3rd Trimester

Desitin v/s Aquaphor v/s Butt Paste... Same?

Morning 3rd Tri Girls. Quick question from a (clearly) first time Mom: I've been told Aquaphor is a must have as well as Butt Paste.  I was also given some Desitin and told it was a must have. So, are they all for the same purpose? To treat diaper rash?  Or are they different? I'm in 'over-prepare' mode and my changing table kit looks like some crazy 'Price is Right'  product placement game. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom here.

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Desitin v/s Aquaphor v/s Butt Paste... Same?

• Aquaphor is THE best cream for clearing up a diaper rash and fast. I stopped buying every other brand/product once I discovered it's magical powers!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't use Aquaphor directly on a diaper rash, per my dermatologists recommendation.   Aquaphor is a petro based product and diaper rashes need to breathe in order to heal.  Instead, I like to slather on the Desitin (zinc oxide is the best ingredient to heal a diaper rash) and then put Aquaphor OVER that to create a barrier from the moisture in the diaper. 

So, no, they do not serve the same purpose, IMO.  Butt Paste/Desitin are similar products, but I recommend Desitin Maximum Strength because it has the highest concentration of zinc oxide than most creams I've seen. Also, Triple Paste is a good one to have on hand. I was never a fan of the Butt Paste.

• Loading the player...
  • I think it depends on the baby.  Desitin does nothing for DD's diaper rash- although A&D heals it right up.  We have butt paste but I do not think we ever used it on her.  Never used Aquaphor either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Butt paste and destitin are similar in that they are zinc based for putting directly on diaper rashes. We have the giant tub of butt paste for every night after the bath ( for the longest stretch DD would possibly sit in a wet dipe). I use desitin in the diaper bag for rashes that don't go away right away too as it seems to treat them more effectively. We hardly get them though thankfully! Aquaphore is great for any chapped skin and good to have on hand. DD had a rash around her mouth when teething a lot with her 1year old molars and we used aquaphore to protect her skin from moisture.
  • I agree, it depends on the baby's skin and how severe their diaper rashes get, my DD did not get diaper rashes too much, I can't even say we ever had one that was considered severe, but some babies skin are much more sensitive and get them all the time.  When my DD was born, my friend, who did not even have any children, would go on and on about how I just HAD to use A&D, she even embarrassed me at the hospital by going and hounding the nurses for a sample of A&D and the nurses just said, um we normally don't put anything on the babies at this point, especially when they are not irritated??  I will say that I choose the Butt paste because I looked at the zink oxide content and the butt paste had the highest % so I just went with it.  You need to just take advantage of all the "samples" you get from various places and try them all and decide once you need it!
  • Depends on the kid. Mine has gone through rashes where nothing but Triple Paste would touch it, and then times where a thin layer of Aquaphor helped. I didn't like Buttpaste too much, but it works in a pinch. 
  • I like ButtPaste and also Publix brand diaper cream.
  • imageLisa Frank:

I don't use Aquaphor directly on a diaper rash, per my dermatologists recommendation.   Aquaphor is a petro based product and diaper rashes need to breathe in order to heal.  Instead, I like to slather on the Desitin (zinc oxide is the best ingredient to heal a diaper rash) and then put Aquaphor OVER that to create a barrier from the moisture in the diaper. 

So, no, they do not serve the same purpose, IMO.  Butt Paste/Desitin are similar products, but I recommend Desitin Maximum Strength because it has the highest concentration of zinc oxide than most creams I've seen. Also, Triple Paste is a good one to have on hand. I was never a fan of the Butt Paste.

This exactly.  I do use aquaphor for everything else though.It really helps DS's chapped cheeks, lips, and skin in the winter and is a fabulous cream to have on hand.   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto others--totally depends on the kid. Desitin never did anything for her, but butt paste clears up any irritation immediately.
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Ditto pp. Desitin and Butt paste worked fine for DD, Aquaphor not so much.
    2 girls and a dog
  • As someone who's never changed a diaper...everyone at work gave me tubes of something called Pinxav. Anyone know if this works? They all swore by it.

https://www.pinxav.com/

• it depends on the rash really.  We typically use butt paste, destin if it needs moisturizing, and aquaphor if it is really severe (aquaphor is a pain to get off!)
  • All of those products only made my babies uncomfortable, so the thing I turn to that works every time is good old Vaseline.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aquaphor was good for little dry skin issues not diaper rash, but use balmex for diaper rash works wonders for us. Have also heard good things about butt paste and desitin.
  • My sister owns a full daycare facility, but before then she worked in an infant room for 8 years.  She swears vaseline is the way to go.  I had never thought of it!  I had tons of desitin ready to go, but she suggested vasoline.  She said desitin burns most of the time.  She has changed more diapers than most of us will in a lifetime, so for now, I trust her judgement and will try vasoline first.
  • I love Desitin for diaper rash - not the creamy one either...the original. I do use Aquaphor on dry skin though!
  • imageJMULovin:
    My sister owns a full daycare facility, but before then she worked in an infant room for 8 years.  She swears vaseline is the way to go.  I had never thought of it!  I had tons of desitin ready to go, but she suggested vasoline.  She said desitin burns most of the time.  She has changed more diapers than most of us will in a lifetime, so for now, I trust her judgement and will try vasoline first.

Vaseline, like Aquaphor acts as a sealant.  It's petroleum.  It will not allow a diaper rash to breathe, and in my experience makes it much, much worse.  I'd actually be pissed off if I found out my daycare person was using Vaseline on my sons diaper rashes, but try it and see if it works out for you.

• butt paste was a waste of money. doesn't clear up anything! i had that in my diaper bag while i was in disney and because of the heat, DS was sweating a lot down there and had a rash and it just got worse with that. i use desitin but i'm also going to be using a&d. i don't know if that's the same stuff basically as aquaphor but we got aquaphor to use with an antibiotic when DS had some weird rash on his tuckus. 
  • my DS had severe diaper rash about a week after he was born.  i tried everything except triple paste (i had never heard of it) and nothing worked.  it got so bad that i had to take him to the doctor and they had to prescribe something.  the doctor recommended triple paste.  it's the only diaper rash cream that worked and i still use it because DS isn't potty trained yet.  i use aquaphor as a barrier cream and it is great!  i already have a new tub of triple paste for when DD arrives.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLisa Frank:

imageJMULovin:
    My sister owns a full daycare facility, but before then she worked in an infant room for 8 years.  She swears vaseline is the way to go.  I had never thought of it!  I had tons of desitin ready to go, but she suggested vasoline.  She said desitin burns most of the time.  She has changed more diapers than most of us will in a lifetime, so for now, I trust her judgement and will try vasoline first.

Vaseline, like Aquaphor acts as a sealant.  It's petroleum.  It will not allow a diaper rash to breathe, and in my experience makes it much, much worse.  I'd actually be pissed off if I found out my daycare person was using Vaseline on my sons diaper rashes, but try it and see if it works out for you.

My fault, she said it helps prevent diaper rash when used in moderation.  She said to use it to hopefully avoid diaper rash and have to use the desitin that burns.  I just did not understand what she meant as I am quite overwhelmed with all of this new stuff and expecting 2 babies.  It sounds like Vaseline would only make it worse if the baby already has diaper rash, so I definitely won't use that to make it go away.

• This product is the BEST! We use it for diaper rash and it clears up in an instant. We also use it on her eczema, DHs sunburns (bc he NEVER uses sunscreen) and another "dry" patches we deal with.
  • We used aquaphor as a preventative and have never ever bought any diaper rash cream.  Seriously.  The only time DS ever got a diaper rash was when he cut his eye-teeth, and we ended up with something from the doctor for that.  We love aquaphor.  

I think I remember that you aren't supposed to use zinc oxide on babies until a certain age... can't remember, but you may want to ask (and organize that changing table accordingly :)

Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"