Military Families
Options

Anyones DH/SO been to OBC (BOLC)?

DH will be going this summer and I'm wanting to plan a trip down to see him. I'd like to fly (so getting the tickets as soon as I can). Is there a good time to plan to go? I know there will be 2 or 3 weeks he'll be in the field, but I'd like to get down about week 4 or 5 so it's half-way through the course.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyones DH/SO been to OBC (BOLC)?

• Options
    My husband was in BOLC not too long ago.  He was pretty close to where we were and DD and I went down to stay with him every few weekends or so.  He was in a nice hotel room on the post that he had to himself.  It even had a small kitchenette so it was like an apartment.  Just be really flexible and see how it is going in the beginning because he may even get to come home some if it isn't too far from where you currently live.
  • Options

imagemommaJen10:
    My husband was in BOLC not too long ago.  He was pretty close to where we were and DD and I went down to stay with him every few weekends or so.  He was in a nice hotel room on the post that he had to himself.  It even had a small kitchenette so it was like an apartment.  Just be really flexible and see how it is going in the beginning because he may even get to come home some if it isn't too far from where you currently live.

Unfortunately we'll be several states away. He'll be in TX and I'll be here in KS. For our son I'd like to go down at least once, twice if we're lucky.

Thanks! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is he going to OBC at Ft Sam? I went in 2006, that's actually where I met my husband. I can answer some questions about the lodging and course if you would like.
  • Options

Here is the website with tons of info: https://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/

• Options
    imageGreenFlamingo7:
    Is he going to OBC at Ft Sam? I went in 2006, that's actually where I met my husband. I can answer some questions about the lodging and course if you would like.
    thank you! Yes he will be at ft sam for the nursing program and general training. Is there any possibility I could drive or fly down for the weekend and actually see him? Thanks for the site rec, i will check it out (on my phone right now)
  • Options

OBC is pretty cake, to be honest. They have restructured the program since I went, but it is still an easy course. Unless they have changed it in the last year, he will have every weekend off. Even when we were in the field, we came back for the weekends. You absolutely can and should go visit. Here's the tricky part- when I attended, everyone had their own room. I have heard from more recent classes that they had roommates, but the buildings were undergoing renovation at that time. I don't know if the current classes have roommates. There are two buildings that house everyone, if those are full then he will be in a hotel off post. If he does have a room to himself, you can stay there with him.

OBC is a lot of fun- lots of time to socialize and go out. We went on weekend trips to Corpus Christi, went horseback riding, floated a nearby river a few times. If spouses came into town for a visit, they went out with us too. It really was a lot of fun.

• Options
    imageGreenFlamingo7:
    OBC is a lot of fun- lots of time to socialize and go out. We went on weekend trips to Corpus Christi, went horseback riding, floated a nearby river a few times. If spouses came into town for a visit, they went out with us too. It really was a lot of fun.
    I was going to say the same until I realized that it was 11 years ago this fall that I went through OBC. It wasn't even BOLC yet.....ay yey yey I've just been reminded just how old I am.
  • Options
    My DH went through OBC/BOLC about two years ago. His time off will depend on his branch. But they do get a lot of down time in the evenings and weekends. We actually PCSed to Ft. Leonard Wood with him b/c his wait for OBC was 6 months and the class was another 6 months or so. We lived there for a year. We saw him most evenings and weekends. Except for that time they were in the field. Maybe wait until your DH gets there an gets his actual schedule to make plans to visit.
  • Options

imagenoah-bear:
    imageGreenFlamingo7:
    thank you! Yes he will be at ft sam for the nursing program and general training. Is there any possibility I could drive or fly down for the weekend and actually see him? Thanks for the site rec, i will check it out (on my phone right now)

My DH will be there too. He is a nurse as well, but commissioned as Medical Services. I am also hoping to go down and visit him (we live in South Dakota) while he is there, so this was a handy thread for me too! Everything I have heard and seen (I did some training at Ft. Sam myself in 2005) tells me that they will have some free time for us. Not sure how much fun I will be...third trimester in the Texas heat!...but it will be good to see him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"