Connecticut Babies

Natural birth near Greenwich and driving question . . .

Hi all,

I currently live in Greenwich and my OB/Midwives are in the city.  I delivered my DD in the city and am hoping #2 will be delivered at the birth center affiliated with the same hospital.  However, this time around they are concerned with the long (gasp - 45 minute) drive and think I should deliver more locally.

I don't know much about Greenwich hospital, but it doesn't appear that there is any sort of midwife group that is affiliated with the hospital.

My primary concern is having the flexibility to have a natural birth as I did with my first (if all goes well of course).

Anyone know of a natural birth friendly hospital, group, center near Greenwich? Does a 45 minute drive to a birth center sound that bad anyway?

Thanks for your adivice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Natural birth near Greenwich and driving question . . .

• I see an OB, Dr Kleban ( Dr. Violi's practice on Deerfield) I am delivering at Greenwich hospital. I have called and there are No Midwives with privileges at Greenwich Hospital. If you call the Gwich Hosp L&D they will tell you the other hospitals that have birth centers/midwives in the area. I THINK Norwalk, Danbury - but if you're in Greenwich, Thats going to be about 20-35 min drive depending on traffic anyway, so might as well stay with NYC. 

White Plains hospital I think has midwives. And Phelps memorial in Sleepy Hollow (NY) has a birth center with midwives  - Again Phels Mem is probably about 30-40 min from downtown Greenwich, so same as your current practice...

Hudson Valley Hospital has a birth Center too( my sister delivered there about 10 yrs ago, with a MW) (same distance, commute) 

Hope that was helpful. This is my first baby so Im hoping to have a positive natural birth experience with my doctor. We (FI and I) are debating whether or not to hire a doula.  I also do not want to travel too far, and right now Gwich Hosp is about 3 minutes from my home. So Im just planning to labor at home as long as possible and head to the hospital. My doctors seem to be pretty accommodating to my needs and wants for a natural birth. We'll see!

:)

What is your EDD?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the advice! This is very helpful.  This is sort of what I had suspected, that if I want a birth center/midwife setting, I might as well go for the drive to the city. 

I labored at home with my first and drove to the hospital and it was very successful.  It is so much more comfortable to be at home . . . my midwives even suggested this for me as an option and to just go to Greenwich.  If I knew a Dr there I was comfortable with I would probably go that route.  Sounds like your Dr is supportive or your desire to go natural so that is really encouraging.  Have you talked to them about how long they'll "let you go" past your due date? I was a week late, so I'm expecting to go 41 weeks again this time.  I've had so many friends who were induced and ended up with C-sections I'm trying to avoid that obviously.

Also, I highly recommend the doula.  We hired one last time around and it was incredibly helpful.  She knew all sorts of breathing techniques and strategies to alleviate labor pains that my husband just wouldn't have known.  And as much as you can read and study (and I did), it's great in the moment to have someone in your ear telling you what to do . . . I'm not saying you can't without, but it certainly didn't hurt! It's also nice to have a "backup" for your husband . . .

I love the idea of being so close to the hospital though, especially so my husband can go home to sleep and we don't have to worry about private rooms and all that nonsense.

My EDD is 9/24 . . . 4 days before my DD's birthday, she might be getting a baby for her birthday!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageelle_bee:

Thanks for the advice! This is very helpful.  This is sort of what I had suspected, that if I want a birth center/midwife setting, I might as well go for the drive to the city. 

I labored at home with my first and drove to the hospital and it was very successful.  It is so much more comfortable to be at home . . . my midwives even suggested this for me as an option and to just go to Greenwich.  If I knew a Dr there I was comfortable with I would probably go that route.  Sounds like your Dr is supportive or your desire to go natural so that is really encouraging.  Have you talked to them about how long they'll "let you go" past your due date? I was a week late, so I'm expecting to go 41 weeks again this time.  I've had so many friends who were induced and ended up with C-sections I'm trying to avoid that obviously.

Also, I highly recommend the doula.  We hired one last time around and it was incredibly helpful.  She knew all sorts of breathing techniques and strategies to alleviate labor pains that my husband just wouldn't have known.  And as much as you can read and study (and I did), it's great in the moment to have someone in your ear telling you what to do . . . I'm not saying you can't without, but it certainly didn't hurt! It's also nice to have a "backup" for your husband . . .

I love the idea of being so close to the hospital though, especially so my husband can go home to sleep and we don't have to worry about private rooms and all that nonsense.

My EDD is 9/24 . . . 4 days before my DD's birthday, she might be getting a baby for her birthday!

Oh Boy is that exciting! We just started a Bradley Class last week (in Darien) and I do Prenatal Yoga (and love it) -- Not sure we'll do the doula. I was all about it earlier, but my mom is a former midwife and we're very close so I just feel the doula might be overkill. 

They dont give straight answers about going past EDD. I dont think theyll let you past 42 wks. (i think) but since anything is a possibility they dont really give you specific answers because you dont know what your situation will actually be. Since youre not a FTM they may be able to better answer based on your previous delivery. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"