Eco-Friendly Family

ds just had a night terror:(

i know these aren't supposed to be a big deal, but i feel helpless when i go in to comfort ds and he's having one. i almost cried tonight. i felt so bad for ds.

i had NT as a child, too. does anyone else's lo have them? how do you react when it happens?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: ds just had a night terror:(

• I'm so sorry, Lar! :(  S has them too and I know how upsetting they are.  For her, she gets more upset if you try to comfort her in the middle of one.  So I pretty much just sit on her bed, make sure she's OK, and wait in case she fully wakes up and needs me.  If I try to calm her down in the middle of one she'll psychically fight me, claw, hit, etc.  They just make you feel so helpless.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageDobie_Mama:
    I'm so sorry, Lar! :(  S has them too and I know how upsetting they are.  For her, she gets more upset if you try to comfort her in the middle of one.  So I pretty much just sit on her bed, make sure she's OK, and wait in case she fully wakes up and needs me.  If I try to calm her down in the middle of one she'll psychically fight me, claw, hit, etc.  They just make you feel so helpless.

how o you tell the difference between a nightmare and a night terror when you first go in to console her? i actually thought ds was awake because he was standing by his bed, but apparently he wasn't.

ugh- this parenthood thing is tough sometimes! how often does S have them?

• Loading the player...
  • Normally if it's a nightmare she'll be crying/talking in her sleep and we can calm her down.  But if it's a night terror she'll appear awake but not be.  A week or so ago she actually had one where she started sleepwalking!  Talk about terrifying.

She normally has one every few weeks or so.  We've found that if she has a lot of stimuli before bed (music, TV, etc.) they're more prevalent.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageDobie_Mama:

Normally if it's a nightmare she'll be crying/talking in her sleep and we can calm her down.  But if it's a night terror she'll appear awake but not be.  A week or so ago she actually had one where she started sleepwalking!  Talk about terrifying.

She normally has one every few weeks or so.  We've found that if she has a lot of stimuli before bed (music, TV, etc.) they're more prevalent.

i'm sure sleepwalking is terrifying! i wonder if ds would have sleepwalked if i hadn't gone in there. the 2 times i remember that he had a night terror, he was screaming/crying.

ds was very sleepy tonight, so maybe he was overly tired.

• Hugs. They are so scary. DD has them, too. Hers sound just like Dobbies little girl. Actually DD had one last night. She was up till 1030 last night (she just wouldn't go to bed) and had a fun filled day with her cousins. She was really over tired. By 1230 she was sitting up in bed crying for me so I went to her picked her up and she started hitting me and pushing me, she was asleep the whole time. She then cried out load and called for me for about 10 mins then she was calm. I hate when she has one. She gets about 1 every 2 weeks or so. My niece has them also but worse than DD. Hers sound as if someone is hurting her and she cries no a lot. It freaks my sister out. DDs (for now at least) sound as if she's scared. GL I hope your DS doesn't continue to get them.
  • imageDobie_Mama:

Normally if it's a nightmare she'll be crying/talking in her sleep and we can calm her down.  But if it's a night terror she'll appear awake but not be.  A week or so ago she actually had one where she started sleepwalking!  Talk about terrifying.

Eek! Sleep walking. That is so scary. Hope it was just a one time thing, and something she doesn't do more while having the NT. Hugs
  • imageRis1127:
    Hugs. They are so scary. DD has them, too. Hers sound just like Dobbies little girl. Actually DD had one last night. She was up till 1030 last night (she just wouldn't go to bed) and had a fun filled day with her cousins. She was really over tired. By 1230 she was sitting up in bed crying for me so I went to her picked her up and she started hitting me and pushing me, she was asleep the whole time. She then cried out load and called for me for about 10 mins then she was calm. I hate when she has one. She gets about 1 every 2 weeks or so. My niece has them also but worse than DD. Hers sound as if someone is hurting her and she cries no a lot. It freaks my sister out. DDs (for now at least) sound as if she's scared. GL I hope your DS doesn't continue to get them.

ds says NO a lot, too. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"