Pennsylvania Babies

Anyone experience mastisis?

What was it like?  I've been nursing for 9 weeks now, and my breasts are incredibly painful...so much so I have trouble holding my own baby close to me!  I heard you are supposed to keep nursing, but is there anything else you can do.  I really don't know if it's mastisis or not, but it's just a hunch since I also have red blotches and am very achy all over.  I have a call into my doctor and am waiting to hear back, but I thought I check to see if anyone else has any advice, too.

Re: Anyone experience mastisis?

• I haven't experienced mastisis (I don't think), but I did go through a clogged duct.  It was painful if anything got near it, blotches, achy, just like you said.  What I did, for about a full day or more, was use warm compresses (just a washcloth soaked in hot water) immediately before nursing, and massage them while nursing to get it loosened up.  Of course this can be difficult if the baby gets hungry earlier than normal, or if you can't set her down right before nursing. And drink lots of water --- that always seems to be the cure-all of everything.  I don't think I was much help here, and I'm sorry you're going through this... the pain is no fun.  I hope your doctor is able to give you some answers.
  • I feel your pain! I had a clogged duct which is what it sounds like you have.  If you have mastisis you would have flu like symptoms as well as pain.  When this happened to me, I just feed though it, which was SOOOOO very painful but it was the only way to get rid of it.  It lasted for maybe 2-3 days.  I hope it gets better for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • No experience here but I wanted to say that I hope your feeling better soon!
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just thought of something ...since you said red blotches...you may have thrush...take a look in your daughters mouth and see if she has any white patches.  DS had that and I got it and was red, blotchy and itchy ....and it was painful at times.  I hope for both of your sakes it is not thrush...it took FOREVER for it to go away!!!!
  • Thanks for the advice ladies.  Looks like it is mastisis though....my temperature has spiked and I feel like I've been hit by a bus.  The doctor prescribed antibiotics, so hopefully I'll start feeling better soon.  I'll try the warm compress, too....any immediate relief would be great.  And, GBL77, thanks for the reminder about thrush....I really, really hope DD doesn't get it from this infection.  Sounds awful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"