Success after IF
Options

Can your toddler carry a tune?

ESTH2000's post below of her daughter singing happy birthday made me wonder...can most toddler's carry a tune by this age?  If not, can we assume they will never be able to?

DH & I are both musicians (I'm specifically a singer), as is the donor we used, and Cal does not sing in tune at all.  It's mostly monotone with some inflection, but not melodic at all.  He does have an incredible sense of rhythm (I swear he's going to be a drummer), but so far, no sign of singing ability.  Perhaps it'll come a little later???

I know there are worse things, but I must admit I hope he doesn't turn out to be tone deaf!

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can your toddler carry a tune?

• Options
    James doesn't sing at all yet, apart from inserting words into songs we sing with him when we stop. Neither DH nor I is musically talented, though. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Like lots of things, this is something that develops over time. Think about it this way, your talent has grown since you were that age, with practices and classes, thus his most likely will too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    From what I've seen, girls are way better than boys at this age.  Jude sings all the time... but it's completely offkey and I have no clue what "song" he is singing.  There are girls close to his age that can totally somewhat carry a tune.  LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

yup. she's been blowing me away for a long time - she MIGHT even have perfect pitch (I kinda do) - she mimicks songs she hears in the same key as she heard them. 

I will say that we CONSTANTLY listen to music, and always have. But it's only until the past 6 months that it's really "bloomed" for her (she just turned 3) so I'd give him a little more time ;-)

I've made up some "exercises" to get her to listen to things like tones, instruments, melodies, etc. that we work on sometimes. She seems to really be drawn to phonetic learning, too. 

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Options

imagekittylove:
    Like lots of things, this is something that develops over time. Think about it this way, your talent has grown since you were that age, with practices and classes, thus his most likely will too.

Actually, I was singing (in tune) at a very young age...so, I think musical ability is innate...yes, it can be improved upon with experience and lessons, but there is definitely a large part of it that is inherent.

I was just wondering if singing ability is something that shows itself by this age or not.

LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

• Options
    kegkeg member
    I have one DD that seems to be able to pretty well so far and one DD that really doesn't at this point (however, she just started singing recently).  DH can sing and me, well, not so much.   
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options

K sings all the time. She has a few songs in her repertoire and you can tell what she's singing even if she doesn't know all the words (right tone, right rhythm, etc). I have no idea if that's normal or not.

• Options
    imageDavezWife:

yup. she's been blowing me away for a long time - she MIGHT even have perfect pitch (I kinda do) - she mimicks songs she hears in the same key as she heard them. 

I will say that we CONSTANTLY listen to music, and always have. But it's only until the past 6 months that it's really "bloomed" for her (she just turned 3) so I'd give him a little more time ;-)

I've made up some "exercises" to get her to listen to things like tones, instruments, melodies, etc. that we work on sometimes. She seems to really be drawn to phonetic learning, too. 

cool.  we listen to and/or sing music all the time as well...DH plays his trumpet, flugelhorn, and guitar, I play piano, and we both sing...cal has a guitar, drums, and many other musical instruments...he's VERY interested in music & instruments.  i'll have to think about exercises...

good to know that we have a little time before i can expect him to bloom!

btw, i read recently about how you were a concert pianist...my degree is in vocal performance and i was a (classical) piano minor!

Life is beautiful!

• Options
    Ha, I was wondering the same thing.  I have tapes of me singing all the songs from Annie at age 3, and perfoming as Snow White songs in my preschool performing debut of the show.  All the tunes are recognizable and I am in tune. My daughter can also sing all these songs, she loves to sing the songs from Les Mis.  But none of the tunes are really recognizable or does she seem to be able to carry a tune. I love to sing and grew up performing, so it will be sad if I wont be able to watch her do the same.  I still love her version of Castle on a Cloud though.
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • Options
    CMM05CMM05 member

The only songs Connor sings are the ABC's, Itsy-Bitsy Spider, Twinkle, Twinkle, etc.

My close friend's daughter (same age as Connor.....3.5....) sings Justin Bieber songs...Lol!

Pretty sure Connor is not going to be very musical/theatrical, but I guess time will tell ;)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH and I are quite possible the worst singers alive.  Katie likes to sing but can't quite carry a tune : )  Then again Happy Birthday sounds like "Happy Dirt Day to Katie", Happy Dirt Day to you Stick out tongue
  • Options

DD has been singing in tune for a long time now. I can't even remember when it actually started, would have to go back to some videos. It all started with twinkle twinkle little start and then moon moon moon. It always amazed me how she could follow a tune and dancing doesn't fall far behind. I have to admit it always made me wonder if this was some special skill she had but I have no idea what normal is.

She also loves to play with musical instruments. She gets an instrument and hands everyone else in the house another to form band. She has a piano, drum set and a bunch of others from melissa and doug.

I will say we listen to music a lot! Reading and listening to music are the main thing in our house. Even if the TV is on, its usually Laurie Berkner or a show with music.

I used to sing in the glee club but I don't consider myself a great singer. lol Lately I have been noticing that she will take a song and make up her own words..I was even going to page you one day about DD because I know you are a musically trained and wanted to know if you thought this was something special. Like should I encourage her or get her into some kind of special music class but then I told myself who was I kidding..probably most kids go through the same thing...so what do you think?

As for Cal, I have seen those drummer boy videos so there is no doubt in my mind he is musically inclined...as some posted ..it seems boys get there later than girls..so I will hold on to hoping Cal will because I know it means so much to you too!!!

• Options
    imageESTH2000:

Like should I encourage her or get her into some kind of special music class but then I told myself who was I kidding..probably most kids go through the same thing...so what do you think?

She may very well have a special talent (I obviously don't know what is the "norm," hence this post!), but I would not encourage special classes at her age, or anytime soon.  I did not start piano lessons until I was 8 and my first regular voice lessons (I'd had a handful at summer music camps in my teens) weren't until college,(yet I was accepted as a voice major!).  I think too much training at a young age can be a bad thing...I think letting a talent develop naturally while the child is developing (particularly when it comes to singing, b/c the vocal chords are muscular and you don't want to mess with them or you could do permanent damage) is ideal.  I feel very strongly about this! 

Life is beautiful!

• Options
    imageSeaSoul:
    imageESTH2000:

Like should I encourage her or get her into some kind of special music class but then I told myself who was I kidding..probably most kids go through the same thing...so what do you think?

She may very well have a special talent (I obviously don't know what is the "norm," hence this post!), but I would not encourage special classes at her age, or anytime soon.  I did not start piano lessons until I was 8 and my first regular voice lessons (I'd had a handful at summer music camps in my teens) weren't until college,(yet I was accepted as a voice major!).  I think too much training at a young age can be a bad thing...I think letting a talent develop naturally while the child is developing (particularly when it comes to singing, b/c the vocal chords are muscular and you don't want to mess with them or you could do permanent damage) is ideal.  I feel very strongly about this! 

Thank you for your feedback. It is the same thing a music teacher told us when we wondered about this and mentioned it to him too. He has played at both of Bella's birthdays and always commented on how "musical' she was...all she wanted to do was string the chords of his guitar..it was so cute...we jokingly asked him about getting her classes and he said no..not this young..we should wait till much later.....You make some excellent points and I totally agree...as always! Wink

• Options
    Robbie sings all the time, and while he can carry a tune sometimes the words are a little messed up.  One note - if I hear "Farmer in the Dell" one more time I might have to be committed. :)
    TTC since 10/06 - Went to RE after 6 months of TTC due to AMA -Diagnosed with MIF 5/07, only option IVF with ICSI - IVF #1 cancelled due to cyst, never got to ER - IVF #1.5 10/07, BFP - Robert Andrew born 7/30/08 Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    im pretty sure that is an ability that comes later....both DH and i are very musical (he went to berklee, and has the most amazing ear i have ever heard), i am a singer...as was my mother, and DH's father is a saxophonist...i am pretty sure at least one of our kids will have talent....and even though they don't sing in tune yet...DH, his dad, and I have been VERY impressed by their abilty to pick out pick up the rhythms and recognize songs and certain bands VERY quickly...they (particularly joey and audrey) already have excellent ears...so i think it;s a good start :)
    Ron and Nora married 6.3.06 21 cycles, 1 m/c, 4 rounds clomid, 1 round gonal f and 3 IUI anovulatory cycles, LPD
    Joey, Ronnie, and Audrey,
    my awesome IUI 30 week twins, and my surprise miracle Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LOVE my SAIF ladies :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers My Blog!
  • Options

imageyankee42:
    VERY impressed by their abilty to pick out pick up the rhythms and recognize songs and certain bands VERY quickly...they (particularly joey and audrey) already have excellent ears...so i think it;s a good start :)

Good point...Cal has pretty impressive abilities in that realm as well...guess the singing will just come later!

Life is beautiful!

• Options

The only things DS1 will sing are the Alphabet and Twinkle, Twinkle (though his teachers at school say he sings songs he knows -- not sure what).  He only started doing those (and rarely does) ~5 months ago.

He is NOT in tune. It's more like rhythmic talking, really.

I have also been worried that he's tone deaf. I'm very musical (used to win awards for singing and playing piano, though didn't pursue it beyond childhood), but DH is not. He played the trumpet in middle school and he *enjoys* music a lot, but he is not musically gifted.

I guess time will tell!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"