Adoption

Adoption movies

DH and I have been working on building up our selection of 'adoption friendly' entertainment, books, movies, etc so that there will always be an open attitude in our home. 
So far we have "Bella" which is AMAZING!!!!!! and a variety of disney ones for kids, like "Meet the Robinsons" etc....and by the way, did you know that Bam Bam from the flintsones was adopted?  My DH is a huge fan and I bought him a collector set with the whole series.  We were floored when we saw Betty and Barney crying and wishing for a baby for ages and then finding one on their doorstep and having to put him in foster care while they had their character references etc...it was pretty incredible...for a cartoon...lol
Any other suggestions?

Re: Adoption movies

• we have juno & our agency had us watch immediate family (80s)
  • One of my faves is actually not a kid movie per se, but Diane Keaton in Baby Boom is great. And of course, the quintessential Annie!! Both good pics, but again, Annie will be popular for 6-12 year olds and Baby Boom is more of a romance, but both have adoption plots
  • Loading the player...
  • Miss Spider!

Not only is she adopted, three of her kids are as well.  =)

• I can't think of any off the top of my head, but tapestrybooks.com (I think that's it, though you might want to double check in a Google search) has a bunch of book ideas! 

imageRanita:
    and then finding one on their doorstep and having to put him in foster care while they had their character references

Just a thought on this one... this might actually send a hurtful message to an adoptee and might present an unrealistic view of adoption w/ the whole "baby on a doorstep" thing.  Of course, I wouldn't keep DD from watching the Flintstones or anything, but just saying this storyline might not come off great to the adoptee, especially if they struggle w/ feeling abandoned.

I had sort of a *duh* moment a few months back with this kind of thing -- borrowed a book from the library to read to DD that I remember my mom reading to me.  It's called something like "I Want Another Mother" and in the book the kid is saying to the mom that he wants another mother.  He means another kiss/hug, and she thinks he means literally a different mother.  It's a "funny" cute kid book, but I won't likely be reading that to DD anymore... just gave me the yuckies all over thinking about what implications she might read into that!

• I do understand the 'heads up' about the left on a doorstep part of the story, except that in the case of this particular episode, Bam Bam is an orphan without living parents as opposed to being abandoned.  Just giving context.  You're so right, though, it's amazing how differently I view certain things now from the eyes of a PAP.  There was another movie I was watching recently in which the orphaned child in the story was greatly mistreated and made to feel that she was a sub-standard citizen because her parents had passed away of a horrible disease when she was young.  It was an old movie set many decades ago and it just struck me how much perspectives on certain things have changed and how much words and opinions that are founded in arrogance can damage.  Just my ponderings for the day...
  • You really got DH and me thinking about this. If you google adoption in movies you'll come across a ton (Elf, Stuart Little, Star Wars, Superman, Anne of Green Gables, etc.) and also info on the ones with not such a great message. I hadn't thought about the message Stuart Little could send when his birthparents come and his adoptive parents let him go back to them without a fight, complaint, etc. It gave me a new way of looking at it but I still found another list of great ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"