Potty Training

Literally crying from frustration!

I really don't have a clue what to do.  A few weeks ago, my son decided he was ready to try potty training.  He would tell us when he had to go to the potty and he was great at it.  (he still has yet to poop on the potty though).  We praised and praised and he thought he was so cool. 

Then we started realizing last week at daycare and at home that he wouldn't tell us anymore.  He started just using his pull ups.  So then after discussing it with his DCP, we decided to just remove the pull ups.  Now we are stuck in a pattern where he will NOT let us know when he has to potty.  We take him at regular intervals every day....But....he doesn't seem concerned in the least about accidents.  He will simply tell us that he needs to be changed.  He fights his potty times.

The most frustrating part is that we will take him to the potty, he will use it, wash his hands and go play...behind his train table or in a corner to quietly poop in his pants.  He seems totally unfazed.  I try to stay positive but it's killing me.  I really don't mind the clean ups...if I thought he was learning or that he was trying it wouldn't matter.  ANY ADVICE?  His DCP says that if we stop and start, it will take longer to get him trained....he will be 3 in June...HELP !  Please!

Re: Literally crying from frustration!

• I am giong to disagree with your DCP on this.  Sounds like he just isn't ready.  If he is fighting his potty times, isn't bothered by accidents...I think that making him sit on the potty is going to make things worse.  I would wait it out and try again in a few months.

If you really don't like that idea, have you tried things that motivate him?  Stickers, jelly beans, etc.?  Maybe you can give him one jelly bean if he sits on the potty without a fight and 2 if he actually goes.

Really, though, I would wait it out. 

DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • imageCareBear0607:

I am giong to disagree with your DCP on this.  Sounds like he just isn't ready.  If he is fighting his potty times, isn't bothered by accidents...I think that making him sit on the potty is going to make things worse.  I would wait it out and try again in a few months.

Really, though, I would wait it out. 

I have to agree with this.  I have potty trained my 3 kids.  My first and third were easy.  My second wasn't as phased by accidents etc.  We also had a lot going on in our lives at the time.  She did well then just stopped.  I went back to diapers for a month or so until she showed interest again.  Once she was actually ready it didn't take long at all.  I would wait it out or it may make it worse.  I think even rewards may not help until he is ready. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you all for the advice and thoughts....luckily the stand off only lasted a week.  He is now trucking along.  We are even asking to go to the potty for number 2...he's really doing a great job with it.  I must have just been in a panic.

I did consider stopping...and we tried.  I kept sending him to the potty and he eventually got passed whatever it was.  THANK GOODNESS!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"