Houston Babies

Gripe Water

So Cameron has entered the inconsolable screaming phase and I can hear the gas in his tummy.  Gripe water has been suggested and I went out and bought some.

For whatever reason I tasted it first before giving it to him.  YUCK.

Please please tell me this stuff works or I can't bring myself to give him something that I wouldn't take myself unless I knew there would be results.

Thanks.

Re: Gripe Water

• It worked with Sarah, haven't tried with Jacob yet.

btw, I taste everything too....that stuff is yuck!

• Gripe water didn't do a thing for DD, but Mylicon seemed to help with gas a bit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • i always used mylicon and it has always worked. lots of people use gripe water so it must work for some and be ok. 

just as an aside, i will tell you i read some articles (but i admittedly read way too much) that said not to use gripe water b/c it's herbal and has never been medically tested or something like that... they said that mylicon is not absorbed by the body (GW is) and that it just grabs the gas and passes right through. these were from the earthy mother type sites i read, so i thought that was interesting b/c you would think they would be all about herbal everything...

• We went through this too.  Mylicon seems to help as does constant burping, even before feedings and after picking him up from sleeping.  I also BF so I discovered that dairy contributed among other things and eliminated them.  So I am now dairy, peanut, chocolate and caffeine free :(

• Mylicon is wonderful we used it often with DS.  We always used the Kroger brand, it's ALOT cheaper and worked just as well.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • We use Little Tummy's instead of Mylicon
  • imageretsub:
    We use Little Tummy's instead of Mylicon

ditto! ?I found the the Little Tuies (I have no ".." on the keyboard right now). ?Little Tuiies worked better for us. ?

in fact, we still use it. ??

• imagerayskit10:

i always used mylicon and it has always worked. lots of people use gripe water so it must work for some and be ok. 

just as an aside, i will tell you i read some articles (but i admittedly read way too much) that said not to use gripe water b/c it's herbal and has never been medically tested or something like that... they said that mylicon is not absorbed by the body (GW is) and that it just grabs the gas and passes right through. these were from the earthy mother type sites i read, so i thought that was interesting b/c you would think they would be all about herbal everything...

This is what I heard as well. Doc suggests for things like this to trust in long case studies vs. the herbal nature of things. We used Little Tummies that comes in a dye-free version. (Same active ingredients as Mylecon, different company.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"