Eco-Friendly Family
Options

EF silver polisher?

Re: EF silver polisher?

• Options
    There's something you can do with aluminum foil, salt, and hot water, but I always have to google it to get the steps.  It works pretty well.  If it's heirloom silver, though, you might want to be careful with that, as the salt water can be corrosive (not that the chemicals aren't).
  • Options
    thanks... off to google.  No, this is "new"... well, I got it as a gift new a few years ago (glass serving platter that rests on a silver stand) and NEVER took it out of the box.  Well, I just did and the silver stand is tarnished, LOL!  I used my jewelry rag to get most of it off, but it needs to be cleaned for real and I don't want to buy a chemical-ridden silver polish ya know?  thanks! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did the salt/hot water/foil thing to clean silver, when I was about 32 weeks preggo! ?

It works really well but it does still have that "perm" smell so make sure you ventilate. ?And wear gloves. ?The salt eats up your hands after a while. ?

If you have things like candlesticks or silverware that have a lot of crevices where you can't scrub the tarnish out- make a salt paste, coat the item, then wrap it in foil and let it sit for about 30 min. ?Then remove and scrub and it should help break it up a bit.

Oh, and change the foil that you line your sink with frequently, every 2 items or so. ?It gets less effective if the foil isn't fresh. ?not sure why...?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    great!  thanks so much!
  • Options
    Toothpaste.  You can use any brand (whitening, tartar, etc).  That's all I've ever used.
  • Options
    Ditto sweetfroggy. I saw them use toothpaste on Queer Eye and it looked great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"