2nd Trimester

Is frozen yogurt generally safe to eat??

IN my first pregnancy I freaked out after eating frozen yogurt because I read aboutt he chances of listeria...but is this even REALLY an issue?  Anyone know if it is something they have been advised not to eat?  Thx
Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Is frozen yogurt generally safe to eat??

• I was not told by my OB to stay away from it.  I have been eating it at least once a week b/c it is already like 80 degrees here in Texas!!  And no problems with me!  I think the danger lurks more in the cleanliness of the machines at yogurt shops than the actual yogurt.  If you are really worried get the frozen stuff from the store. 
  • I think the fear is about the cleanliness of the machines in frozen yogurt shops, and not frozen yogurt in general.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetxhottie:
    I was not told by my OB to stay away from it.  I have been eating it at least once a week b/c it is already like 80 degrees here in Texas!!  And no problems with me!  I think the danger lurks more in the cleanliness of the machines at yogurt shops than the actual yogurt.  If you are really worried get the frozen stuff from the store. 

Right--and the bacteria from the machines gettign INTO the yogurt....I just really want some and am paranoid that Ill be that one person that gets ill.....ugh

Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
    Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
    2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
    Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I eat soft serve once a week.  A friend on mine suggested I not eat it.  I called my doctor to ask about this friend's comment and they laughed out loud saying that comment was crazy and to eat the ice cream and enjoy.  So I do.  That being said, go to a clean place and you should be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just like ANY place you eat out, use your noggin, examine the prep area and the habits of the employees before you eat. There are a LOT of foodborne illnesses you can catch that will harm you and your baby, and you can get them ANYWHERE, from fresh food, from prepackaged food, from a restaurant, and from your own home. So obviously it's not worth it to worry about everything you put in your mouth. Just be smart and pay attention to your surroundings and practice safe food handling whenever possible.

• I own a self serve frozen yogurt shop. I think I would say like PPs, use your head. Is the establishment clean? Ask them how (and how often) they clean their machines). Some places do more than others I would say. I eat frozen yogurt a few times a week and my doctor is fine with it. Everything in moderation and be smart about where you are going to get it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am a pretty relaxed mom and I avoid it.  I eat it at home all of the time. It's just one of those things that I can easily avoid and then not have to worry, KWIM?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • I get a hot fudge sundae from Sonic probably 2-3 times a week and haven't had any problems.... besides the fact I am putting on the pounds Embarrassed

• imageSailorGray:
    I am a pretty relaxed mom and I avoid it.  I eat it at home all of the time. It's just one of those things that I can easily avoid and then not have to worry, KWIM?

Same here. I figure it's a good excuse to buy Haagen Daaz!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Remember too, the cleanliness of the machines also goes for any soft serve.  This includes places like McDonalds, etc. 

TCBY and other yogurt places often have "scooped" ice cream as well.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You cold be exposed to bacteria and listeria at any food establishment... if your worried about frozen yogurt places, might as well just avoid resturants altogether... And make sure you keep your kitchen really clean too...
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have yet to see this referenced in a credible source - it was not in the info my OB gave and I do not see it anywhere on the government or American Pregnancy Association sites that address listeria.  I posted about it here once and still only got a bunch of "I heard from" or "my friend said" or "I think I read it somewhere once".  If I ever do see it in a credible form, I will probably avoid it as I have been avoiding deli meat and other stuff on the list.  However, until then, I am enjoying it on occasion :)

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• My dr said it was not an issue and that in 30 years of practive he had never had an expectant mother get listeria.

• imagejntaylor11:
    You cold be exposed to bacteria and listeria at any food establishment... if your worried about frozen yogurt places, might as well just avoid resturants altogether... And make sure you keep your kitchen really clean too...

This! I got food poisoning from going to Lebanese Taverna (so did my DH, DD and even the poor dog). 

• claarclaar member

imageoverture:
    I think the fear is about the cleanliness of the machines in frozen yogurt shops, and not frozen yogurt in general.

My husband owns a few shops, and they clean their machines 4 times a week (every other day).  When you go in the shop, you should ask how often they clean them.  I eat yogurt almost everyday-it's delicious! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"