South Jersey Babies
Options

Short Term Disability in NJ

Hello all NJ girls...wondering if anyone else is going through this or has any help with  collecting STD while pregnant. I've been experiencing complications with this pregnancy that has caused me to be on and off bed rest since the end of January. Sometimes I was told to rest for a week, other times it was just one or two days (mostly due to bleeding throughout pregnancy). My employer has informed me that NJ FMLA only covers your job from being terminated due to absences associated with the pregnancy, no pay involved. And that you can not collect STD through the nine months for absences associated with the pregnancy. Basically bottom line is that if I am out, I will have to use my own PTO or paid time off and if I run out of that  I'm (excuse my language) but sh*t out of luck. No pay. According to the information I was given you must be out for longer than 7 consecutive days to receive any type of benefits. As I have already been out so much so far I have no more PTO left to use until I acrue more and this means any days out will be unpaid. I just can't imagine this is the case. Oh! and the best part, when I told her that basically then I was receiving no benefit, HR responded that well job security is my benefit and I said well I have a good relationship with my boss and dont think they would fire me, her response was, well there is no favoritism because your pregnant, the same rules and attendance requirements apply to you as well. WHAT!!!! Ok so a little bit of venting and also need some advice, is this really the deal in NJ????

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Short Term Disability in NJ

• Options
    Your doctor has to write you out on STD to receive any compensation for it.  If your doctor hasn't written you out then you won't get STD pay for it. 
  • Options

And as far as I know, the person who told you about the 7 days is correct -- you have to go a full week without work -- and pay -- before you can collect STD. And even then you have to have a note from your OB saying that you are unable to work. And to the best of my knowledge NJ only covers 4 weeks before birth and 6 (or 8 if you have a c/s) after. Anything over and above that is NOT covered AND you have to use your sick/vacation time BEFORE you can start to collect STD -- which is only 60% of your salary. 

I know it's a crappy situation. I work for the fed gov't and I don't have access to NJ STD and we don't have any kind of "maternity leave," so once I use my saved sick/vacation time, every day that I am out of work is unpaid. I am greatful that I have a job to go back to, but not being paid isn't ideal. But, I was well aware of our policy before I got pg so we have money saved to cover my 4 month leave.

Sorry to hear you are having poblems & good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the info...I've had notes from my MD for the past four months. I was aware of the situation when the baby is born as we've also been planning for this and saving, what we werent expecting was all the days I'd be missing prior to the due date. I guess I was just surprised there wasn't any covereage for intermittent leave prior to the baby being born and that any days I've been out due to bed rest are actually being counted against the leave I"ll be able to use when the baby is born. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that we've gotten through the bumpy part and the next 5 months will be smooth sailing.

• Options
    image3Girls3xsTheFun:

And as far as I know, the person who told you about the 7 days is correct -- you have to go a full week without work -- and pay -- before you can collect STD. And even then you have to have a note from your OB saying that you are unable to work. And to the best of my knowledge NJ only covers 4 weeks before birth and 6 (or 8 if you have a c/s) after. Anything over and above that is NOT covered AND you have to use your sick/vacation time BEFORE you can start to collect STD -- which is only 60% of your salary. 

This.

Also, you have job protection under FMLA for 12 weeks in a one year period.  You cannot use the NJ Family Leave Act protection until after the baby is born.  Basically FMLA provides protection for an illness you may have or a family member, NJFLA is specifically for care of a family member.  My point is, your employer may let you go after you use up the 12 weeks of protection under FMLA if it is used up before your child is born.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Unfortunately, everyone already covered things.

But, honestly, with the Family Medical Leave Insurance in NJ, we have a good deal for maternity leave, so although this sucks right now, I was really happy to work in NJ after I found that out and was able to stay out 4 mos after my DD was born when friends of mine were going back at 6 wks.

Sorry for the run-on. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"