June 2011 Moms
Options

Bassinets - Worth it?

We never registered for a bassinet because we figured they were a waste of money. NOW....I'm sitting here curious if that was a mistake. Are bassinets worth the extra cost for such a short time of use?? Thoughts? (33w1d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bassinets - Worth it?

• Options
    I think it is a personal preference.  We lived in a small town house when I had my first daughter.  Lack of room forced us to just assemble the crib in our room and put her in it from day 1.  It worked out so nicely that this time around, even in our own home, we are putting the crib in our room and having this baby sleep in there for the first few months.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Definitely personal preference. We decided to get the Graco Travel Lite PNP. It's smaller than a typical PNP, so we're using it as a bassinett in our room at the beginning, but then we'll have it for travel, overnight stays at grandmas, etc.

I have lots of friends who have used their PNP as a bassinett at the beginning instead of buying a separate one.  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We registered for one because we live in a 1 story house and will have the pack n play set up downstairs.  I want to have her in our room for at least a few weeks so this was our solution.
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

Definitely personal preference. We decided to get the Graco Travel Lite PNP. It's smaller than a typical PNP, so we're using it as a bassinett in our room at the beginning, but then we'll have it for travel, overnight stays at grandmas, etc.

I have lots of friends who have used their PNP as a bassinett at the beginning instead of buying a separate one.  

We were going to use the PNP as a bassinet, but we have a two story house, and the bedrooms are upstairs, and I wanted to have something downstairs for the baby to nap in. 

So the PNP will stay downstairs (prob in the living room), and we will get a bassinet for upstairs in our room (to make late night feedings easier) - once LO sleeps through the night, we will start to transition him to the crib.

• Options

We are still debating between putting the baby directly into the crib in his room from day 1, or having him sleep in the PNP for a few weeks, then moving him. There is a double bed in the baby's room and we'll leave that there for now...so if I want to sleep in there with him, I can (and let DH get some sleep since he'll only have a week off work.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    jdubhjdubh member

I think that it just depends on what you want. The nursery is pretty far away from our bedroom so we chose to get a pack and play and our baby will sleep in it, in our bedroom for a few weeks before we move her to her nursery. I felt like we would really use the pack and play even after she's not sleeping in it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We registered for one just because LO's nursery is quite a ways away from ours and we want to have him in our room for the first couple weeks/months until he gets a pattern down with sleeping/eating. Also, we travel a lot so when we're in a hotel, we're going to need a bassinet for him to sleep in.
  • Options
    We aren't getting one (unless we get one as a hand me down from a family member).  Instead I registered for the Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper which can be used for the baby to sleep in.  It's portable too...so very convenient to carry around the house and when you're going to family or friend's houses.
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Options

imagecvl105:
    We aren't getting one (unless we get one as a hand me down from a family member).  Instead I registered for the Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper which can be used for the baby to sleep in.  It's portable too...so very convenient to carry around the house and when you're going to family or friend's houses.

We got the rock and play....couldn't go wrong with all the great reviews on BRU and amazon.  And we live in an apartment....

Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had one with my DS and found it to be a total waste.  He hated it.  He did better in the pnp.  This time around we have no space so I just put the crib in my room.  It's up toy you, but I thought it was a waste of money.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We aren't doing a bassinet, instead we have a Moses basket. It's much smaller and it'll work just as well, then moving to the crib. I know people will put the baby in the crib right away, but I don't know how much I'll be up with the baby and didn't want to keep having to bend into the crib and lift them up in a sleep deprived state (I'm so worried I'll drop the baby because I'll be half asleep!)

A bassinet isn't a "must". There are plenty of people who use a PNP, and some are built better to function as a bassinet substitute if you went that route.

• Options

We didn't register for one figuring that it was not worth it for something they outgrow so quickly...but my MIL being the shopaholic that she is saw this one and bought it for us (https://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3822328#ReviewHeader)

We have the PNP upstairs in our room and put this  basinette downstairs in the living room for daytime naps.  I do like that the sleeper part is removable so it will be handy for visits at friends and family....but I do wish it was more "breathable" which is why it will be for daytime when I'm awake enough to keep an eye on her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They'd be in the bassinet for such a short time period, I couldn't justify it. We're going to get a pnp w/a bassinet attachment and use it instead since you can get these for as little $60-80.  We plan on putting the pnp in our room for the first month or so, but we'll see (LO's room is just across the hall from ours). We'll need the pnp for visiting grandparents and traveling anyway, so this makes it a better solution for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We weren't going to get one, but then we got a barely used one from DH's coworker for $45 and for such a low cost, it seemed worth it to have the option. We plan to transition to the crib fairly soon though.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"