Birth Stories

Garrett Jacob: repeat c/s birth 4/3/11 (long)

I have to type this quick- I'm still learning to balance my time between 2 kids.

My l&d w/ DD was hell- water broke, never went into labor and was given pitocen, after 23 hrs of contractions from HELL b/c I had TWO epi's that failed AND I had failed to progress beyond 6cm .... I had a c-section.

Per OB's rec and me not wanting to go through that again we opted for a repeat c/s w/ DS. It was a completely different experience both good and bad. Prior to the c/s it was very relaxing- I had slight anxiety about "surgery" again but overall felt good. 

I opted to walk to the OR- which was a much longer walk than I expected. Walking into the OR opposed to already being numb on a bed was pretty scary. There were a few people in there when I got there but not too many. They got me up onto the table and I did a quick scan of the room. To my left was a lady with her back to me, facing a long line of surgical trays stacked with huge surgical tools which she was counting. Slowly more and more people started to trickle into the room.

Behind me was the anesthesiologist who met with me prior, a younger girl who was either new or a student, and to my right was another anesthesiologist. I felt like his job was to keep me relaxed while they did my spinal. I have to mention that he placed his left hand on my right shoulder and kept it there the entire time. I found this very comforting. 

So they attempt my spinal, "the first shot is to numb you" I'm told. Silence. She missed. I could feel her trying to force it into my back which is a feeling I cannot describe. The guy whom I "thought" was doing my spinal tells her what she needs to do and they try again.. and again.. and again. FIVE TIMES! Five shots to numb me, and five attempts to get the spinal in. With each attempt I started to get scared that it wouldn't work or even worse- it wouldn't work properly.

They have me lay down quickly b/c it's supposed to take 30 seconds to a minute and a half to kick in. Mine- not so much. They had to tilt the bed to try to get it to take effect. Once they felt I was numb the curtains went up and DH was brought in. He could tell I was worked up which neither one of us expected. Again, we figured since we've already been down this road it was going to be a breeze.

They start the surgery and I notice when they cut me open I felt it a little on the right side. I groan but try to relax. As the surgery progresses we learned quickly that the spinal was a joke. I was groaning and whining at first from how much of the pressure I felt this time. I remember the pressure from DD- this was not the same. DS was born and I cried- so exciting. He weight 8lbs 4oz and was 21.5 inches long. It was 10:07am. I remember feeling this overwhelming sense of "thank goodness that's over with!"

With DD I had an anxiety attack mid c/s and they had to drug me so I didn't remember most of her birth. I was so proud that despite all the pain/pressure I kept my cool and didn't need drugged again. I can see the flash of my camera and hear the nurses across the room taking photos. That's when it hit me. They were starting to put me back together and I was feeling it MORE. I'm groaning louder, whining and then nearly screaming in pain. Yes, PAIN- not just pressure. The anesthesiologist scrambles to inject more drugs into my IV. It helps a bit but then gets worse again. At one point they had to completely stop the surgery b/c I could feel it. Obviously this was my worst fear but I survived. It's been a little over a week and we've been blessed with another perfect angel. 

DS has been sleeping fantastic for us. He has given me an average of 4 hrs of straight uninterrupted sleep nightly after his first night feeding. I actually woke up more to pee a million times when pregnant than I am with him. DD was the same way, she slept great from the start.

We have not heard him full blown cry since he was born. He lets out a little "eeeeeh" when he is upset but that's the extent of it. He is having a little trouble with gas but he is a tough little guy.

I swelled up and retained a ton of water before leaving the hospital. So I actually weighed more LEAVING than I did checking in. Since coming home 1 week ago today I've dropped 19lbs and I'm only 3lbs away from where I was when I got pregnant. My skin elasticity however- has not bounced back as quickly but we'll get there.

Also, I'm having back pain from the spinal. It shoots up my back, into the back of my neck and head, and sometimes into my chest. I have no choice but to freeze up and stop what I'm doing but also try my best to change positions to relieve it.

After two bad experiences with childbirth I honestly don't know if we'll have more. I doubt it but I'm ok with that.  I'm grateful for two happy healthy babies. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Garrett Jacob: repeat c/s birth 4/3/11 (long)

• Wow, I'm sorry that was not a smooth process for you, it sounds like you might have some drug resistance?  Please know that I mean this with no judgement whatsoever but you may consider having a few sessions with  a therapist to process through your section.  it would be alarming for anyone :)

Glad you are all doing well and sounds like your son has integrated into your family with ease :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"