Pennsylvania Babies

How does this feeding schedule sound?

I'm pretty much done BF'ing.  I've only been doing it for the first feeding of the am for the past few days.  We're switching Sophia over to Enfamil Lipil and I'm trying to get somewhat of a schedule established.  I fed her 6 oz. at 9:30 am and she basically gulped it down.  I just gave her 4 oz. at 12:30.  Now, I go to work at 2:30 and DH is insistent that I make sure she is ready for a feeding when he gets home (2:30).  Since she just had 4 oz., I'm thinking he could give her 4 oz. at 2:30, then another 4 oz. at 5:30, then her full 6 oz. bottle at 8 pm then put her to bed.  That would 24 oz. for today total.  I read that is in the normal range for a 3 month old.  Should I really be worrying about a schedule and do you think it's ok to keep feeding her "on demand"?  Can you over fed a baby or will they stop when they're full?  I don't want her to get an upset tummy.

Thanks!

Re: How does this feeding schedule sound?

• Adam was a horrible spitter, so he spit up whatever he didn't need. Most babies will do that - spit up if you've given them more than they can hold. I wouldn't worry too much about making a schedule at this point because you'll settle into one. We went (and almost still go) on a 3 hour schedule. I'd say if she seems hungry inside of three hours, then maybe she needs more than you gave her.
  • I wouldn't worry about trying to keep her on a strict schedule.  We go on the 3 hour schedule, but if she acts hungry before that, we'll feed her.  She's been pretty much like clock-work though with the 3 hours.  Now at daycare, they'll feed her after 2-1/2 hours or sometimes less, if she's fussy and nothing else works.  Most times then she'll take a good nap right through the next 3 hour mark.  She adapts.  Just when you get into a routine, she'll hit a growth spurt... just follow her cues, she'll adjust the schedule for you.  Does your DH have to feed her right away?  That might make things more difficult for you, to try to keep to a time in the middle of the day like that.

• Loading the player...
  • A 3 hr schedule sounds about right.  Our boys eat every 4 hours, but it's pretty much when they say so.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"