Birth Stories
Options

Charlotte Claire - A 3rd c-section story

I couldn't sleep the night before my scheduled c-section.  Not because of anxiety, fear or anticipation...no, it was because the DFW area was having an ice storm and it was sleeting with THUNDER all night long.  North Texas doesn't have much freezing weather, a few times each winter, but never in the 32 years I've lived here was there thunder with an ice/snow storm.  The sleet beat against our north facing windows all night long and when I was able to get some rest it was only in between thunder strikes.

I woke up an hour before my alarm and gave in to waking up for the day. My older 2 boys were staying with my ex-husband, so for a change, I had a lazy time getting ready.  I took a long warm bath, aware that it would be the last one for several weeks.  My husband and I got everything ready and packed into the car and were headed out to the hospital for our delivery. We opened the garage door to see all of the white on the yards and houses.  For me, this was such a treat to see...until I remembered it was ice underneath and we were going to have to drive on it for 30 miles to get to the hospital. We took it slow and only slid at the stop light as we left our neighborhood.  We videoed the ride to the hospital and all the accidents and disabled cars along the roadside on the way.  I was SOOO hungry and thirsty.  My husband ate breakfast in the car on the way and apologized for making me smell the food and watch him eat.  My OB's nurse called me on my cell phone as we were driving and was making sure we were on our way and to let me know that the doctor was having trouble getting out of his neighborhood because it had very steep hills.  We made it to the hospital safely, right on time.

We went to L&D and were directed to our room.  I took one final pregnancy photo and then changed into the hospital gown. Bracelets were given, they shaved me :(, they did blood labs twice (my 1st draw mysteriously could not be found), my IV was started and then we waited to see if my doctor would make it to the hospital.  I was assured the c-section was going to happen even if the on-call doctor had to do it, but I was holding hope that MY doctor would arrive.

My doctor got to the hospital 10 minutes prior to my surgery time and I was wheeled into the OR. I was leaned over for my spinal anesthetic but they had to attempt 3 times before it worked (the same thing happened during my previous c-section). I'm not gonna lie...I was not pleased by the pain I was in during the tries for the spinal and it was very cold in OR but I just kept telling myself that I would be numb soon! The nurse moved me fast to lay down when the spinal took effect and I remembered the warm sensation running down my legs and becoming more profound. The anesthesiologist layed a warm air curtain over my upper chest and I was very comfortable.  My husband came in and sat next to me at my head.  I could see my reflection in the arm of the overhead light and was kind of excited that I might get to see my surgery, even if it would be a little blurry. My hopes were dashed when the blue curtain went up and blocked my view.

The pushed on my belly and asked if I could feel anything a few times and while I could tell my body was moving, I didn't have any sensation to the the touch.  A few minutes later I could hear suction, I told my husband that our daughter would be here soon.  The nurse said to expect a lot of pressure on my chest as she pushed the baby out.  It felt like it took my breath away, and then I heard Charlotte cry.

My husband looked up and was surprised. He thought it happened so quick and didn't know he should have been watching for her because he was looking at me if I was ok. I watched him in awe of his first child and taking photos. I loved seeing him with her except it was VERY hard for me to stay awake.  I had to really fight the urge to sleep as the doctor was stitching me back up.

Charlotte weighed 6lbs 8oz and was 20inches long.  Our beautiful girl had a safe and relatively easy birth on a crazy weather day that we'll always remember.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Charlotte Claire - A 3rd c-section story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"