Multiples

Do you carry them 2 at a time?

F/u to PeaKay's post about falling...My boys are just getting old enough to sit on my hip when I walk around with them.  But, I still can't get up the nerve to carry them 2 at a time. 

Will I ever or is it wise just to make the multiple trips EVERYWHERE we go?

Re: Do you carry them 2 at a time?

• I carry mine two at a time.  I started doing it when they were about nine months old or so and have ever since.  They're starting to get a bit heavy though.
  • I carry two at a time.  Usually one is facing out and the other on my hip.  Although I do this, I'm not really sure that it's safe...definitely second guessing it after reading Pam's post. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • This seems to be something people stress over. I never even thought about it - I've carried mine two at a time since the beginning. My problem now is that they are so heavy that I'm having some back pain, so I try to avoid it whenever possible.

I just scoop one up, then wrap my arm under the other and scoop them, too. Often it ends up that one is facing in and one out, but we manage it.
  • Their last check up they weighed in a little over 24 lbs each.  I do carry them though - this is my work out.
  • I carry both of mine at the same time when I'm home alone and it's normally up and down the stairs.  I've never really thought twice about it and I'm incredibly clumsy.  I'm just really, really careful when I'm carrying them both.

I've always carried them together.  It's kind of tough right now because they're not quite old enough to sit on my hip, but I still manage.  Often I have one facing me and one facing out, just because that's how I end up picking them up.

• I do carry them 2 at a time, and have since they were itty bitty. One day when I was with them in the NICU our nurse walked out of the room when it was time for me to put them back in their crib! She wanted to make sure I was comfortable handling both of them at the same time. It was a mean test, but it worked ;)

My husband won't carry them both at the same time - he's too afraid he'll drop them. When he sees me carrying them both he calls it "doing the super mom"

• I carry them two at a time, but only to go down stairs, otherwise they walk now.  They are heavy and I have had back issues.  We have started working with them on how to go down stairs, so hopefully I won't have to much longer.

Side story: when the girls were one day old, my mother was passing on her mother-of-twin knowledge and was showing DH and I different ways to pick up and carry two babies, and one of the nurses came in and when she saw what was going on, she asked if she could stay and learn it too.  Well she did, and then about an hour later two more nurses came by and asked my mother to teach them too.  My mother practically ran a continuing medical education class on picking up multiple infants for the nursing staff while visiting me.   

• I still carry them. Molly is pushing 25 pounds and Lilly is close behind. I probably shouldn't carry them at the same time, but sometimes you have to!
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Cands - can you give us your mom's tips on carrying both? She sounds like a great resource for you!
  • Right now I do, but they're not that heavy yet. ?I'll put one on the couch beside me and one on my lap. Then I'll do a double scoop, get them adjusted on my chest then stand up.

hmmm...double scoop...now I want ice cream :)

• yea, sometimes you just don't have a choice.

• I've been carrying mine at the same time since they were about 1 mo old. It's really not that hard, although now that they are heavier I actually make a grunting noise like a weight lifter when I go from a sitting position to standing while holding both lol.
  • honestly i have never even tried..i used to hold them at the same time..but have never tried to carry...we do have 2 levels..but i guess my house is just not that big that i mind going up/down stairs twice. I would be so so so so terrified of falling..im clumsy, and i have 2 dogs that like to get right under foot..

i mean, i fell twice when they were in my belly because of the weight shift..i can't imagine with 2 squirmy babies!?

Ron and Nora married 6.3.06 21 cycles, 1 m/c, 4 rounds clomid, 1 round gonal f and 3 IUI anovulatory cycles, LPD
    Joey, Ronnie, and Audrey,
    my awesome IUI 30 week twins, and my surprise miracle Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LOVE my SAIF ladies :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers My Blog!
  • I've always carried mine two at a time.  It's getting harder now but I still do it.  I carry them in and out of the car that way, up and down stairs that way, and even sometimes into places when we are out and about.  Probably not the safest but sometimes there aren't any other options.  I find that I fall more when I don't have them...maybe I concentrate more on stabilizing or something.

I like to pick them up and dance around our playroom together...they think it's fun plus I'm getting a good workout.  I always start to do lunges and squats when we do this!   

• I have carried them together at the same time since they were like a week old. I just scoop them both up when they are lying side by side. They both end up on each shoulder. i never thought twice about it... They are still tiny though. I think it will be easier when they can hold their heads better.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Most of the time, I carry them one at a time.  But, since they've gotten better head control I find it a little easier to do so.  Most often, I carry them downstairs together in the morning.
    Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • What about when scooping them out of their car seats and you are taking them into their child care centers? That is what I am worried about. I am not going to leave one in the car while I take the other inside, but our carseats we are getting are also pretty heavy and I am not sure it lifting two of them at the same time will be much of an option. Any tips there?

M E L I S S A My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• i carry them two at a time all the time. they have assigned seats in the car, so it easier for me to take two out at once. the heaviest one gets to come out solo and other two come out together.
  • Hell no, they break my back. Luke alone weighs 21 pounds. Alex is 17 1/2. When they were really little I did sometimes, but I was always to nervous one would slip out of my hands.
    Born at 36 Weeks, 2 Days

Luke 6.12 lbs, Alexandra 5.15 lbs.

April 5th, 2007-Isabella and Robert. We miss you. Born at 22 weeks, 2 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"