Health & Exercise
Options

Walking a 10K at 28 weeks?

I normally walk about 3-4 miles on a regular basis - about 3x per week with shorter walks or other exercise on other days, and I am currently 22 weeks. I have walked 4 miIes per day, most days, for several years. Is it too much of a stretch to plan on walking a 10K (about 6 miles) with a friend around week 28? I haven't had any complications with my pregnancy so far, and if there is anything that would complicate it between now and then I would of course take that into consideration. Also, the course I would be walking is has regular aid stations, we're not going for time, and I could stop at any point and tell my husband to come pick me up. What do you think?

Re: Walking a 10K at 28 weeks?

• Options

You'll probably be fine, especially since you're already walking.  I did long walks almost until the very end. 

• Options

Personally, I'd lean the other direction and not do it.  I am a decent runner, and when that got to be akward around 6 months, I switched to walking.  For me, 5 miles proved to be a hugely taxing event.  So, if you go, pay attention to how you really feel and have an out if you can.  Hopefully the weather won't be too hot!

Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I ran 6 miles (10K) the evening before I had DD at exactly 40 weeks with no problem. Walking at 28 weeks should be perfectly fine, especially since you are already walking and don't have any issues. I also ran a full marathon at 25 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am still running 3-4 mile a couple times a week with no problems, I don't see why you couldn't walk 6 miles at 28 weeks, especially if you are already walking longer distances.

Just make sure you stretch, stay hydrated and listen to your body.

Have fun!

• Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options

if you've been fine thus far, i'd think you'd be okay...just take it easy and listen to your body and definitely stay really hydrated.  i walked a lot throughout my pregnancy, and i'm convinced that was my secret to not swelling all summer :-)

www.mommieswithoutmommies.com

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"