October 2011 Moms

*Unpopular Opinion Thursday*

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *Unpopular Opinion Thursday*

• Here's mine:

People should not disseminate medical information on a pregnancy message board unless they actually know what they are talking about.  Similarly, women should not take medical guidance or advice from a pregnancy message board.  It's just not a good idea.

• I find it strange/uncomfortable to see kids who walk, talk and have a mouthful of teeth (toddlers)...breastfeeding. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm always amazed at people (internet and real life) who don't drink. EVER. I mean, I'm not touching the stuff during pregnancy, but I'm going to be honest, drinking was something I really enjoyed before getting KU. I spent most of my twenties in bars! It's such a huge part of the social fabric of my life, I have trouble imagining what not drinking EVER even looks like. It's not drinking to get drunk, but a few glasses of wine was definitely a part of my life several days a week, if not more.

*hangs head in shame for now sounding like a recovering alcoholic*

• I have absolutely no desire to breastfeed. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagealison2379:

I'm always amazed at people (internet and real life) who don't drink. EVER. I mean, I'm not touching the stuff during pregnancy, but I'm going to be honest, drinking was something I really enjoyed before getting KU. I spent most of my twenties in bars! It's such a huge part of the social fabric of my life, I have trouble imagining what not drinking EVER even looks like. It's not drinking to get drunk, but a few glasses of wine was definitely a part of my life several days a week, if not more.

I am with you! I miss my evening glass of vino. I have told DH we have to make sure we have a bottle on hand when I come home from the hospital (in actuality, I'm sure that will be the last thing on my mind but still!)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I am so over Taylor Swift. Only she would make a "cutesy" song about an abusive alcoholic. I am even more concerned I'm the only one who thinks thats odd.
  • imageababymaybe:
    imagealison2379:

I'm always amazed at people (internet and real life) who don't drink. EVER. I mean, I'm not touching the stuff during pregnancy, but I'm going to be honest, drinking was something I really enjoyed before getting KU. I spent most of my twenties in bars! It's such a huge part of the social fabric of my life, I have trouble imagining what not drinking EVER even looks like. It's not drinking to get drunk, but a few glasses of wine was definitely a part of my life several days a week, if not more.

I am with you! I miss my evening glass of vino. I have told DH we have to make sure we have a bottle on hand when I come home from the hospital (in actuality, I'm sure that will be the last thing on my mind but still!)

I am one of those who doesn't drink, ever.  I grew up with an alcoholic father as well as the rest of his family.  Definitely saw some things I shouldn't have at a very young age and just never had the desire to go there.  It didn't stop me from going to bars, dancing on bars, and having a great time with all of my friends though.  Plus, I always knew my friends had a safe ride home which was important to me. 

• The 20 week ultrasound is called an anatomy scan because they are looking at/measuring the babies anatomy (heart, kidney, etc.). The purpose of this ultrasound is not to find out the sex of the baby, it just so happens that they can tell the sex at this point. It drives me insane when people call it the "gender scan" or insinuate that the purpose of the u/s is to find out the sex of their baby. Yes, if our LO's cooperate we would like to know the sex of our babies, but I'm much more concerned about everything else they will be looking at during this u/s.

• I think UFC, boxing, any kind of fighting, etc is sick. I just don't understand why people enjoy watching someone get their a$$ kicked. I never understood those people who would start yelling "Fight, fight, fight!" and then a crowd would gather around the 2 people fighting. Why is this fun to watch?
    Honeymooning image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • People keep posting FB messages complaining about how much money the president and members of Congress make.  I think these posts are completely ignorant.

Our leaders are supposed to be the brilliant people we trust with handling billions of dollars in revenue and debt.  We want people in those jobs who can handle that responsibility, and the right kind of brainy people for those jobs would make a crapload more money in the private sector.  Our problem is that we have elected morons into those jobs -- not the money they are paid.  And you couldn't pay me enough to take on the job of President.

Also, JLo is People Magazine's most beautiful?  As if.

And Ugg boots are ugly.

DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageababymaybe:
    imagealison2379:

I basically never drink.  I may have 2-4 drinks a year.  I enjoy a good frozen strawberry margarita now and then.  But, I have only been drunk once and hated the way I felt.  *I* don't understand people who drink to get drunk.  Seems crazy to me to drink to the point of not remembering what you did.  I was never into the bar scene, probably because my "medication" of choice was weed and you can't do that out in public LOL  I smoked pounds and pounds of pot from the age of 17 up until about 2 years ago.  I was trying to fill a huge void in my life (children that my ex said he wanted when we got married but then did a 180 and changed his mind).  Now that I have the life I always imagined, neither alcohol nor weed (or anything else) has any appeal to me.  I want to be clear headed and able to cherish and every moment of my life from now on!  (NOT Judging those of you who do enjoy your vino - I have plenty of friends who do, it's just not something I'm interested in for myself.)

• imageJanimal:

People keep posting FB messages complaining about how much money the president and members of Congress make.  I think these posts are completely ignorant.

Our leaders are supposed to be the brilliant people we trust with handling billions of dollars in revenue and debt.  We want people in those jobs who can handle that responsibility, and the right kind of brainy people for those jobs would make a crapload more money in the private sector.  Our problem is that we have elected morons into those jobs -- not the money they are paid.  And you couldn't pay me enough to take on the job of President.

And Ugg boots are ugly.

Triple thumbs up.

• It drives me crazy when people say things like 'I have an independent baby' and you look at it and its head is all flat on one side from being "independent"!  That seriously makes my heart hurt.  My friend said this in the past when our 4 year old boys were babies.  I was a breastfeeder and cuddled a lot.  She wasn't.  She was a podee bottle user and let baby lay on the floor until he threw a fit.  It is happening again with her 3 month old.  It makes me very sad.  I guess that is just different parenting styles in action.
  • imagealison2379:

Sometimes I feel guilty now for how much I think about how great a glass of wine sounds. I'm the same as you - having some wine or beer was a big part of my life before getting KU. And I still get very jealous watching other people get to have a drink! And then I feel like an alcoholic for focusing on that... :| I dream about the first glass of wine I will get to have after baby is here! For all I know, I won't have anything until I'm over the "holy cow, I have to take care of a baby 24/7 now?!" anxiety :)  I bought a bottle of NA wine a couple weeks ago, and it actually tastes like wine! It does the trick for the flavor/ambiance of having a glass of wine, so it will do..... I'm halfway dreading summer...I LOVE having a glass of wine out on the deck while sunning & reading a book! Lemonade just isn't the same....

*and now I hang my head in shame, too* 

• imageJanimal:

People keep posting FB messages complaining about how much money the president and members of Congress make.  I think these posts are completely ignorant.

And Ugg boots are ugly.

Janimal, you complete me.

Totally thinking the same things, with the exception of the JLo comment, haven't seen it.  

• imageUofMWolverines:

Here's mine:

People should not disseminate medical information on a pregnancy message board unless they actually know what they are talking about.  Similarly, women should not take medical guidance or advice from a pregnancy message board.  It's just not a good idea.

Lol, I was coming in here to say that. The BS in that shingles post was astounding! The ignorance!
  • imageJanimal:

And Ugg boots are ugly.

Yes....but have to tried them on?! I was so with you until I actually broke down and put a pair on now but the end of summer I can't wait for it to get cold so I can wear mine. lol!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • imageCate1234:

I think if you have to go through nine months of pregnancy and give birth, you should get the final say in the baby's name. 

I have seen several posts on the baby names board and heard from several people IRL say "SO insists that we call the baby X, but I don't really like it.  Really?  SO gets to pick a name you don't like by insisting?  If DH tried that, I would kick his ass.

I miss wine, too.

Haha, I love this. I have thought that same thing MANY times! Like some of them having DH DEMAND that if it's a boy it will be called _____. Such a joke.

• I'm totally annoyed by people guessing the sex of my baby. I know they are just excited but every time someone tells me what they think I'm having, I say, "Well, you've got a 50/50 shot of being right." It gets really old when particular people tell me that they've never been wrong before. I feel like, as soon as I announce what I really am having they'll all come out of the woodworks with "I told you so" and I'm not intersted. It's like being right is more exciting than the real news I'm sharing.

Not really a polite way to explain this to the guessers, though.

• imageSarahOrca:
    I find it strange/uncomfortable to see kids who walk, talk and have a mouthful of teeth (toddlers)...breastfeeding. 

Haha. Seriously. This creeps me out.

• imagecalliesmom6:
    imageJanimal:

And Ugg boots are ugly.

Yes....but have to tried them on?! I was so with you until I actually broke down and put a pair on now but the end of summer I can't wait for it to get cold so I can wear mine. lol!

Oh, they are totally ugly but they are life savers for Chicago winters. No other boot keeps my feet so warm.

I do think it is stupid when people wear them with skirts or in warm weather.

• I am annoyed by people who whine about pregnancy making them change their lives.  Pregnancy is a change...a big one..FOREVER. 

So what if you can't drink for 9 months or your belly is going to get big or you are going to have stretch marks. Or your vacation plans are boring.

We TTC for OVER a year, and if that means I have to stop doing a lot of things, or start doing some new ones, I'll do it. 

• I have another one.  I will teach my kids to NEVER start a fight.

But if someone starts one with them, they need to take.the.***.down.

"But Mom, I'll get in trouble at school" -- that's ok, you and me will be cool.

DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I always thought I would breastfeed for a year. But then I read about how allergy meds can dry you up and other things you can't do while breastfeeding (and I'm SO miserable without high powered anti-histamines.) I feel so selfish, and I do think I'll continue with my choice to breastfeed, but I can't help but be kind of annoyed that I still won't have my body to myself for a total of nearly 2 years. I feel like my selfishness makes me a bad mom, even though I'm sure I'm not alone.

Evidently the cool high school kids wear running shorts and Uggs, and it's the most fugly look ever. 

• imageSoon2BMrsSikes:
    I think UFC, boxing, any kind of fighting, etc is sick. I just don't understand why people enjoy watching someone get their a$$ kicked. I never understood those people who would start yelling "Fight, fight, fight!" and then a crowd would gather around the 2 people fighting. Why is this fun to watch?

I agree!  I thought it was funny when my DH and I went to a concert recently with an "older" crowd (Chris Cornell so pretty much everyone was at least late 30s) and two girls got in a fight in our row.  Everyone was yelling "sit down and knock it off"..."I paid a lot to see the show so shut up".  We're so old!   

• imageJanimal:

I have another one.  I will teach my kids to NEVER start a fight.

But if someone starts one with them, they need to take.the.***.down.

"But Mom, I'll get in trouble at school" -- that's ok, you and me will be cool.

A boy bit E at preschool. E rocked him in the face. The school called the others boys parents to pick him and wrote an "incident report" that the state requires about the biting. When I picked E up at the end of the day they didn't even mention he had hit the boy other than to say he "stood up for himself" but E was proud he had hit him and told me. I asked one of the room helpers later that week and she just giggled and said she "Hadn't seen it happen". I think being able to stand up for yourself is important.

• imageJanimal:

And Ugg boots are ugly.

She does look awesome on Idol though!

Ugg boots are super ugly and I own three pairs.  I think Tom's shoes are the next uggs- super ugly but wicked comfortable.  At least they support a good cause!

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP # 1 2/5/11 DD born September 2011
    BFP #2 12/21/13 CP 12/29/13
    BFP# 3 1/11/15 EDD 9/15/15
  • imagealison2379:

Haha!  I don't drink hardly ever.  I had a month where I drank quite a bit in college and after that, I was done.  I still drank some, like if we were at a party, BBQ, or going out or something.  I just don't care to drink that much.  I like the occasional margarita in the summer but other than that, I'd be fine without ever having another drink again.  Wouldn't bother me at all.

www.mvstephenson.wordpress.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageAF_EOD_wife:

I always thought I would breastfeed for a year. But then I read about how allergy meds can dry you up and other things you can't do while breastfeeding (and I'm SO miserable without high powered anti-histamines.) I feel so selfish, and I do think I'll continue with my choice to breastfeed, but I can't help but be kind of annoyed that I still won't have my body to myself for a total of nearly 2 years. I feel like my selfishness makes me a bad mom, even though I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm struggling with this too. After 26 years of having my body completely to myself with the ability to decide exactly what I want to do it/put in it, the adjustment to having another living being relying on me to take care of it through my body is just a little disconcerting. Pregnancy is not something I can opt of of, but breastfeeding isn't strictly required, so it looks very tempting to just skip it entirely and I do worry that this selfishness means I'm a bad mom.

It sucks a lot but at least you're not alone.

• Oh I love you all... can i just say AMEN to pretty much all of the above?

• aandgaandg member
    imagealison2379:

Right there with you! I miss my wine.

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealison2379:

Oooooh. This. I am trying not to even think about this summer when everyone else is hanging out with a beer or a glass of sangria... You can SO like alcohol without being close to an alcoholic.

• I totally judge pregnant women who smoke. My cousin smoked throughout her whole pregnancy using the excuse that, quitting smoking could cause stress to her and the baby.

OH YA, well her 2 year old son has been hospitalized for respiratory problems and Asthma. How's that stress now? 

And agree, toddlers who can choose which breast they want to drink from, are too old to be breastfeeding! 

Uggs are ugly but in Canadian winters, they keep my feet nice and toasty. I never wear them in the summer with skirts. That's stupid. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagealison2379:

Hell, I brew beer, wine, and mead.  It's a huge part of my identity (and will likely be changing careers to include it in the future) so I can definitely understand missing the enjoyment.  I'm actually about to brew a beer for a close friend's wedding, and it's really cognitively dissonant that I can't have a few beers like I normally do while I brew - it somehow makes the end product taste better.

One fun thing I'm doing though is making a baby mead.  You can age mead for many years, so every year on the baby's birthday my husband and I will split a bottle until he's old enough for a taste, a glass, and eventually his own bottle.

• I totally agree on the BFing thing. If the kid has more teeth than I do, its time to quit. I also feel my reasons for doing/not doing any particular test, scan, etc is mine. I think its crazy for someone to belittle or act like another is stupid for what they chose. I too, am tired of my mom continuously referring to the baby as a she. She doesn't know, I do not know, and do not want the baby called anything until we learn the gender. I hate when my FIL insists he's going to babysit when he won't get off his ass to come visit us NOW! I feel much better! Lol
  • imageMrsLoos:

The 20 week ultrasound is called an anatomy scan because they are looking at/measuring the babies anatomy (heart, kidney, etc.). The purpose of this ultrasound is not to find out the sex of the baby, it just so happens that they can tell the sex at this point. It drives me insane when people call it the "gender scan" or insinuate that the purpose of the u/s is to find out the sex of their baby. Yes, if our LO's cooperate we would like to know the sex of our babies, but I'm much more concerned about everything else they will be looking at during this u/s.

Yes

• 1. I can't think of Uggs without thinking of the girls walking around UC Davis wearing uggs with mini skirts and puffy vests over long sleeve tees in the dead of winter. We called them "eska-hoes."

2. I'm so glad that Taylor Swift will be performing on cruise ships by the time my kids are old enough to understand music.  She is the anti-feminist and I think she's a horrible role model for young girls.  Virtue is sitting by your phone every night waiting for a teenage boy to validate you?  Please.

3.  If my kid whines for it, he's not getting it, on principle.  Kids who whine bug the crap out of me.

• i think women who have never breastfed or never plan to breastfeed shouldn't really have an opinion on the matter, because if you haven't done it then you don't know what it entails and honestly then you have no idea what you are talking about.
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Totally!  I was going to say people who ask for medical advice on these boards.   No one can diagnose you over the internet or give you medical advice not really knowing your situation.  That's why you have a doctor, don't hesitate to ask questions! 

It 

• imageAF_EOD_wife:

I feel so selfish, and I do think I'll continue with my choice to breastfeed, but I can't help but be kind of annoyed that I still won't have my body to myself for a total of nearly 2 years. .

Maybe you'll get lucky and be like my friend whos DS refused to nurse after 6 months! Lol.

I'm not sure about my UO today...Oh wait!  I don't like travel systems, you've got 85ft of stroller for a 9lb baby. And we used to have Moms come it and knock all kinds of crap off of our displays because they're SUV sized strollers were too masssive to navigate the boutique I worked at. I think that you can find something a little less enormous...

BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"