Breastfeeding

how long do you pump for???

In the mornings I am so engorged, I have been pumping after feeding Avery around 9:30 (she eats around 8:30).  I only pump for about 10 minutes and get about 4.5 oz of milk.  (about 3 oz comes from the side I didn't feed from last).  is this enough?  I am pumping to basically relieve my engorgemet. 

Re: how long do you pump for???

• I only pump at work and I pump for about 5 minutes after the milk stops coming.  The longer/more you pump the more milk you will produce.

My milk supply really went down around 5 months and we are almost out of  freezer supply so I suggest you stock up (that is if you need to for work).  I only get 4-6 oz while at work and DD eats 8 oz so I am loosing milk.  I kind of wish I would have pumped and saved more milk when I had oversupply! 

• Totally jealous of your supply. I nurse and pump, and in a good day, I can produce maybe 12 oz total off the pump.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejohnsoar:

I only pump at work and I pump for about 5 minutes after the milk stops coming.  The longer/more you pump the more milk you will produce.

This is what I did too.  It took me about 20 minutes to pump.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I pump at work twice a day for about 10-15 min each session.  I double pump and get anywhere between 12 to 18 ounces in a day.  That said, I have an Oversupply issue still.  I just have a great freezer stash.
  • If you are only pumping to relive engorgement, that is fine!  If you were to be ever pumping to improve your supply (doesn't sound like an issue!) you would want to pump for 15-20 minutes, or for 5 minutes after the flow stops. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I pump 2 times per day at work and get about 10-12 oz, each session last about 10- 15 min. Your supply is pretty good!
    Sign up to get great deals!! http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=2654096 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a huge over production issue and had to pump for about 30 minutes to relieve all engorgement...and milk was flowing all 30 minutes.  I pumped 2 times per day though so it was worth it for me to do longer, but fewer sessions. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"