Eco-Friendly Family

How to clean mold on wooden toys?

I bought a set of used wooden dollhouse furniture on ebay. As I pulled it out of the box I could smell the musty odor of mold. Ick! Most of the wood is unfinished/ untreated but some pieces are partially painted. I cleaned off the visible mold with 7th gen disinfecting wipes but the wood still smells. I'll put them out in the sun tomorrow too to see if that helps. Or bleach? Am I wasting my time trying to get them clean? Now this is what I get for trying to be crunchy and thrifty. 

Before I cleaned it: the worst visible mold is on the section below the green door - sorry it's not a great pic: image  

Re: How to clean mold on wooden toys?

• What do you have on hand?

I'd probably stick it outside and spray it down with vinegar. Then I'd let it sit in the sun. If I had TTO I'd probably mix a couple of drops with the vinegar because TTO is an anti-fungal. Straight vinegar is too though so that should be sufficient.

• Thoroughly dry them by sunning them - bone dry and keep them that way.  I would also wipe them down with a bleach solution. 10 parts bleach to one parts water.  Mold cannot live without moisture so as long as you remove the visible mold and keep it dry, it should die out.  Once the mold is cleared up, I would recommend applying a seal.  I would try this before wasting it but I personally wouldn't be willing to do more work than this.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageblissfully_caffeinated:

What do you have on hand?

I'd probably stick it outside and spray it down with vinegar. Then I'd let it sit in the sun. If I had TTO I'd probably mix a couple of drops with the vinegar because TTO is an anti-fungal. Straight vinegar is too though so that should be sufficient.

Yes

This! 

perviously known as wannabecrunchymama
  • Thanks for the advice!
  • baah! I meant 10 water :1 bleach!  oops.  The vinegar idea is good but I am paranoid about mold.  We had it in our last house when I was still pregnant.  We got rid of most of it but moved out of there asap anyway!  The only thing that really helped was bleach.  But it was pretty bad.
  • imageanniebet619:
    baah! I meant 10 water :1 bleach!  oops.  The vinegar idea is good but I am paranoid about mold.  We had it in our last house when I was still pregnant.  We got rid of most of it but moved out of there asap anyway!  The only thing that really helped was bleach.  But it was pretty bad.

Lol! I figured. I did bleach the heck out of them last night. Now they smell of mold AND bleach. It is rainy today, but hopefully the sun will appear later. If that doesn't work.....

• Gigi4everGigi4ever member
    edited September 2014
    Edited by NariaDreaming for Spam
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"