of the whole process of waiting and going through it naturally i guess.

What would you do?

Re: Missed m/c possible d&c today...

• I am so sorry you are going through this.  I had a similar situation, Ist ultrasound, just a sac.  Second u/s a week later, still just a sac.  I decided to wait a week to see if I miscarried naturally.  When that didn't happen, my OB recommended I try misoprostol to induce a miscarriage and that worked.  It is really up to you and what you are comfortable with.  (((Hugs)))
  • I had a missed miscarriage 8 weeks ago and opted for the D & C.  It was a blessing to have it done and overwith and move on as much as I could!

All the best to you.  It's such a difficult time but know that others are wishing you well.

• Loading the player...
  • You really have to go with your gut on what feels right for you.

My first two m/c were natural.  A d&c was never even discussed for either as I had already started to bleed.   I also didn't want a d&c.   Everything was already out of my control.  I didn't want someone else taking my baby out of my body.  I prefered letting my body handle it myself.   

My natural miscarriage at 6.5 weeks wasn't too bad.  At it's peak there was about 2-3 hours of strong cramping.     My m/c at 9.5 weeks (had seen the heartbeat 36 hours prior) was much harder.   The baby and placenta were fully formed.  Passing the sac wasn't bad.  Passing the intact placenta was very painful (shoot-me-now pain in the form of rhythmic contractions for 3 hours).

My third m/c (missed m/c -- baby had passed 2 days prior to ultrasound #1) had to be a d&c due to some potential complications.  I was under "conscious" sedation. (I wasn't conscious at all).     Physically, it is over very quickly. The procedure takes under 10 minutes. I was never in any pyhsical pain other than some cramping a day or two after.   Some people bleed/spot afterwards for only a day or two. Others for 16 days and more.

Given the choice I would go natural but I think from what I have seen on this board, more people prefer the d&c.  A big advantage there is that you simply get it over with. Some people feel a d&c in fact gives them more control.

That is why I will say again it is a very personal experience and to go with your gut. I am sorry you are having to face this decision.  I know how awful it is to find out there is no heartbeat.  Take care of yourself, take time to rest, and do what is right for you.

• Hi there...I am so sorry for your loss.  I just went through the same thing.  I went for my 11 week ultrasound and there was no heartbeat and the baby was measuring 8weeks5days.  I was so sad..but I keep telling myself that something must have been wrong and it was nature's way.  My heart still hurts though.

I was given the same options as you.  After talking it over with my DH and doing some reading...we decided to wait and have the natural miscarriage.  It took almost 2 weeks to acutally happen...and I had a lot of spotting and cramping leading up to the miscarriage.  It finally happened at 4:30am Tuesday morning...Everyone is different....but I ended up going to the ER at about 9am because I got scared at the amount of blood I had lost and the large things that I was passing.

When I got there I passed another VERY large thing and then the bleeding seemed to slow down.  They did a pelvic exam and told me they didn't think I needed the D&C and that i could go home.  So I have been at home for the past 3 days...still lots of bleeding and cramping...but more like a heavy period now.  The bleeding picked up yesterday and I had a lot of clots coming out..then it slowed down again.  I think I pushed myself too hard yesterday and I should have been resting more.  Our bodies need time to recover after something like that.

I hope this information will at least help you.  It is totally a personal decision.  I still believe I made the right one...and i think any decision is difficult.  If you have any more questions or I can help in any way, please let me know.  You are in my thoughts...it is a hard time...I understand.  Jenn

BFP #1 3/99. DD born 12/24/99 BFP#2 8/2008. Missed miscarriage found at 11 weeks, Emergency D&C 10/31/08 BFP #3 1/29/09 Natural miscarriage 2/14 BFP#4 4/24 DD born 12/14/09 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm very sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing this week.

I let it happen naturally and I'm glad I did. My doctor said she didn't really recommend a D&C at this point anyway. It wasn't fun, most of it finally happened yesterday, but I'd much rather let my body do it than have that procedure done.

Either way, I wish you luck, and I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just went thru this Monday. Last Wednesday they told me there was no heartbeat, they confirmed it on Thursday. I refused to believe it so they made me come back in Monday. The baby was measuring 6 wks 1 day and I was 8 wks pg.  They gave me the option of natural, medication, or D&C,  But my dr recommended the D&C because my hormone levels were still increasing so it wasnt recognizing that I had a failed pg.  My DH & I chose to do the D&C because they told me the medication wasnt 100% and there was a chance I would have to have the D&C anyway.

I had the D&C done in the office, they gave me a Darvacet to make me kinda loopy, but I was awake for it.  It all happened so fast.  I am now recovering, still having some pain, but my bleeding is very very little.

I think its a personal decision which option is best for you.  In my case I needed medical intervention because my body wouldnt recognize it. Weigh your options and choose the best option for you.

I am very sorry for your loss.  I can say I do completely understand what you are going through.

• I am so sorry for your loss.  I have been through a similar situation.  I went for my regular 8 week u/s and the baby only measured 6w 6d when I was supposed to be 8w 2d.  It was a missed m/c and I had no idea that there was a problem.  The doc gave me the same options.  I chose to have the d and c.  Personally, I did not know if I could emotionally wait for it to happen.  I was already such a wreck.  My suggestion for you is to do what your feel is best for you.  It is your decision and your body.  Also, when it is all over just remember to take time to heal.  You will get through it, just take it one day at a time. 

• First, I am very sorry for your loss.  I was measuring about where you are when I found out we were miscarrying.  I decided to take misoprostol to induce a natural m/c.  I thought that I had passed everything, but did not, had another round of heavy bleeding a few weeks later, and have had spotting or moderate bleeding ever since.  You can click on my chart to see what the extreme of long bleeding is (most girls don't ever go this long according to my doctor and u/s tech).  I am now having to get a D&C afterall -- and my m/c (passing the sac) was 63 days ago.  If I was to do it again, I would get a D&C rather then natural (induced or not indcued).  Good luck to you and I am sorry you are going through this.

• I just wanted to let you know that I ended up back in the ER on Friday...my bleeding got so heavy again and was passing large clots again.  Long story short...after 6 hours I ended up having emergency D & C...had I known how easy it was going to be...I would have just done the surgery from the beginning.  I was out and then awake after 30 minutes...I have a little pain and feel very tired...but so much better than before.  I am still bleeding...but just like a period.  I hope you are closer to a decision...I just wanted to update you on what happened with me.  Good luck...thinking of you during this hard time.
    BFP #1 3/99. DD born 12/24/99 BFP#2 8/2008. Missed miscarriage found at 11 weeks, Emergency D&C 10/31/08 BFP #3 1/29/09 Natural miscarriage 2/14 BFP#4 4/24 DD born 12/14/09 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"